What would A2K philosophers say while sitting on a bench?

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 09:59 pm
Recently Frank argued that philosophical discussions on A2K use common words like "to know" in a different manner than your average dude sitting on a bench...

He didn't say HOW different, nor did he give examples of what A2K philosophers would say while sitting on a bench... So let's try and fill in the blanks.

Eg stuff like:

"This bench is only a bench because you and I agree it's a bench. In some other culture, it could be a boat. Though it's so damn heavy it probably won't float but... but a bed maybe, or or... in a gallery it would be a conceptual sculpture... whatever works by agreement!"

"I'm not sitting on this bench right now, it is just another part of the big whole which I am part of, that just happens to be located UNDER my ass."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 14 • Views: 7,129 • Replies: 176

neologist

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 01:20 am
@Olivier5,
I'm sitting in a chair right now. I'll try to find a bench tomorrow.
0 Replies

InkRune

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 01:20 am
This bench, if it was made of wood, I wonder, from what tree the wood would have come from. And just who made this bench anyways. I wonder how many people have sat on this bench and wondered,
"This bench, if it was made of wood..."
neologist

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 01:24 am
@InkRune,
Oh! The bench I was thinking of is made of recycled plastic boards.
InkRune

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 01:26 am
@neologist,
Hence the "IF" it was wood...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 06:27 am
@InkRune,
Define "bench".
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 06:44 am
"Sedeo, ergo sum", i.e. "I sit, therefore I am."
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 07:03 am
I'm stuck. I should have sat on the only bench in the park that had a "dry paint" sign.
jespah

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 07:03 am
Dammit, the bus is late.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 07:26 am
"Goddamn it, I will never get into this game."

Joe(fuming)Nation
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 08:39 am
I'm not sitting on a bench. This structure which we choose, in this country anyway, to call a bench is supporting my body as I place it in a squatting position. And speaking of ass, holy **** look at the ass on her.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 08:49 am
@Olivier5,
What I actually said was something along the lines of: “I treat the word “know” differently in everyday life…than I do when in a discussion in a philosophy forum.”

I think most people do.

Olivier has been indicating in the other thread where this arose that my thinking on this is very strange…and he is having trouble understanding it.

I have no problem in a everyday context saying, for instance, that I know I am sitting in my den typing on a keyboard.

In a philosophy context, I probably would make some concessions to the notion that what we call “the real world” may be nothing more than an illusion…and/or to the notions of the non-dualists here, who would question whether there actually is an “I” or a “den.”

But as I said, Olivier seems to be having trouble with this. I suspect most people use the word with less “rigor” when using it in everyday conversations…than they would when discussing the esoteric things we discuss in the philosophy threads.

I am reminded at this point of something Richard Feynman said to Bill Moyers or Charlie Rose (don’t remember which one) in a PBS interview before his death. He said a variation of: “We have to be careful when using the word “know”…because to truly “know” something requires a great deal more than most people will bring to the issue supposedly known. Knowing something is a very, very difficult thing to do.”

Now…in everyday conversations, I will seldom take any of that into consideration when saying, “I know I am sitting here in my den and I know I am alive at this moment.” But in a philosophy discussion…I might very well use something more akin to, “It certainly appears that I am sitting here in my den…and it certainly seems to me that I am alive.”

So YES…I do treat the word “know” differently in everyday life than I do when I use it here in a thread with the “philosophy” tag.

I would be interested if others do that also…or if I am the only one who does…as apparently, Olivier seems to think.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 09:14 am
I know I'm just a pack of mindless molecules, and that bench is just a pack of mindless molecules too, but then why are my molecules not getting all mixed up with the bench's molecules when I sit on it?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 09:16 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
But as I said, Olivier seems to be having trouble with this. I suspect most people use the word with less “rigor” when using it in everyday conversations…than they would when discussing the esoteric things we discuss in the philosophy threads.

Ok, so your philosophy is a form of rigorous esoterics?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 09:30 am
Well, whatd'ye know? heh.

You can understand his frustration, Frank, when the premise of a discussion is "You can't know anything, you can guess, but that's all.", it kind of removes any reason to discuss anything.

Joe(Not that I know anything)Nation
Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 09:35 am
I was able to bench 360 lbs., more than twice my body weight (then). That was more than 40 years ago, though
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 10:06 am
A philosopher sat on a bench
wrapping his right arm around a sweet wench
"I'm going to give this young lady a go,
though it's something I really can't know,
I'm hoping she'll think I'm a mensch.

Joe( Now you)Nation

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 10:06 am
@hingehead,
My bench (wood and wrought iron) is covered with sticky sap from the Chinese Tallow Tree (common name), which I know as Sapium sebiferum, aka Triadica sebifera, but that other people call the chicken tree or the popcorn tree, though I don't know why they do. I cannot sit on my bench because I am too lazy to clean the sap off. This is probably a philosophical failure of mine, laziness, that is.

The sap is said to be toxic, and I believe that to be true, but am not sure. The tree is not a suitable choice for all landscapes (cite: Sunset Western Garden book, my planting bible, as it were). It should not be planted near wetlands, rivers, or native plant habitats - at the least. It is a self seeding pest in the southeastern U.S. I'm sure of that.

See wiki, if you trust it on this, and in this case I'll trust wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triadica_sebifera
It apparently has its good points too, in that it is a preferred plant for biodiesels, and at first glance from far away, can be considered pretty.

You can tell I'm no philosopher, but I post anyway. I've met the tree personally in an arboretum, if that counts at all re knowing it produces sticky goo.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 11:13 am
http://www.tentonpoker.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/George-Santayana-on-Bench.jpg

I know . . . let's ask Santayana!
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 11:19 am
A bench is a bench of course of course
Unless of course the bench is then a horse
In philosophy microscop-i-sy
Can make it be anything you source
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What would A2K philosophers say while sitting on a bench?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 06:51:18