What would A2K philosophers say while sitting on a bench?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 03:32 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
I have never said it makes sense to ME...which, by the way, is an example of me treating the word "know" differently here...

Are you saying that to treat the word 'know' differently on a philosophical forum or in real life doesn't make sense to you either? Good.

I also did not say that.

You ought really to grow up a bit, Olivier...but don't do it too soon.

Fact is, I think it makes excellent sense.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 03:33 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Yeah. But you're just guessing, Frank. How can we know?

Not my problem how you know anything, Neo.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 03:35 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I do understand. I'm not interested in arguing with you, as this is about eleven years now I've seen you post about not knowing if there are gods, possibly a thousand times, your take on philosophy in a nutshell.

I read now because I admire others' patience.. that is fascinating. On top of being repetitive you seem to be getting more insulting by the week to more people. I don't know that for sure, but it's my observation.

Whatever!
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 03:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No no no I KNOW!

You are saying that you don't KNOW if it makes sense to treat the world 'know' differently in philosophical forums and life. Right?

I love guessing games... Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 04:00 pm
@Olivier5,
Any attempts to define "know"
Code:know
nō/Submit
verb
be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information.
"most people know that CFCs can damage the ozone layer"
synonyms: be aware, realize, be conscious, be informed; More
have knowledge or information concerning.
"I would write to him if I knew his address"
synonyms: have knowledge of, be informed of, be apprised of; More
be absolutely certain or sure about something.
"I just knew it was something I wanted to do"
have developed a relationship with (someone) through meeting and spending time with them; be familiar or friendly with.
in philosophical terms is impossible. Individuals determine "know" by their own subjective base of knowledge which can be right, wrong, or indifferent.

Their "know" can be different from others; that doesn't negate their ability to use the word as they believe it to be what they know. If anyone believes their "know" is wrong, they can always challenge them.

In philosophy, it opens up a whole bag of worms.
neologist

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 04:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You realize you just agreed with Frank, right?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 04:28 pm
@neologist,
You'd be about 100% wrong. Your ability at understanding the English language is now in question.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 04:33 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

No no no I KNOW!

You are saying that you don't KNOW if it makes sense to treat the world 'know' differently in philosophical forums and life. Right?

I love guessing games... Smile

So do I...so we have a win/win situation going here.

Great. Wink

Ummm...I do not understand what you are asking here.

Can you give me a clue?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 04:35 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

You realize you just agreed with Frank, right?

My guess would be that it passed right by him!
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 05:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Do you KNOW if it makes any sense to treat the world 'know' differently in philosophical forums and in life, or not?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 05:36 pm
@Olivier5,
Good question. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 07:00 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Do you KNOW if it makes any sense to treat the world 'know' differently in philosophical forums and in life, or not?

As I said earlier, I think it makes excellent sense.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 07:42 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You THINK or you KNOW?

And what sense does it make then? Why would anyone use the word 'know' differently on a philosophy forum?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 07:54 pm
@neologist,
neo, Frank's "know" is filled with "I'm guessing," "I'm not sure - it could be or maybe not," and don't expect me to define it.

neologist

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 09:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
As I said; Ever the philosopher. Never in the real world.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 10:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank! Did you ever expect that?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 06:46 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You THINK or you KNOW?

And what sense does it make then? Why would anyone use the word 'know' differently on a philosophy forum?

I treat the word "know" differently when using it in casual, everyday conversation...than I do when I use it in a discussion in a philosophy forum, Olivier.

I think it makes sense to do so.

I also think most people who engage in discussions in Internet forums do.

Why are you going on and on about this?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 06:47 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank! Did you ever expect that?

Not in the least...and I must acknowledge that I was (and am) very disappointed that it happened.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 07:10 am
@Frank Apisa,
WHY do you do so, Frank? WHY? Any good or bad reasons to do so, or is it just one of these wild guesses of yours?
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 08:02 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

WHY do you do so, Frank? WHY? Any good or bad reasons to do so, or is it just one of these wild guesses of yours?

I do so because I think it is the proper thing to do, Olivier.

When I use the "know" in casual conversation...I do not feel the need for the word precision I feel in the more formal context of a discussion in a philosophy forum.

In casual conversation in every day life I might say, "Olivier, I know you are fascinated with me...and you simply cannot let this issue die because of that obsession you have with me." And we might go on to trading a few barbs as a result, but I doubt you would spend much time honing in on my use of the word "know" in that thought.

But I really would not like to use the word "know" that way here in the forum, because I think the words "Olivier, I suspect you are fascinated with me...and you simply cannot let this issue die because of that obsession you have with me" would be more appropriate. I also suspect that if I did use "know" rather than suspect here in the forum, the question of how I "know" such a thing would almost certainly become another point of contention...a part of the issue.

We wouldn't simply trade a few barbs, but rightly so, you would challenge how I could reasonably claim to "know" that thing.

You might consider putting aside what I suspect to be an unhealthy obsession with me for a bit, Olivier....and ask yourself why you want to keep whipping this dead horse. Why has this item so transfixed you that you would go on about it that other thread...and then actually start another thread about it...and continue to pursue it the way you are?

I simply treat the word "know" differently in casual conversations than I do here in a more formal context; I think it reasonable to do so; and I am doing it.

What is going on, Buddy?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 02:11:22