What would A2K philosophers say while sitting on a bench?

Olivier5

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 09:50 am
@Frank Apisa,
You said you were more precise, which means what? Nothing. For in actual fact you are LESS precise in philosophy than in life. In life you know many things, some better than others, and you are able to differentiate between the fine gradations from the very well known, to the somewhat known, to the vaguely perceived, and to the totally unknown. In philosophy, you carpet-bomb the entire universe with the same unique statement: "I don't know". Very unprecise if you ask me...
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 10:02 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You said you were more precise, which means what? Nothing. For in actual fact you are LESS precise in philosophy than in life. In life you know many things, some better than others, and you are able to differentiate between the fine gradations from the very well known, to the somewhat known, to the vaguely perceived, and to the totally unknown. In philosophy, you carpet-bomb the entire universe with the same unique statement: "I don't know". Very unprecise if you ask me...

Well, I am not asking you, because I think you have allowed your animosity toward me to cloud your thinking.

I've given several examples of how and why I treat the word "know" differently in casual conversation as opposed to the more structured and demanding setting of an Internet philosophy forum.

My guess is that you are not UNABLE to comprehend and appreciate what I am saying...

...you have decided you will not.

Nothing I can do about your obstinance, Olivier...except get as much enjoyment out of it as possible.

Which, of course, I am doing. Wink
Olivier5

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 10:28 am
@Frank Apisa,
Lol. Ask yourself then: what do you know in philosophy and what do you know in real life? You will see that in the former case, you have repudiated the possibility of knowledge entirely, while in the latter, you apply a fine gradation of different levels of knowledge, from the "certain" to the "almost certain" to the "very probable", etc etc. all the way until "no clue whatsoever".

Ask yourself: Which of these two understandings of knowledge is finer, more precise, and less broad-brushy? Which is deeper, more constructive, and more useful? Which truly embodies the love and respect for knowledge that philo-sophia is supposed to mean?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:13 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Lol. Ask yourself then: what do you know in philosophy and what do you know in real life? You will see that in the former case, you have repudiated the possibility of knowledge entirely,

Really?

And where did I say that...or even suggest it.

Why do you not quote...instead of making stuff up?

I understand it is easier to make up stuff and argue against it, but it really doesn't cut it here.

Quote:
while in the latter, you apply a fine gradation of different levels of knowledge, from the "certain" to the "almost certain" to the "very probable", etc etc. all the way until "no clue whatsoever".

I treat the word "know" differently in everyday conversation...than I do in a discussion in an Internet philosophy forum.

Quote:

Ask yourself: Which of these two understandings of knowledge is finer, more precise, and less broad-brushy? Which is deeper, more constructive, and more useful? Which truly embodies the love and respect for knowledge that philo-sophia is supposed to mean?

Ask it of yourself, if you want to, Olivier.

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy you struggling with this. Wink
Olivier5

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:52 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Almost everyday here on A2K. What do you know philosophically, Frank???

Anything comes to mind?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 12:14 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:

Almost everyday here on A2K. What do you know philosophically, Frank???

Anything comes to mind?

Let me take it from a different direction.

How on Earth could I possibly KNOW that the possibility of knowledge does not exist?

I can only share what I do not know...and mostly that has to do with Ultimate questions....the true nature of the REALITY of existence, in particular.

But because I do not have the answer...most assuredly is not a repudiation of the possibility of knowledge.

Are you thinking before posting?

If not...try to do so. It will save us all time.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 12:37 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Socrates said: the only thing I know is that I don't know anything. And you've been repeating the same mantra ever since ;-)

And whenever some other poster says he knows this or that, you keep telling him it's only a guess...

Quote:
How on Earth could I possibly KNOW that the possibility of knowledge does not exist?

A very good question. You should ask it more often.

Another very good question is: How on Earth could you possibly KNOW that it makes any sense, philosophically, to treat the word "know" differently on a philosophic forum and in "real life"?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 12:44 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Socrates said: the only thing I know is that I don't know anything. And you've been repeating the same mantra ever since ;-)

I am not Socrates, Olivier...but I was going to answer your earlier question with a variation on that.

Quote:
And whenever some other poster says he knows this or that, you keep telling him it's only a guess...

I have never done that. WHY DO YOU NOT QUOTE...RATHER THAN PARAPHRASE...which is a talent for which you are singularly unqualified?

At best, I ASK if the assertion is something the person knows...or if it is a guess.

There is no possible way I can KNOW that the person does not know.
Quote:

Quote:

A very good question. You should ask it more often.

I'll ask it every time someone like you creates a strawman that says I suggest otherwise.

Quote:
Another very good question is: How on Earth could you possibly KNOW that it makes any sense, philosophically, to treat the word "know" differently on a philosophic forum and in "real life"?

Only a good question to an amateur who is almost hopelessly devoted to considering me wrong...something that amuses me no end.

Anyway...I do treat the word "know" differently in casual conversation than I do when using it in a philosophy forum. I know I DO...and that is all I have ever said.

So what is your point?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 12:45 pm
@Olivier5,
By the way...I want you to KNOW that I sincerely am honored and delighted that you are so obsessed with this.

Thank you. Wink
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 01:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
My point is:

How on Earth could you possibly KNOW that it makes any sense, philosophically, to treat the word "know" differently on a philosophic forum and in "real life"?

Thank you.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 01:14 pm
@Olivier5,
<completely agree>
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 01:21 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

My point is:

How on Earth could you possibly KNOW that it makes any sense, philosophically, to treat the word "know" differently on a philosophic forum and in "real life"?

Thank you.

MY point, in contrast, is that you are obsessed with this, Olivier.

I treat the word "know" differently in casual, everyday conversation than I do when discussing in a philosophy forum on the Internet.

I have given several examples of those differences.

Whether it "makes any sense or not" to you...does not interest me at all. I have never said it makes sense to ME...which, by the way, is an example of me treating the word "know" differently here...so gotta wonder why are you using that form of question?

Seems to me that you simply are so hung up and strung out on negating anything I say...that you will not acknowledge that. (In casual, real life, I might have included the word "know" in there somewhere, but I don't treat the word "know" the same way here in the forums.)

I am not going to jump through hoops for you, Olivier, no matter how many avenues you travel toward that end. You will have to deal with your obsession some other way.

I can assure you with absolute certainty that I DO INDEED treat the word "know" differently and more casually when engaging in everyday conversation...than when I am in a thread here in the philosophy forum.

I suspect most people do.

Jeez! You Frenchies are sure stubborn.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 01:23 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

<completely agree>

My guess is you don't even understand what is going on, Osso. You just chime up from time to time...usually inappropriately.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 02:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I have never said it makes sense to ME...which, by the way, is an example of me treating the word "know" differently here...

Are you saying that to treat the word 'know' differently on a philosophical forum or in real life doesn't make sense to you either? Good.
neologist

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 02:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Yeah. But you're just guessing, Frank. How can we know?
Olivier5

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 03:05 pm
@ossobuco,
<thanks Smile>
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 03:21 pm
@Setanta,
That bench was formed for the ass. Why not toilet seats?
neologist

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 03:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
That bench was formed for the ass. Why not toilet seats?
Do you contemplate what's true
Whilst sitting in the loo?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 03:26 pm
@neologist,
All the time; what better way to pass the time whilst sitting on the potty?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 03:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I do understand. I'm not interested in arguing with you, as this is about eleven years now I've seen you post about not knowing if there are gods, possibly a thousand times, your take on philosophy in a nutshell.

I read now because I admire others' patience.. that is fascinating. On top of being repetitive you seem to be getting more insulting by the week to more people. I don't know that for sure, but it's my observation.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 02:01:32