A mouse embryo injected with cells made pluripotent through stress?

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 11:07 am
Does "A mouse embryo injected with cells made pluripotent through stress, tagged with a fluorescent protein" mean "(Scientist) first make cells pluripotent by stress, and then injected the cells into a mouse embryo, and the cells were tagged/marked by a fluorescent protein"?

Context:

A mouse embryo injected with cells made pluripotent through stress, tagged with a fluorescent protein.
In 2006, Japanese researchers reported1 a technique for creating cells that have the embryonic ability to turn into almost any cell type in the mammalian body — the now-famous induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cells. In papers published this week in Nature2, 3, another Japanese team says that it has come up with a surprisingly simple method — exposure to stress, including a low pH — that can make cells that are even more malleable than iPS cells, and do it faster and more efficiently.

More:
http://www.nature.com/news/acid-bath-offers-easy-path-to-stem-cells-1.14600
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 692 • Replies: 7
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 06:46 am
@oristarA,
Well, the answer is yes.
But what is the purpose of injecting the cells into a mouse embryo? For comparison of these induced stem cells and the embryonic stem cells?

I wonder whether JPB will appear here.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 07:28 am
@oristarA,
The creation of stem cells through this method may eliminate the need and use of embryonic stem cells.

Joe(Major Leap Forward)Nation
oristarA

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 07:52 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

The creation of stem cells through this method may eliminate the need and use of embryonic stem cells.

Joe(Major Leap Forward)Nation

Of course that is a great goal
But here is the question: why have they injected the induced stem cells into the mouse embryo? It sounds funny to me. A kid play?

http://www.nature.com/polopoly_fs/7.15215.1390923929!/image/WEB_cover-art-suggestion-3.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/WEB_cover-art-suggestion-3.jpg

A mouse embryo injected with cells made pluripotent through stress, tagged with a fluorescent protein.
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 09:53 am
@oristarA,
I'm just guessing based on what I've read about other studies.

You take three populations of mice embryos, one, you inject with embryonic stem cells, the second you inject with stem cells which were made pluripotent through stress, third, you don't do anything to at all.

You let all the populations come to term, be born and then you watch them all for signs of disorder. What you hoping for is that the both the regular stem cells and the stress created stem cells will be utilized by their embryonic hosts just as if they were the embryos' OWN stem cells.

You let all the populations grown into maturity and beyond, let them have kits and, maybe, let the kits have kits. (I have no idea how long it takes for a mouse to become an adult, but I know it's not too long.)

The disorders you are looking for could be as evident as failure to thrive or inability to procreate. They could also be as hidden as mutations in the mouse DNA, so you'd have to examine that too.

Meanwhile, the population you left alone is your normal set for comparison.

Collect all the data.

Do this on about 200 populations and you have a nice database showing the safety and efficacy of the stress created stem cells, or whatever detrimental effects they might have.

That is the short version of what, I am sure, is a very complicated process.

Joe( questions?)Nation
oristarA

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2014 11:55 am
@Joe Nation,
Good job, Joe.

Look at this:

Quote:
The team call their new cells "stimulus-triggered acquisition of pluripotency", or STAP cells.

To make sure they really were pluripotent, the team injected the STAP cells from the spleen into an early-stage mouse embryo, or blastocyst. These are typically five or six days old with about eight cells already formed inside. The STAP cells seemed to integrate themselves into the structure, and the embryo went on to form the three "germ layers" that eventually give rise to all cell types in the body. The embryos developed into pups that incorporated STAP cells into every tissue in their body. These pups subsequently gave birth to offspring that also contained STAP cells – showing that the cells incorporated themselves into the animal's sperm or eggs, and were inherited.

MOre:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22129542.500-stem-cell-power-unleashed-after-30-minute-dip-in-acid.html
Joe Nation

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 08:34 am
@oristarA,
Thank you.

You should know that a friend of mine was cured of her blood cancer through the use of stem cell therapy. It's amazing how much you read about a subject when it is really important to you and then hardly ever think about once the importance fades.

Be well.
Joe(Cheers)Nation
Foofie

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 09:08 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

You should know that a friend of mine was cured of her blood cancer through the use of stem cell therapy. It's amazing how much you read about a subject when it is really important to you and then hardly ever think about once the importance fades.

What's important, in my opinion, is that your friend is on your mind, even after the communication in any friendship mode. Too few sincere friendships; too many false friendships.
0 Replies