Officer's body burnt in 'Islamic revenge'

Piffka

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:04 pm
I'm afraid, Hobitbob, that you're getting a little beyond the point. Most Americans didn't care one way or another for Muslim opinion until 9/11. (Sad, possibly, but true.) We were more interested in ourselves. Even the Arabs who'd moved here would just as soon be thinking about what interested them here, not back home. Why should we?

In our naivete, we'd get the Muslims mixed up with the Sikhs, much to the Sikh's distress. We didn't really understand that while all Arabs were pretty much Muslim, not all Muslims are Arab... blah, blah, blah. In fact, our whole country has had to take a two-year crash course in Muslim thought, what the Koran really says, what Shariah law is vs. Hadiths. No country or people has probably gone as far EVER in trying to figure out what in the hell some other culture is about.

So it sounds pretty darn silly for you to compare THAT with the European attitude towards Jews.

And why are we doing that? Because we were attacked. Trust me, everybody would have been a lot happier (if not so well-schooled in Muslim this and Muslim that) if Usama and his little band of henchmen had stayed far, far away.

May I remind you that the Americans whom you say so "eagerly lept on the 'Islam is Evil' bandwagon" didn't even think about Muslims at all until after a whole pile of self-proclaimed Islamic adherents hijacked planes and drove them into populated buildings, yelling about their damned Jihad.

We didn't even know, most of us, what a Jihad was. Couldn't have demonstrated any difference between a Sunni and a Shi'ite. I think I speak for most Americans when I say I would prefer to never ever have known anything about the Koran or Muslims and what they do to each other. (It is my firm belief that most Muslims don't care about the difference between what the Baptists believe and what the Congregationalists preach either. They may have a teensy, tiny feel for who Catholics are, but probably not.) Frankly, I resent having to learn about it because the whole lot sort of pisses me off. You can tell me from now 'til Doomsday that they aren't really so backward and nasty and they're really good to those women under their veils, but, y'know, the more I learn about the culture, the less I like it. I'm a feminist and I just don't go for that Arab attitude.

And, if you want to know the truth, way before this happened, I would have been much nicer about Muslims. My father spent a couple years in Morocco and enjoyed his stay. I like Arab horses. I like the idea of the pyramids. I've always thought palm trees were cool. I used to go out with a second generation Arab... I worked with people from Iran and Iraq and Indonesia during the years I spent at the U.W. library. I was probably more aware than most Americans and the Muslims I knew were having a great time enjoying themselves here, being as far away from the Muslim culture as they could get.

My "CONCEPTUAL LEAP", btw, was from a simple reading of the text as you provided. <I am a good reader, if nothing else.> I have re-read it and it still that paragraph says quite simply that (according to somebody who ought to know better) war comes after inviting people to become Muslim (No thanks!) and then offering kind advice (You really should become a Muslim because Allah rocks!)... THEN, according to your text, war is OK.

Well, that still sounds like a really crappy way to behave, to me. I don't want to and, in fact, nobody can or should (in my way of thinking) force me to believe in their hoodoo beliefs. It's bad enough that I'm having to learn way more about Sunni ways than I ever, EVER wanted to know.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 06:39 pm
Quote:
I have re-read it and it still that paragraph says quite simply that (according to somebody who ought to know better) war comes after inviting people to become Muslim (No thanks!) and then offering kind advice (You really should become a Muslim because Allah rocks!)... THEN, according to your text, war is OK.

I really don't know how you managed to come up with that intereperetation.

*Edited to remove my tendency to be rude to bigoted comments.*
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 07:34 pm
This is from the end of your quote:

'In all cases, Muslims should not initiate the aggression, for Islam is the religion of mercy. War is not the first option in the life of Muslims; rather, it comes after da`wah (inviting to Islam) and kind advice."

Don't initiate aggression.
War is not the first option, it is the third, after an invitation to Islam and "kind advice."

What do *you* think that means?

PS -- If you're calling me "Piffer" -- please note, I'm female.

Also... the headline was inflammatory but I think I speak for many when I say I find it shocking that in the 21st c. of the C.E. there are folks who have it in their current religious hadiths that it is OK to cut off an ear if it has been done to one of "their own." The Muslims are the ones who are making a huge deal about being different. Americans have been far more welcoming of all groups to the United States, and far less likely to cut off an ear, rape a girl or have multiple wives.

Just in case you're wondering, I'm in equal opportunity dismay over any other fundamentalist. All that means, to me, is that they want to set themselves apart and be different.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 08:05 pm
Piffka wrote:
This is from the end of your quote:

'In all cases, Muslims should not initiate the aggression, for Islam is the religion of mercy. War is not the first option in the life of Muslims; rather, it comes after da`wah (inviting to Islam) and kind advice."

Don't initiate aggression.
War is not the first option, it is the third, after an invitation to Islam and "kind advice."

What do *you* think that means?

I think it refers to response to aggression, like everything else in teh opinion refers.

Quote:
PS -- If you're calling me "Piffer" -- please note, I'm female.

Piffette?

Quote:
Also... the headline was inflammatory but I think I speak for many when I say I find it shocking that in the 21st c. of the C.E. there are folks who have it in their current religious hadiths that it is OK to cut off an ear if it has been done to one of "their own." The Muslims are the ones who are making a huge deal about being different. Americans have been far more welcoming of all groups to the United States, and far less likely to cut off an ear, rape a girl or have multiple wives.

Unless you live in the rural south, for example (except for the multiple wives part. Wink )

Quote:
Just in case you're wondering, I'm in equal opportunity dismay over any other fundamentalist. All that means, to me, is that they want to set themselves apart and be different.

Good to see you are the usual Piff___ that I usually agree with. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lusatian

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 10:08 pm
To those who have risked censure by expressing honest opinions outside of "political correctness" I say, admirable. I may not agree with everything you say, but in one fundamental issue I concur. Islam may be a "religion of peace" (potential irony), but its adherents have been some of the most violent opponents of modern civilization from the last half of the 20th century.

How many suicide bombers kill innocents every year and are not Islamic?

How many Bhuddists detonated C-4 in marketplaces last year?

How many planes have Christians hijacked in the last decades?

Granted each religion have had periods of violence (Crusades, etc), but I'm not stressing hundreds or even thousands of years ago. I'm pointing out what transpires today. Most Muslims are probably peaceful, but the fact remains that the vast majority of individuals alive in the world today who support and at times carry out attacks targeted at innocent civilians in the name of religion participate in this religion.

I wish it were not so, but I choose realism over "correctness".
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 10:24 pm
Hello Lusatian... yeah, right now the reality of the world situation overrides more tolerant thoughts.

As I said, I have known a few people who were Muslim, and they were not rabble-rousers or full of hatred. I'm sure that most Muslims probably are peaceful, but it is a strange religion and I think all religions have a tendency to make people twisted. This one just twists a little harder.

Yes, Hobitbob ... we do agree on most things and I remain the usual, unrepentent Piff.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:28 pm
I'm sure you think you are being "realistic." I think you are giving in to intelectual laziness.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:48 pm
deleted
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 11:50 pm
hobitbob wrote:
What I find so offensive in this thread is the phrase "bizarre Muslim ritual." It is designed to be inflammatory. I don't know what the Spanish government minister's reasoning was for using the phrase, and I would hope he was chastised for it, but such rhetoric is tailor made for petty low-browed hate mongers like Tarantual to exploit.

This was the statement
Quote:
The interior ministry said the act of desecration could have been part of "an Islamic rite of revenge".

Which looks surprisingly similar to this.
Quote:
Second, it is permissible to mutilate the dead only in case of retaliation.

Intelectual laziness indeed.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 12:20 am
Mesquite, what you and the others seem to be deliberately ignoring is that this act of "retaliation" is premissible only when similar acts have been perpetuated on Muslims first. I find it very difficult to understand why you are willing to grant validity to an act that your very own source insists is invalid except in very specific circumstances.
You seem to be engaging on a devaluation of a group that is different from yourselves on the basis of faulty reasoning.

Piffka said:
Quote:
right now the reality of the world situation overrides more tolerant thoughts.

Which is strange, considering that lack of tolerance and understanding of a large "other" is what has gotten the US into an intolerable situation in the first place (60-odd years of double crossing the peoples of the near east and North Africa).

Followed by:
Quote:
As I said, I have known a few people who were Muslim, and they were not rabble-rousers or full of hatred. I'm sure that most Muslims probably are peaceful, but it is a strange religion and I think all religions have a tendency to make people twisted. This one just twists a little harder.

Which sounds very much to me like:
"I know a few niggers, and they are okay, but they're a strange group, and though all people have a tendency to be ____, these folks are just a little more ____."

Lusation, fratris Cravenis, wrote:
Quote:
Islam may be a "religion of peace" (potential irony), but its adherents have been some of the most violent opponents of modern civilization from the last half of the 20th century.

This is sort of a nonsense argument. What do you consider to be neccesary to become an "opponent of civilization?" The Islamic world has embraced technology with astonishing rapidity.S imilarly, I was not aware that recalcitrant tribes in Borneo and South America were Muslims. Wink If you are referring to the actions of oppressive dictators, I would hasten to remind you that it was the western world that placed most of those dictators in positions of power in the first place.

Regarding:
Quote:
Granted each religion have had periods of violence (Crusades, etc), but I'm not stressing hundreds or even thousands of years ago. I'm pointing out what transpires today.

And how much of this violence is truly religious in nature, and how much is politically motivated and given a veneer of religion as a "sugar coating?" My personal opinion is that this, like much "religious violence," is actually political in nature, and uses apocalyptic rhetoric as a convenience.

As for "political correctness," I think this is more common sense than any sort of artificial ideology.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 12:38 am
From a PM I sent to another member whose opinions I value,this is an attempt to explain my position on theis discussion. I apologise if I am being unclear.
-------------------------------------------------------
It just seems to me that Trantual jumped on an unfortunate comment, that has its origins in several centuries of animosity between Muslims and Christians in Spain, and amplified by the post-WWII immigration situation, and used it to formulate an invalid argument. From there, Mesquite posted a selectively edited blurb that implied a message entirely different from what the original source meant, and the situation rolled rapidly downhill afterward.

Perhaps I am hypersensitive due to my background and upbringing, but there seems to be a rising willingness to demonize ISlam as a convenient "other,' upon which to place the burden of American society's anxieties, and I personally find that to be indicative of sloppy thinking. I am (perhaps unfairly) reminded of the rhetoric surrounding Judaism in most of Europe and the US in the 1920s and 1930s, as well as the anti-protestant/anti-catholic rhetoric of the 16-18th centuries, the anti-Muslim/Jewish rhetoric of the 8-17th centuries, etc... I guess I don't see anything new here, per se, just a willingness to embrace old fallacies, and excuses for antagonism.
-------------------------------------------------------
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:35 am
Lusatian wrote:
To those who have risked censure by expressing honest opinions outside of "political correctness" I say, admirable. I may not agree with everything you say, but in one fundamental issue I concur. Islam may be a "religion of peace" (potential irony), but its adherents have been some of the most violent opponents of modern civilization from the last half of the 20th century.

How many suicide bombers kill innocents every year and are not Islamic?

How many Bhuddists detonated C-4 in marketplaces last year?

How many planes have Christians hijacked in the last decades?

Granted each religion have had periods of violence (Crusades, etc), but I'm not stressing hundreds or even thousands of years ago. I'm pointing out what transpires today. Most Muslims are probably peaceful, but the fact remains that the vast majority of individuals alive in the world today who support and at times carry out attacks targeted at innocent civilians in the name of religion participate in this religion.

I wish it were not so, but I choose realism over "correctness".

I was going to say something similar to this, so instead, I will say ditto.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:53 am
Officially, there's still no other esult than on April 19 - "Instituto Anatómico Forense" is still researching.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:47 am
Hobitbob -- I am annoyed but not surprised by your running commentary about me. I am telling it as I see it. You don't like that and hit at me while continuing to apologize for Islam. Still, you haven't convinced me of anything except you are the one who is being blind to reality. You can be as tolerant as you want, but if someone is bearing down on you with a large, deadly weapon, I hope that you get out of their way.

Despite your uncalled-for slur on my character, there is a huge difference between fearing someone because they look different (fear of other races) and fearing someone because they act different because of their religion. That has become especially evident when these same religious folk repeat odd mantras about Allah being infallible on every single document and in every official speech, while their most sacred documents discuss the ways to "encourage" changing everyone else's belief system. The fact that the more I learn (unwillingly and with an awful fascination) about this religion, the more I find not to like. Yes, the Bible says things about an eye for an eye, etc. but that is, for most people... the secularized Christians... an old Judaic law, not a Christian one, and nobody except the most wacko ones believe it. Meanwhile, I'd like to point out that I am neither Christian nor Jew, I'm a freakin' Pagan.

(And I KNOW what the Muslims think of Pagans and I resent it.)

The problem with Islam is that instead of a more tolerant "new testament" there are hadiths and shari'ah laws which are much crueler and much less likely to be acceptable to anyone outside the religion. To find that when Muslims are really angry they can point to some paragraph by somebody and see that it is acceptable to mutilate people is something YOU should find shocking. But no... apparently, you have fallen back on the ... it is all the Americans (and Brits and French and etc.) FAULT because of old lines drawn in the sand and establishment of Israel and oh, we've been mean to them and stolen their oil. To me, the rank and file Muslim would be smarter to look towards their own leaders for who is stealing what, but... I digress.

I don't know of any mutilation by Americans on Muslims, but that is, to you, OK, because all it takes is that Muslims believe it happened to them. Maybe not really a mutilation, maybe it was symbolic, but it seemed to be equal in the minds of their leaders who must be right because their god tells them they are.

And that is a big problem. Whenever there are no checks to a system such as Islam, then hell is bound to follow, whether you call it politics or religion. I am losing patience with this entire apologetic tone for the entire Islam culture. I wish that you would take a moment to tell me what you see as their flaws. It wouldn't kill you to mention them, would it?

I must admit, I see plenty. I am in agreement with Taslima Nasrin. I especially don't like the way the treat their women (The reality of it, not the glorified tenets of the religion which can be and are so easily changed by a hadith) and frankly, that is a deal-killer for me right there. I also don't like the way they remain, in fact, they seemingly glory at still being, in the midst of a stupid tribal culture of who owes whom, who is related to whom and who hates whom. These Muslims need to, in my very personal opinion, drag themselves out of the dark ages of fundamentalism and smell the poppies.

The reality is also, I'd like to point out, that if the United States truly wanted to blow Iraq out of the water and hang the consequences to any women and children, they would and they could do so. We have big weapons, monstrous weapons. Despite George Bush being, imho, a nut case, we are refraining from that and trying not to do any damage except to the hate-mongerers. It is true that there are lots of Americans over there right now trying to rebuild that country. While I don't agree with the reasons we are there, I don't see the Americans (or any of the rest of the coalition) as stealing stuff, raping women, mutilating corpses or blowing up trains. I doubt if al Qaeda would be so circumspect.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:59 am
Well done Piffka.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:16 am
Watch out McGentrix, Very Happy -- I contribute to John Kerry and will work hard to have him elected.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:24 am
Doesn't matter. Everyone can agree on some things.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:38 am
Piffka wrote:
Hobitbob -- I am annoyed but not surprised by your running commentary about me. I am telling it as I see it. You don't like that and hit at me while continuing to apologize for Islam. Still, you haven't convinced me of anything except you are the one who is being blind to reality. You can be as tolerant as you want, but if someone is bearing down on you with a large, deadly weapon, I hope that you get out of their way.

I am not "apologizing" for Islam. I simply find the tendency of you, and some others on this board to demonize an "other" reprehensible.

Quote:
Despite your uncalled-for slur on my character, there is a huge difference between fearing someone because they look different (fear of other races) and fearing someone because they act different because of their religion.

And that difference is?

Quote:
That has become especially evident when these same religious folk repeat odd mantras about Allah being infallible on every single document and in every official speech, while their most sacred documents discuss the ways to "encourage" changing everyone else's belief system.

Have you spoken to many Christian fundamentalists recently?

Quote:
The fact that the more I learn (unwillingly and with an awful fascination) about this religion, the more I find not to like. Yes, the Bible says things about an eye for an eye, etc. but that is, for most people... the secularized Christians... an old Judaic law, not a Christian one, and nobody except the most wacko ones believe it.

The same holds true for Islam. It is the crazies who are getting the selective press coverage, not the mainstream. Again, similar to the Christian fundies.

Quote:
Meanwhile, I'd like to point out that I am neither Christian nor Jew, I'm a freakin' Pagan.

How nice, I'm pretty much agnostic.

Quote:
(And I KNOW what the Muslims think of Pagans and I resent it.)

As well you should, you should also resent what the fundamentalists think of Pagans. However, I hope what you are referring to is modern doctrine, not the commonly repeated admonition to "slay the pagans," which actually refers to the conflict with non proto-Muslims, Christians, and Jews, in Medina during the 7th Century.

Quote:
The problem with Islam is that instead of a more tolerant "new testament" there are hadiths and shari'ah laws which are much crueler and much less likely to be acceptable to anyone outside the religion.

This is what makes me suspect you actually know very little about it. Read some of the references listed in the UW link. You also might with to actually read the Q'uran. A reliable on-line version may be found at www.sacred-texts.com .

Quote:
To find that when Muslims are really angry they can point to some paragraph by somebody and see that it is acceptable to mutilate people is something YOU should find shocking.

This has more to do with my ongoing training as an historian than anything else. Very little people do to each other shocks me, and the fact that they use religion to justify it shocks me even less. What you and the others here are still neglecting is that the "cyber-fatwaa" is actually condemning modern examples of this practice.

Quote:
But no... apparently, you have fallen back on the ... it is all the Americans (and Brits and French and etc.) FAULT because of old lines drawn in the sand and establishment of Israel and oh, we've been mean to them and stolen their oil. To me, the rank and file Muslim would be smarter to look towards their own leaders for who is stealing what, but... I digress.

This is where you have fallen back into American Exceptionalism. "Those people just are not like us, not as smart as us, etc..." which, quite frankly, I am surprised to read coming from someone whose writing 'til now suggested the opposite.

Quote:
I don't know of any mutilation by Americans on Muslims, but that is, to you, OK, because all it takes is that Muslims believe it happened to them.

You did actually read the entire cyber-fatwa, right?

Quote:
Maybe not really a mutilation, maybe it was symbolic, but it seemed to be equal in the minds of their leaders who must be right because their god tells them they are.

This again is lazy reasoning. "Those people" again.

Quote:
And that is a big problem. Whenever there are no checks to a system such as Islam, then hell is bound to follow, whether you call it politics or religion. I am losing patience with this entire apologetic tone for the entire Islam culture. I wish that you would take a moment to tell me what you see as their flaws. It wouldn't kill you to mention them, would it?

This reminds me of the constant refrain: "Why are you liberals so against pointing out the good things that have happened."

Quote:
I must admit, I see plenty. I am in agreement with Taslima Nasrin. I especially don't like the way the treat their women (The reality of it, not the glorified tenets of the religion which can be and are so easily changed by a hadith) and frankly, that is a deal-killer for me right there.

That is slowly beginning to change. The recent publicity surrounding domestic abuse in the Kingdom is a very positive step. Similar changes are occurring in non-Muslim societies as well, in Asia and Africa. I suspect you tend not to pay attention to these because they are not Muslims.

Quote:
I also don't like the way they remain, in fact, they seemingly glory at still being, in the midst of a stupid tribal culture of who owes whom, who is related to whom and who hates whom.

I suspect that you are blaming Islam for things which is is not responsible. Are you aware that current Islamic tribal societies preserve aspects of tribal culture that pre-date Islam? I also wonder if you feel the same way about similar aspects of tribal cultures in Asia, Africa, and South America? If not, what is the difference?

Quote:
These Muslims need to, in my very personal opinion, drag themselves out of the dark ages of fundamentalism and smell the poppies.

And you need to pull your head out of your butt and recognize your own predjudices before castigating the rest of the world for its perceived inadequacies.

Quote:
The reality is also, I'd like to point out, that if the United States truly wanted to blow Iraq out of the water and hang the consequences to any women and children, they would and they could do so. We have big weapons, monstrous weapons. Despite George Bush being, imho, a nut case, we are refraining from that and trying not to do any damage except to the hate-mongerers. It is true that there are lots of Americans over there right now trying to rebuild that country. While I don't agree with the reasons we are there, I don't see the Americans (or any of the rest of the coalition) as stealing stuff, raping women, mutilating corpses or blowing up trains. I doubt if al Qaeda would be so circumspect.

Again, no one has suggested that the US is mutilating corpses. For the umpteenth time, the cyber-fatwa above condemns the practice! I have rarely met a pagan who shares such stupid ideas with the fundamentalist Christians. It makes me quite sad.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 04:15 pm
hobitbob wrote:
I am not "apologizing" for Islam. I simply find the tendency of you, and some others on this board to demonize an "other" reprehensible. ....

For the umpteenth time, the cyber-fatwa above condemns the practice! I have rarely met a pagan who shares such stupid ideas with the fundamentalist Christians. It makes me quite sad.

Oh for Pete's sake. Demonize an other? Share stupid ideas with fundamentalist Christians? The Muslim religion calls for demonizing everybody but them... and now, it is about demonizing those within their "otherness" who aren't radical enough. It is hard not to demonize a group that calls me a demon. Read your text, Muslims don't like Polytheistic Pagans. I'm making a huge assumption that most Muslims want to leave me alone about my religion just as much as I want to leave them alone about theirs. I am not going to go back and forth on this with you, Hobitbob. I don't want to know more about Hadiths, or Shari'ah Law or be given yet another description of how good the Koran is. Really, I doubt there is a single Muslim who wants to know about the poetry I read, the beliefs I have or the texts I consult. But somehow because I'm an intolerant, demonizing stupid person, I am supposed to read and "try to understand" this religion. Well, I've read enough.

IMHO The entire Muslim religion sucks. Just because I feel that way doesn't mean I'm stupid. It doesn't mean that I haven't thought about it. It doesn't mean I'm intolerant. It does mean that I am not anxious to read yet another goddam Fatwa.

F*** the Fatwas.

The fact that Muslims would be willing to have a recent and straight-faced discussion of whether or not mutilation could be OK under certain circumstances is enough to make me scream. Can you imagine the uproar if leaders of the UN decided to have a long-winded discussion about when and where mutilation might be good?

Oh, Hobitbob, I'm glad that they decided it wasn't a good thing. I'm just surprised that it came up at all. Of course it came up for one reason.

The fact is that corpses have been mutilated and it wasn't done by Christians and it wasn't done by Jews and it wasn't done by Hindus and it wasn't even done by Polytheistic Pagans.

You seem to think that I should be thrilled that after that planned and extensive mutilation in Falujah last week, a bunch of guys (not any women, of course) get together in turbans and tut-tut. Well, where's the justice? Where's the apology? Where's the "Oops"?

Here are some Muslims I like: The Institute for the Secularisation of Islamic Society (ISIS) which was "formed to promote the ideas of rationalism, secularism, democracy and human rights within Islamic society."

Quote:
ISIS promotes freedom of expression, freedom of thought and belief, freedom of intellectual and scientific inquiry, freedom of conscience and religion - including the freedom to change one's religion or belief - and freedom from religion: the freedom not to believe in any deity.

Statement of Principles
We share the ideals of a democratic society, and a secular state that does not endorse any religion, religious institution, or any religious dogma. The basis for its authority is in man-made law, not in religious doctrine or in divine revelation. In a theocracy of the type that Islamic fundamentalists wish to establish, sovereignty belongs to god, but in a democracy sovereignty belongs to the people. We therefore favor the firm separation of religion and state: without such a separation there can be no freedom from tyranny, and such a separation is the sine qua non for a secular state.

We believe in the primacy of the rule of law: a common civil code under which all men and women have equal protection of their rights and freedoms.

We endorse the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Covenants on Human Rights without qualification. We are particularly concerned to promote and protect the rights of women and those with minority beliefs: all should be equal before the law.

We are dedicated to combating fanaticism, intolerance, violent fundamentalism, and terrorism by showing the intellectual inadequacy of the fanatics' programmes, the historical inaccuracy of their claims, the philosophical poverty of their arguments, and the totalitarian nature of their thought.

We defend the right of free inquiry, and the free expression of ideas. We therefore reserve the right to examine the historical foundations of Islam, and to explain the rise and fall of Islam by the normal mechanisms of human history.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 05:16 pm
Piffka wrote:
hobitbob wrote:
I am not "apologizing" for Islam. I simply find the tendency of you, and some others on this board to demonize an "other" reprehensible. ....

For the umpteenth time, the cyber-fatwa above condemns the practice! I have rarely met a pagan who shares such stupid ideas with the fundamentalist Christians. It makes me quite sad.

Oh for Pete's sake. Demonize an other? Share stupid ideas with fundamentalist Christians? The Muslim religion calls for demonizing everybody but them... and now, it is about demonizing those within their "otherness" who aren't radical enough.

Your ignoreance is showing again, and you fly it proudly like it was a flag! Islam actually is doctrinally as accepting as any other Abrahamic faith. To my mind this makes it not accepting enough, to others it may make it too accepting. The acts and opinions of a few radicals should not be taken to be typical of the lot.

Quote:
It is hard not to demonize a group that calls me a demon. Read your text, Muslims don't like Polytheistic Pagans. I'm making a huge assumption that most Muslims want to leave me alone about my religion just as much as I want to leave them alone about theirs. I am not going to go back and forth on this with you, Hobitbob. I don't want to know more about Hadiths, or Shari'ah Law or be given yet another description of how good the Koran is. Really, I doubt there is a single Muslim who wants to know about the poetry I read, the beliefs I have or the texts I consult. But somehow because I'm an intolerant, demonizing stupid person, I am supposed to read and "try to understand" this religion. Well, I've read enough.

I'm impressed. Was it hard to slam your mind shut like this? I've lost most of the respect I had for you. Thanks for proudly displaying your hypocrisy. Have you signed up to work for Fred Phelps yet?

Quote:
IMHO The entire Muslim religion sucks. Just because I feel that way doesn't mean I'm stupid. It doesn't mean that I haven't thought about it. It doesn't mean I'm intolerant. It does mean that I am not anxious to read yet another goddam Fatwa.

It means you are just the sort of closeminded bigot you probably rail against when they accuse you of devil worship, etc...

Quote:
F*** the Fatwas.

Rolling Eyes

Quote:
The fact that Muslims would be willing to have a recent and straight-faced discussion of whether or not mutilation could be OK under certain circumstances is enough to make me scream. Can you imagine the uproar if leaders of the UN decided to have a long-winded discussion about when and where mutilation might be good?

Somone who was troubled by the incident asked a question, answers were given. Again, this is not that unusual in the world of religion.

Quote:
Oh, Hobitbob, I'm glad that they decided it wasn't a good thing. I'm just surprised that it came up at all. Of course it came up for one reason.

Yes, someone was bothered by what happened at Fallujah, and wanted to understand it.

Quote:
The fact is that corpses have been mutilated and it wasn't done by Christians and it wasn't done by Jews and it wasn't done by Hindus and it wasn't even done by Polytheistic Pagans.

Nor was it done by "Muslims" per se, acting in the name of their religion. It was done by a mob that was expressing its dissatisfaction with the occupation.

Quote:
You seem to think that I should be thrilled that after that planned and extensive mutilation in Falujah last week, a bunch of guys (not any women, of course) get together in turbans and tut-tut. Well, where's the justice? Where's the apology? Where's the "Oops"?

The "oops" is in the cyber-fatwa, you either don't care to see it, or you are too stupid to do so.

Quote:
Here are some Muslims I like: The Institute for the Secularisation of Islamic Society (ISIS) which was "formed to promote the ideas of rationalism, secularism, democracy and human rights within Islamic society."

Nothing new under the sun. Remember the "young Turks?"

I'm impressed, I never thought I would intereact with a bigoted pagan. there is a first time for everything, I guess.
0 Replies