ups and downs

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 12:59 am
My girlfriend and I have been dating for nearly 4 months now. We've been having more and more fights where I feel like I put in significantly more than she does. She disagrees. Today was especially bad. We were very affectionate with each other earlier in the day. But as time went on, we grew apart in the span of the day. I'm not sure how to describe it. Earlier tonight, she felt sick, and I went and cared for her for 3 hours. Afterwards, I asked if she wanted to stay over and just spend time watching something with me and she declined saying she was tired and wanted to go home. I offered to go keep her company till she wanted to go to bed since it was still really early and since we hadn't really spent much time together today doing something together. She accepted. After we got there, she decided she wanted to do homework instead, and I asked if we could do it somewhere private instead of a public study room, she declined. I was frustrated and told her I felt like we grew apart so fast some days and it bothers me. She told me today was just a bad day. After eating with me, she left to go do homework by herself completely opting to stop hanging with me. She told me she had more important things to do than make me feel better about today and promptly left after offering a hug. I guess what I'm asking is, is this a problem or is this normal? I felt insulted when she told me she didn't have time for me when the homework she was doing was due 3 days from now. Am I being too sensitive? Should I cut back on the amount of time I put into us? How do I deal with this situation in general?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 533 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 08:19 am
@solaser123,
If I were sick for 3 hours, so sick that someone needed to closely care for me, and then I had homework, I wouldn't want anybody's company, either. I would want to, you know, do my homework and not fail my classes. Because getting an education is more important than assuaging a whiny, clingy boyfriend's ego.

Is that harsh? Sorry, but realistically, what the hell were you doing that she needed 3 hours of close care? Holding her head while she barfed? Cleaning the toilet after bouts of explosive diarrhea? Giving her an IV drip, or insulin shots? Applying a compression bandage?

You got 3 freakin' hours with her. Why is that not enough? She has homework. Let her do it. And let her have some time in her life that is not devoted to you. Because she is already resenting that you're not allowing her any space. Want to make that worse? Then keep clinging and pushing and complaining, and demand more than 3 hours from someone who's sick. And you'll see where that gets you.
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 09:29 am
"How do I deal with this situation in general?'

By giving her some space.

She told you she didn't feel well. You should have gone home then. Instead you hovered around her and then wondered why she got short-tempered with you.

Do this again, and you will be dropped, I guarantee it.

You owe her an apology for not listening to her.
solaser123

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 12:14 pm
@jespah,
Sorry about the confusion. I merely brought her her belongings after she worked out. She felt sick afterwards and I just kept her company because she asked for it. I did not give close or intensive care to her. All I did was call student health for her and make sure nothing was seriously wrong. I am now giving her space. She also leans on me for homework help, so I just felt like it was weird. She struggles greatly with some classes.
solaser123

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 12:18 pm
@PUNKEY,
Sorry, the reason I didn't go home to begin with after bringing her stuff was because she asked me to stay. It was just us sitting at the student rec center for like 2 hours and her head on my shoulder. I had thought she wanted company. Thanks for the advice.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 02:12 pm
@solaser123,
Seeing this response, it seems like at least some of this is mixed messages. You do, no matter what, have to respect her need to get her homework done. You have got to back off from that. If she wants to do it on her own, you can't be pushing to keep her company, etc. Because, bottom line, it's highly likely that her education will last a lot longer than her relationship with you. This isn't harshness; it's reality (most young persons' relationships don't last forever - yes, movies, TV, and popular songs are lying to you).
0 Replies