Mother’s Day

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 12:12 pm
It lasts some days, until we'll celebrate this year's Mother's Day.

But when you want to know a myriad of facts about moms in the United States - U.S. Census just released the new website
Facts for Features: Mother's Day
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,510 • Replies: 17
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 07:59 am
Ah ha, Walter, Mother's Day, one of the most prominent Hallmark Card Days in the US.

Alas I am motherless and childless so it is not a day I celebrate. Therefore
I am not in any of the statistical groups cited by the US Census Bureau.

I do however honor my mother many days throughout the year. For example last week when I was ill I awoke crying for my mom.

In the past, I loved being sick because my working mother (unusual for the 50s) would take the day off to take care of me. She would serve me cold Ginger Ale and let me stay in bed all day. She would read to me and tell me stories about what it was like living on a farm in Kansas in the teens of the 20th century and what Denver and Colorado were like in the roaring 1920s.

Generally I felt better by the time evening rolled around. And off to school I would go the next day.

She knew me so well and could handle me when I was anxious, I have always been anxious. Like today, a day when I feel paralyzed because I have to hang some of my paintings in a public place and feel like I am walking in cement boots. She would get behind me calm me down and give me the courage to get it done.

My mom was a great and loving friend. No matter what she would put her arms around me and tell me how much she loved me. For many years I was not aware that other children were not so lucky to have a loving and caring mom.

I celebrate the memory of my mother many days during any given year. She passed away August 10, 1989.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:19 am
Kudo's to the mother of my kids, and my Mrs. yesterday she was named "Volunteer of the Year" by our local United Way! Way to go lady!
Happy Mothers Day!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:21 am
Happy Mother's day to your wife husker.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 09:25 am
Congratulations to her for being given this honor! And congratulations to you for picking such a good woman...!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:12 am
Well this is cool! She just called and she's on the frontpage of the Regional News (local) Section, with a group of young children.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:17 am
Post the link or the article for us, please.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 10:40 am
JoanneDorel wrote:

My mom was a great and loving friend. No matter what she would put her arms around me and tell me how much she loved me. For many years I was not aware that other children were not so lucky to have a loving and caring mom.

I celebrate the memory of my mother many days during any given year. She passed away August 10, 1989.

Like you, Joanne, I too was blessed with a loving and caring mother. She passed away August 21, 1984 when I was 28 years old. When she was alive, I knew she was a good mom, but I didn't realize the fullness of her spirit, the depth of her love for me and the influence she would be on the way I mothered my son until several years after her death. In some ways, I feel like her death released a part of her soul into mine. I love her more deeply in death, I appreciate her life even more now than when she was alive.

Sometimes I want so badly to feel her arms around me and hear her voice telling me that she loves me. I still have my dad, and I've learned to enjoy and appreciate the time that I have with him.

husker....Congrats to your wife!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:08 pm
Ok here it is - my Book Woman http://altura.speedera.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/200000/205200/205271/products/6548220.jpg

http://www.myselfpublishing.com/u_way/uwpaper.gif
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:11 pm
<APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE!>
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:19 pm
Neat wife ya got there husker!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:40 pm
Thanks husker for sharing. Delightful picture.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 05:25 pm
My mother passed away on May 9th, thirteen years ago. It was not Mother's Day that year.

Although our relationship was good, I never told her how much she meant to me because, like many others, I didn't really know until after she was gone.

Congratulations to all mothers with thankful children; and if yours are not as grateful as you deserve, please realize they love you more than they may know.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 08:09 am
Happy Mothers' Day to my mother, thank God you're healthy and we'll see you this weekend. :-D

Happy Mothers' Day to my Maryland sister-in-law, thank you for being so wonderful to my brother and being the mother of our nephew, the Wonder Child.

Happy Mothers' Day in advance to my Italian sister-in-law, due in September. Stay well and RP and I both pray for an easy delivery and a happy and healthy baby.

And Happy Mothers' Day to my mother-in-law, RP's Mom, thank you for being so kind and understanding, and thank you for a great son.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:59 am
http://www.forbetterlife.org/images/eng/billboards/billboards/20_billboards.jpg
0 Replies

Peter S

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 10:24 pm
Happy mother's day to all mothers! :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 12:44 am
Agreed, Peter Laughing