three dead after shooting in Columbia Mall, Maryland

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 01:48 pm
These shootings are becoming a part of everyday life. The Columbia Mall is in Howard County adjacent to Anne Arundel County. It doesn't appear to be a random shooting, and local politicians announce this as if it isn't quite so terrifying. That Mall is one of the busiest Malls in the State. I hate to shop there because it is always so crowded. I find this so depressing, and I don't see anything improving anytime soon.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,667 • Replies: 5
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 11:12 pm
@glitterbag,
Apparently is was not random, one young woman and two men were killed. A few in the hospital with undisclosed injuries. It seems now that deadly shootings in public places are being reported every other day. I can't fathom the distress and grief of the survivors of those murdered.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 03:53 pm
@glitterbag,
Story changes again today. Shooter was 19, when the police found his body there was a large amount of ammo near his body. They had to make sure the body wasn't booby trapped, it wasn't, but the spokesman alluded to other issues that complicated recovery. Today they say the people killed did not know each other, they haven't been able to determine a connection.
farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 06:06 am
@glitterbag,
any new information?
I used to eat over there sometimes, sad.
Wasn't the mall targeted in another shooting several years ago?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 06:14 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
These shootings are becoming a part of everyday life. The Columbia Mall is in Howard County adjacent to Anne Arundel County. It doesn't appear to be a random shooting, and local politicians announce this as if it isn't quite so terrifying. That Mall is one of the busiest Malls in the State. I hate to shop there because it is always so crowded. I find this so depressing, and I don't see anything improving anytime soon.
Such is the nature of the world; its risky, to some extent.
There is more danger of traffic accidents.
Ideally, the victims shud have been defensively well armed
and skilled & drilled in defensive battle tactics.
That shud be taught in the schools, from young ages.

I see no point in being depressed. I live MY life in joy and beauty,
insofar as I can arrange it.

David
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 03:06 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

any new information?
I used to eat over there sometimes, sad.
Wasn't the mall targeted in another shooting several years ago?

I'm not sure about an earlier shooting at the Columbia Mall, but about 8 years ago a group of teen boys got into a fight at the Annapolis Mall, a man shopping with his family attempted to break up the fight. A bystander apparently with ties to one of the boys fighting shot the man in the thigh. However the man shot was a Secret Service Agent who returned fire and shot the older boy in the torso. The teen recovered, a midshipman tended to the Secret Service agent until rescue workers arrived. No one died that day, thank God.

Today's paper is providing more background on the victims at the Columbia Mall. Motive at this time isn't clear. If there was a shooting prior to this, I'm sure the paper will mention it. I think that's the part that bothers me so much, the number of shootings in public places has increased so much it's hard to keep them all straight.

B
0 Replies