Grammar Help

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 08:00 pm
I know I should do these myself but I have such a hard time re-writing sentences

I am supposed to fix the grammatical errors, like run on sentences , fragments, comma splices etc

1. Edward Jones wrote the essay, "Shacks," he was in his first year of college.
2. Having a passion for writing, the letters Jones wrote every day were a way he could cope with loneliness.
3. The short essay was written in 2011, it was about Jones' first experiences in college.
4. Jones had always been interested in writing and was good at it, his letters revealed that skill.
5. His letters were long and detailed. Even though he did not live in a computer environment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 432 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 08:41 pm
@ur12talk,
1. Edward Jones wrote the essay, "Shacks." He was in his first year of college. (Or, Edward Jones wrote the essay "Shacks" when he was in his first year etc...)
2. Having a passion for writing, the letters Jones wrote every day were a way he could cope with loneliness. (I see nothing wrong with this sentence.)
3. The short essay was written in 2011. It was about Jones' first experiences in college. (Or, you could substitute a semicolon [;] for the period, retain the lower-case 'i' and keep it in one sentence. Your choice.)
4. Jones had always been interested in writing and was good at it. His letters revealed that skill.
5. His letters were long and detailed even though he did not live in a computer environment. (That's the reverse of a run-on sentence.)
McTag

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 03:41 am
@Lustig Andrei,

Quote:
Having a passion for writing, the letters Jones wrote every day were a way he could cope with loneliness. (I see nothing wrong with this sentence.)

It was not the letters which had the passion, it was Jones.

Since he had a passion for writing......
Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2014 01:56 pm
@McTag,
I see. Misplaced modifier. Still, it's colloquially quite correct.
contrex

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 08:42 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

I see. Misplaced modifier. Still, it's colloquially quite correct.

I would rather say "acceptable, if sloppy" in conversation, and definitely careless in any written work intended for serious consideration.
0 Replies