'Toothing' for Hi-Tech Sex with Strangers

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:52 am
Well, I never heard of such a thing! Shocked :wink: People with cell phones that have Bluetooth technology have been using the equipment to hook up with others for casual sexual encounters.

Quote:
'Toothing' for Hi-Tech Sex with Strangers
Mon Apr 19,11:21 AM ET
By Michael Holden
LONDON (Reuters) - British commuters take note -- the respectable person sitting next to you on the train fumbling with their cell phone might be a "toother" looking for sex with a stranger.

"Toothing" is a new craze where strangers on trains, buses, in bars and even supermarkets hook up for illicit meetings using messages sent via the latest in phone technology.

"Toothing is a form of anonymous sex with strangers -- usually on some form of transport or enclosed area such as a conference or training seminar," says the "Beginner's Guide To Toothing" on a Web site dedicated to the pursuit.

It is made possible by Bluetooth technology which allows users to send phone contacts, pictures and messages to other Bluetooth-enabled equipment over a range of about 10 meters (yards).

Users discovered they could send anonymous messages to people they didn't know with Bluetooth equipment, spawning a craze dubbed "bluejacking."

Jon, aka "Toothy Toothing" and the guide's author, explained toothing was born after he was "bluejacked" by an unknown girl while commuting to work in London. After a few days of flirting, she suggested a brief encounter in a station lavatory.

"The meeting wasn't a romantic thing -- it was purely sexual. Barely anything was said," he told Reuters via e-mail.

He said potential toothers begin by sending out a random greeting -- usually "Toothing?."

"If the other party is interested, messages are exchanged until a suitable location is agreed -- usually a public toilet, although there are tales of more adventurous spots such as deserted carriages or staff areas," his guide adds.

Jon, who's in his 20s and works in finance, estimates there could be tens of thousands of toothers from all sorts of professions and lifestyles. Certainly the Web site's message board is busy.

"Any toothing on these trains?" asks one poster about services between Cambridge and London, prompting positive responses from "Dannyboy" and "Zeke."

"I'll be around London Bridge mainline station around 9.45 - 10 a.m. tomorrow if anyone's interested...," another poster called "Boi" wrote hopefully.

While some happily recount their successful encounters, others suggest there are a few teething problems with toothing.

"I tried toothing in Tooting (south London) last night... not a device to be found," a frustrated "Snowdog" posted sadly.

Although clearly not what the industry had in mind, toothing may lead operators toward similar, more mainstream projects.

Last month it was reported that a team in Boston had created a service for cell phones called Serendipity, an wireless alternative to online dating.

It allows subscribers to store their personal details and what they want from a partner and when there are enough similarities between two people and they happen to be in the same area, it tells their phones to communicate with each other.

Dario Betti, of the British-based consultancy Ovum, said bluejacking had really taken off, helped by the fact the service was free.

"The element of the unknown, that you are connecting to someone around you that you might not know, it's a novelty factor that is helping it to start," he told Reuters.

If Jon and those who use his forum are right, toothing is certainly livening up life for some bored commuters.

"A lot of my day's taken up with a soul-aching commute into the city, and that just feels like dead time," Jon said.

"Flirting is fun, sex is fun. We're just employing expensive, complex toys to find the most basic form of entertainment."

What do you think of this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,253 • Replies: 12
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 05:26 am
Good grief it sounds awful but then nothing else has worked for me maybe should give it a try. Oh wait do I need a cell phone? If that is the case then I guess I will miss another boat.

But then I am not in London but plain ole Tejas!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 06:58 am
Gawd, another way to have anonymous sex and possibly contract something unpleasant or even fatal.

I do hope these folks are using condoms and, if any of them are married, they have a clue about the possible consequences, as records can be made of pretty much anything you do with a phone - and those records could be admissable in court in a divorce case.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 07:32 am
Laughing

Whatever people will think of next - though I have to admit, David Beckham had made "text sex" famous !!!

I have bluetooth on my phone turned on all the time - but I havent been turned on myself till now Smile Maybe it is time started travelling on more crowded trains Twisted Evil
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 07:44 am
Toothing in Tooting?

heeeheeeeheeeeheeeeeeheeee
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 12:56 pm
I must be waaay out of the loop in my knowledge of these matters. I really believed that AIDS had put the kibosh on these extremely casual sorts of sexual encounters. I think that these folks are literally taking their life in their hands!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 01:16 pm
Surely this is the end of society as we knew it. But on the other hand they do not have to worry about STDs or do they?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 03:33 pm
If there is body-contact they do!

It's England - I'm sure they wear raincoats...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:09 pm
Quote:
It's England - I'm sure they wear raincoats...

Yeah, but don't those raincoat guys pull them open for effect? Laughing
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:10 pm
I was wonder if I could get the cell number for ____
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 05:58 pm
Oh no you mean the next time someone talking on their cell rams me in the rump while waiting in line at the grocery store I might be having sex?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 06:26 pm
I recall reading something about 4 or 5 years ago, about some little device that did a similar job in Japan. There were little male and female devices that you could send messages with.

and isn't this just a half-step from the clubs with phones on the tables were people can call tables with likely looking partners? that's been going on for quite a while.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 08:44 am
Intrigued. I agree with the concerns over STDs - anyone using this kind of approach can be assumed to be promiscuous, I'd say Laughing

KP
0 Replies