Birth Control - Back Up?

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 02:17 pm
I'm currently taking Norg-ethin estr .25/.035T . I know when you begin your first pack, you are to use back up for the first seven days along with your pills.

My question is, each time you start a new pack, should you use back up methods with it for the first week or is that only for your first pack? I menstruated normally during the last seven days of the first pack [the placebo pills] and began the second pack on the day after my last placebo pill. I take it at the same time daily and have never missed a pill.

I'm not sure if it's possible to ovulate in the week of the placebo pills and become pregnant or to become pregnant during your first week of each new pack. My fiance and I have been using the withdrawal method [on the 2nd and 4th pills of my second pack] and I'm nervous about the likelihood of pregnancy.

Any help is much appreciated, thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,268 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 02:27 pm
@Subliminal0,
Just your very first pack. You can always still get pregnant even on the pill. But if you take at the same time every day without ANY missed pills your likelyhood of pregnancy is small. Less than 1%.

But in all seriousness, you should probably read the insert included. Smile

Subliminal0

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 02:35 pm
@Bella Dea,
Thank you, Bella! I read all three of the leaflets in my prescription, but they only mention about starting your first pack and taking them every day.

I am one of those worriers, where I thought, 'Seven days of inactive pills: is it out of your system by then to need a back up for your next pack?' This is my first time with bc pills and I just wanted to double check. Better safe than sorry, especially in terms of creating a new life (:
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 02:36 pm
@Subliminal0,
The first pack. Then if you take one of your pills more than 12 hours late you should use back up for the next 7 days again. Good idea to ask your doctor or pharmacist if there's anything you're not sure about. You are safe while you're taking the placebo pills. With most pills you can also skip the placebos (and your period) and go straight on to the next packet - but you should check with your doctor if that's ok with the particular pill you're using.
Subliminal0

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 02:46 pm
@Pearlylustre,
I just wanted to double check about the placebos and beginning of each new cycle. It's a big relief that I am still safe during both. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question (:

I don't mind having a normal monthly cycle as I don't get irritability or cramps, or really anything other than needing a nap here and there. I had looked at things like Seasonique [I believe that is how it's spelled], but instead chose what I currently have. Thanks for the info though!
0 Replies