Trophy-hunting with the media

Fedral

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 10:35 am
Trophy-hunting with the media[/u]
Diana West
April 19, 2004

Victor Davis Hanson, author of several books about war's affect on civilization, says it best in the current issue of City Journal. I paraphrase: Thanks to George W. Bush, the Taliban are gone. So is Saddam Hussein. Yasser Arafat is isolated, restricted to the wretched confines of his Ramallah compound. American troops no longer stake their lives guarding the terror kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and Europeans finally feel a righteous American heat over their cold accountings of anti-Semitism and their largesse to Islamic terror organizations.

Thanks also to Bush, Islamofascist "charities" have been shuttered in this country. Al Qaeda is in splinters around the world, desperately seeking a new state-haven. In one of the great diplomatic coups of our time, Pakistan has been turned, as Hanson put it, from "a de facto foe to a scrutinized neutral." Just this week, India's prime minister, Atal Behari Vajpayee, publicly credited the U.S.-led war in Iraq with pushing nuclear rivals India and Pakistan to set about resolving their dispute over Kashmir. Bush has further pressured Libya, Iran and Pakistan to come clean on nuclear cheating; and where the Middle East once feared Iraq's military, the president has had reason lately to lament its ineffectualness. Then there's always the fact that he has "so far avoided another September 11 -- and promises that he is not nearly done yet."

What next? Since he's on a roll, maybe Bush could pre-empt the White House media. There may be no WMD stockpiled by the Washington press corps, but that doesn't mean they aren't a threat to peace and freedom. Having abandoned the pursuit of fact and meaning to chase down a kind of therapeutic humiliation -- therapeutic for them, humiliation for the president -- the White House media, with a couple of notable exceptions, revealed in this week's presidential press conference a particularly disturbing taste for presidential blood, and a patent antipathy for his accomplishments. This bloodlust now borders on icky obsession.

"Do you feel a sense of personal responsibility for September 11th?" asked The New York Times' Elizabeth Bumiller. "You never admit a mistake," said NBC's David Gregory. "Is that a fair criticism?" Were there "any errors of judgment that you made" regarding "those topics (Iraq and Sept. 11) I brought up?"

Again and again, the White House media went apology-hunting. "Two weeks ago," said CBS's John Roberts, "a former counterterrorism official at the NSC, Richard Clarke, offered an unequivocal apology to the American people for failing them prior to 9/11." (Never mind that the grandstanding Clarke spent the rest of his testimony attesting to his own grossly underappreciated infallibility.) "Do you believe the American people deserve a similar apology from you, and would you be prepared to give them one?" Moving on from Sept. 11, Time's John Dickerson wondered, "After 9/11, what would your biggest mistake be?" NPR's Don Gonyea took a different tack: "I guess I'd like to know if you feel in any way that you've failed as a communicator."

Apologies, mistakes, feelings and failings: Was this sweeps week on Oprah, or the White House at war? While Bush quite effectively and even inspirationally set the mission in Iraq and the security of the United States into the larger context of the war on Islamic terrorism, the media tended to their gotcha questions in hopes that they could lay bare, not illuminating fact or meaning -- their sorry performance elicited no new information -- but rather the diminishing fault lines of doubt and cheap emotion. Was the president sorry? Would he apologize? Would the media get their trophy -- one equally prized by John Kerry and Al Jazeera?

No. Bush described his anger, his sadness and his sickness over 9/11, but reminded the pack that "the person responsible for the attacks was Osama bin Laden." He emphasized the serious call to action he strongly believes we must heed.

Not the media; they want that apology, preferably teary-moist, but anything to weaken his moral and political stature. Which explains their lack of journalistic fervor when it came to extracting an apology from Bill Clinton for anything ever, from the multiple lies (sex with "that" woman) to the multiple smears (Billy Dale, Kathleen Willey, Juanita Broaddrick), from the 1993 rout in Somalia, in which 18 ill-equipped marines lost their lives in battle with Al Qaeda-trained rebels, to the 2000 attack on the USS Cole -- and every infamous act in between. The media elite wanted him to win. Even now this bunch won't train their pop-apology-guns on Clinton, despite the post-9/11 revelations of his administration's security failings, or even the multiple chances Clinton personally passed up to kill or capture Osama bin Laden.

But they'll keep George Bush in their crosshairs. They don't want him to win -- and it shows.

Link
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,064 • Replies: 39
No top replies

suzy

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 11:40 am
And thanks to bush, a 20 year old father of an infant son is held in captivity in Iraq, and it seems that all Bush can say upon hearing this news is "We will not give in to terrorist demands".
Okay, now there's an appropriate time for an apology. I wonder if he contacted the family?
Because in my opinion, he should be sorry about that.
He is directly responsible for that boys fate.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 11:59 am
suzy wrote:
Because in my opinion, he should be sorry about that.
He is directly responsible for that boys fate.

Is he? Really? Did he really sit down with his generals and decide that this man's unit should go to Iraq and be put in harms way? Only if that is the case can he be "directly" responsible. Does he have some responsibility for this man's being there? Of course. But "direct" responsibility belongs to the generals who make the decisions on who to send. And responsibility also belongs to this young man who freely enlisted to serve in the military. And sometimes that means being placed in harms way. I have both friends and family who either have been or are now in Iraq, so my comments do not come from someone who is not experiencing what this man's family is. But to say Bush owes the family an apology? Get real. This man is doing what he signed up to do.
0 Replies

emclean

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 12:07 pm
Quote:
from the 1993 rout in Somalia, in which 18 ill-equipped marines lost their lives in battle with Al Qaeda-trained rebels

Rangers, not Marines, and no apology will do anything for those men, they gave there lives doing a job they wanted to do.

Quote:
And thanks to bush, a 20 year old father of an infant son is held in captivity in Iraq, and it seems that all Bush can say upon hearing this news is "We will not give in to terrorist demands".

Yes it would be so much better to give in to what they wanted, so that they know next time that want something, all they have to do is take a hostige. You know like killing 18 rangers to get the military to leave a country, then killing 3000 to get the US to leave another country.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 12:13 pm
Re: Trophy-hunting with the media
Diana West wrote:
Victor Davis Hanson, author of several books about war's affect on civilization. . .

Hanson specializes in the history of Ancient Greece. And his work on Ancient Greek military history is, to put it mildly, controversial.

To put it less mildly, it is a bunch of socio-historical gobbledigook.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 12:32 pm
The point, emclean, is that Bush did not even express any concern for that boy, that I am aware of, or anyone else. Of course I don't expect him to negotiate with "terrorists", and showing a little compassion to the soldier and his family, or at least pretending he cares does not equate to that in the real world. I don't think doing so would weaken America in the international eye, DO YOU? Where's the harm in acting like a human being occasionally?
And Coastal, that's my opinion, and you haven't changed it. Bush started this war, after all. Ultimately, all the dead and injured and captive are the result of the decision of George W Bush to go to war in Iraq. That's the bottom line.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 12:38 pm
Interesting how certain folks now post cut 'n' paste articles, then never bother to address any of the opposing posts that follow. It's a bit like painting a controversial slogan on the wall when no one's looking, than disappearing and watching the reactions of observers.

The articles are always saying the same things, too. Maybe it's more like tagging than sloganeering...
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 01:23 pm
suzy wrote:
And Coastal, that's my opinion, and you haven't changed it. Bush started this war, after all. Ultimately, all the dead and injured and captive are the result of the decision of George W Bush to go to war in Iraq. That's the bottom line.

Not really trying to change your opinion, just trying to get a handle on why you think Bush should apologize to this one particular family. Or to all families of the military who are over there doing their jobs. Did FDR apologize to all families of military men during WWII? How about JFK and LBJ and Nixon during Vietnam? Truman during Korea?

If all of these guys should issue individual apologies to our military families when they are sent into harm's way, when would they have time to do anything else? Even Clinton sent men to the middle east (if you disagree with that statement, then what was the USS Cole doing in the Med?), and I don't remember him apologizing either.

Now, I have no problem if you disagree with Bush policies, his presidency or whatever. But don't fault him for not apologizing for sending men to war unless you are prepared to condemn every president in our history for not giving the same apology to our military.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 01:49 pm
Because if that were my son, I would certainly expect to hear from the president about what his options for survival might be. And I would be absolutely bullsh&t to hear only what I heard, as if my son's life meant nothing.

I'm not commenting on other wars or other presidents. I'm commenting on Bush's response to the press upon the release of this news. I thought it was pretty COLD. I think he needs some lessons on being a humane boss. Even if he said "We will do everything in our power to protect this soldier, BUT.... etc, etc." that would have been something. He did not even acknowledge the soldier, and that's what irks me. I didn't ASK HIM to apologize for sending men to war (yet), so I don't know where you got that! I'm talking about this hostage and Bush's response to America regarding him, which was non-existant. Just more tough talk from a chickenhawk, it seems like. Bush has a duty to acknowledge the COST of his war, and I'm sure he never will, which is why I have no respect for the man. Nothing but contempt.
If I were the president, I would find time to call that family, and yes, apologize for what they are going through, much as one would apologize when a friend loses a loved one to death, (it is not the same as taking the blame) and let them know that I cared and would keep their son's safety in mind.
He may have done this, but it seems not. I don't feel that's a lot to expect, and Bush has the time.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 02:11 pm
But Suzy, now we get into what an apology means. What you want Bush to do is to call the family and express sympathy with them over their son's safety. To apologize is to express regret over one's actions and that is what you seemed to be saying in your original post. I am sorry if I misunderstood.

I realize you were not commenting on other wars, but you just seemed to believe that Bush should do something other presidents never did. I was just trying to draw a parallel to determine whether your belief that Bush should apologize was because of your hatred for Bush or whether that hatred extended to any president who does not apologize regardless of idealogy.

Finally, you do admit that you do not know whether Bush has contacted this man's family or not. You just assume he has not because in your words "it seems not". Is this a good example of how democrats think? It seems not so it must not be?

Bush can be bashed for many things, but before we hit him for not doing something you think he should have done, lets get the facts first and know for sure he did not do it.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 02:55 pm
Sigh. Sometimes, there's a bit too much PC in this forum for my liking.
I am an individual and therefore not a good example of how all democrats think.
I say "seems not" because the media has not reported it, so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt, Maybe the media has not reported it because they're so darn liberal, haha, although, in all likelihood and in keeping with his usual MO, I am probably correct. That's an example of basing a supposition on previous experience with his MO, okay? Or is that not okay to do?
And FYI, President Kennedy apologized for his mistakes in the bay of pigs. Americans appreciated that. He was real. Human even.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 03:31 pm
We cannot know what GWB has done re that soldier or what contact he has had with the soldier's family. Our current president does very little grandstanding and generally shuns publicity in private contacts with families of victims.

A family here in Albuquerque lost a son overseas. They had a moment with President Bush when he was here last. They believed he 'shared their pain'--God I wish they'd come up with a better way to say that. There was nary a blip on the evening news or in the newspapers because this conference was done out of view of the press; in other words it was a genuine expression of condolences from the president to other Americans.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 04:18 pm
He didn't have a problem grandstanding with his little flight suit on the aircraft carrier, or holding up the plastc turkey in Iraq, or standing in front of ther boxes with "Made in China" stamped on them, or...
In other words, I don't quite think that's it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 04:26 pm
for me the model of "grand standing" was Bush I arranging a press conferance at the Grand Canyon and having the press fly in so that he could be photographed in front of the scenic-american icon view. he lost the election.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 05:04 pm
Yeah that was a good one. I recall the photo op too when Bill Clinton was walking on the beach at Normandy and paused to use stones to make a little cross in the sand. So touching.

Let's admit it. They're all grandstanders to a certain extent. And I suppose a president needs to be to a certain extent.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 06:45 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Interesting how certain folks now post cut 'n' paste articles, then never bother to address any of the opposing posts that follow. It's a bit like painting a controversial slogan on the wall when no one's looking, than disappearing and watching the reactions of observers.

The articles are always saying the same things, too. Maybe it's more like tagging than sloganeering...

Yup...fedral is blessing us with greater truths (out of newsmax or townhall, paradigms of careful and objective high quality journalism). Debate, or even reflection, aren't part of this blessing.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:25 pm
Well the thesis of this thread is a media gung ho for a president to apologize. I did a very cursory search on presidential apologies since FDR and found:

President Eisenhower refused to apologize to Castro or the Soviet Union for using U2 planes to spy on them. Neither FDR nor Eisenhower nor Truman apologized for WWII or Korea and Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, and Ford did not apologize for Vietnam.

President Carter did not apologize for the failed attempt to rescue the embassy hostages in Iran and refused to apologize to North Korea for spying on them.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2003-09-01-carter_x.htm

and he refused to apologize to a democratic Taiwan when he switched U.S. diplomacy to communist China.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/307523.stm

I don't know if John Kennedy apologized for the Bay of Pigs fiasco, but if he did, it would have been well after the Cuban Missile crisis when our military was not at risk.

President Clinton didn't apologize for bombing Yemen or Iraq or for invading Haiti and Somalia, however he apologized to study participants of the Tuskogee Syphilis Study.
http://www.med.virginia.edu/hs-library/historical/apology/whouse.html

and he apologized for things that he said and did that resulted in his impeachment (just before he said he could forgive those who impeached him.)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/clinton/stories/president021399.htm

and he apologized to Hawaii for overthrowing them 100 years ago.
http://www.hawaii-nation.org/publawsum.html

and he apologized for Monica Lewinsky
http://www.zpub.com/un/un-bc-sp1.html

and he apologized to the Japanese for their interrment during WW II
http://www.geocities.com/internment_info/Documents/clinton.html

and he apologized to the Chinese for bombing their embassy in Yugoslavia
http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/europe/9905/14/kosovo.china/

and he considered apologizing to blacks for slavery
http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/page1/97/06/16/clinton-race.2-0.html

George W. Bush was asked five times to apologize in a press conference and refused to do so as that would have signaled remorse and weakness to an enemy at a time when we have troops on the ground in a war zone.

So, if apologizing is the criteria for judging a great president, you have to say Clinton wins.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:41 pm
I think you are missing the point, fox, but on purpose.

What is at issue is the ability, or honesty, to say, "we got or I got something wrong". The war issue is irrelevant because this inability/dishonesty was the norm before as well.

It is a strategy (one assumes, Rovian, but perhaps not) to not show any 'weakness'. But it is juvenile, and degrades discourse and the office. Can you imagine Lincoln behaving this way?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:43 pm
I admire your clairvoyant ability to know what I do on purpose Blatham Smile

But in answer to your question, I cannot imagine that Lincoln would have ever, in a million years, apologized for the Emancipation Proclamation or the long and bloody war that resulted from it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:47 pm
I think we are talking about acknowledging what was gotten wrong, fox. But it would be untoward of me to suggest you missed that on purpose too, right?
0 Replies