Do You Consider Yourself, "Joe Public?"

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 07:47 am
The disclosure in Bob Woodward's book that George W. Bush dismissively refers to the citizens of the United States as "Joe Public," I am curious to know if you see yourselves this way, do you mind being so referred, or are you offended by being labelled this way?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,528 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 07:49 am
Personally, I think that "Joe Public" is an extremely neutral term. Years ago, the term "John Q. Public" was the expression in vogue, as were John or Jane Doe. I don't think that people thought one way or another about it.

Quote:
John Q. Public
n.
Used as a name to designate a typical member of the general public.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2003 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 07:53 am
Aren't the terms "John Doe" and "Jane Doe" given to nameless, identityless dead bodies in the morgue?

Collectively, I think the American people are much more.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 07:56 am
I catch your drift Info but it would serve us better if you included a link so we could make a judgement call on the actual passage. Otherwise we're commenting on your take of the Bush statement.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 07:57 am
infowarrior- I was making a point. John Doe represents "everyman". Coincidentially, officials DO use the term to designate an unidentified person.

There was an old movie which popularized the expression:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033891/

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/John%20Doe.html

Quote:
John Doe

noun

1. ordinary man: an average man affected by everyday events ( informal )

2. law unnamed man: a man or boy in a legal proceeding whose identity is either not known or not revealed
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 08:02 am
There are many people who do not like Bush. I can respect it where people refer to actions of Bush of which a person disapproves. It is quite another, when someone attempts to create a brouhaha out of absolutely nothing!
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 08:10 am
Sorry phoenix, I thought this is a forum to exchange opinions and ideas.

I was unaware that asking the question I asked is considered starting a "brouhaha."

Somehow, I suspect if I asked the question to innumerate all Bush has done right in the past 3 years, you would have no objection and would be first in line.

And so it goes............ Laughing
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 08:17 am
infowarrior wrote:
Sorry phoenix, I thought this is a forum to exchange opinions and ideas.

I was unaware that asking the question I asked is considered starting a "brouhaha."

How delightfully disingenuous. To refresh your recollection, here's what you wrote:
infowarrior wrote:
The disclosure in Bob Woodward's book that George W. Bush dismissively refers to the citizens of the United States as "Joe Public," I am curious to know if you see yourselves this way, do you mind being so referred, or are you offended by being labelled this way?

So, to recap: (1) you say that Bush's use of the term is "dismissive"; (2) you ask if others view themselves in the same dismissive fashion; (3) you want to know if others are offended by Bush's dismissive characterization. And you wonder why there's a "brouhaha?" Really, infowarrior, it is to laugh.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 08:22 am
Hi joe-

Yes, I know what I wrote, since I wrote it.

Making this about the me is flattering, to be sure, but the question goes to Bush's choice of words -- not mine.

It was Bush who used the term "Joe Public."

Not, the "American people."

Not, the "American citizens."

Not, the "good people of this country."

So, I can conclude that in your case, you have no problems with Bush's characterizations of the American people.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 08:26 am
Info,

1. Don't personalize criticism

2. Re read my post

3. Your topics have been interesting and informative. And they have generated some great debate. I am witness to that

4.This topic unfortunately isn't up to your high standards

5. Suggestion: either rewrite it or

Move on...capice?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 08:38 am
infowarrior: The problem isn't with Bush's characterization of the American people, it's with your characterization of Bush's remarks. You describe them as "dismissive," and then ask if others agree with that dismissiveness. But you give no evidence -- aside from your own assertion -- that Bush was indeed being dismissive.

In effect, your opening post was a form of question-begging: you start with an unsupported premise that, by asking everyone to comment on it, you expect everyone to accept as fact. It would be like me asking: "considering that infowarrior fondles penguins for his own sexual gratification, do you think we should allow him to visit the zoo?"
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:16 am
I don't see this as an offensive or "leading" question at all!
Infowarrior desribed Woodward as using the term "dismissive". It is not his term. He's merely asking how people feel about it, given the context in which Woodward reports it.
Infowarrior, whether or not it is said dismissively, I don't take exception to it, and here's why:
Joe Public IS America. Joe Public IS the majority.
Joe Public rules this nation. It is time we take pride in our roles, given us by our forefathers. Never let anyone besmirch the title of Joe Public or turn it into a smear word like "Liberal".
I will proudly wear both, and don't care what certain people think of them.
In the president's case, we know that he feels being a dictator would be easier, and also that he feels there should be limits to freedom. If he looks down on Joe Public, that is not surprising, is it?
I couldn't care less whether or not Bush dismisses me, as I'm working to dismiss him as well. Laughing
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:26 am
George Bush's choice of terminology suggests he views the American people from the lofty perch reserved only for the political elite.

In film circles, action movies containing lots of car crashes, explosions and noise, are referred to as highly profitable and "fodder for the jerk audiences."

It is my view the American people have wisely and bravely confronted a variety of issues including racism, sexism, ageism, and even homophobia that make them the model and envy of the world, but Americans have yet to deal with the issue of class.

With an elite like George Bush in power, class is now front and center.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:27 am
suzy wrote:
I don't see this as an offensive or "leading" question at all!
Infowarrior desribed Woodward as using the term "dismissive". It is not his term. He's merely asking how people feel about it, given the context in which Woodward reports it.

That would be good but Woodward never used the term or anything close to it.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:47 am
Ah. So it's info's opinion that it was said dismissively? Could be, but we really can't know that. I would have to see the context in which the Joe Public comment is made, then, to decide if it comes off as dismissive.
Guess I'll have to read the book.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:53 am
inforwarrior didn't say that woodward used the word "dismissive" in his quote from the president concerning "joe public". That was just how he saw the term, "joe public" and he was asking if anyone else agreed with him about it.

I agree with those who say that it reinforces bush and the rest of the bunch's attitude about the people they are supposed to be serving. I don't know if it has too much to do with class as it does just with dismissing everyone who is not part of their inner circle. Its like saying ," those people." It puts people in a non personal catergory.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:53 am
Ok suzy, we'll wait 'til you read the book and then reconvene.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 10:22 am
To quote the country boys: "I don't care what ya call me, so long as you don't call me late for dinner."
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 10:25 am
Panzade,
Smile
wiseass!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 10:28 am
The bit below is an exceprt from a CBS News/609 Minutes WWW page from Woodward's appearance on 60 Minutes::

Quote:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/04/15/60minutes/main612067.shtml

If Bush is seen as dismissive of anyone in that it would seem to be the CIA - not the general public.
0 Replies