university

WBYeats

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 06:31 am
If a station is called University, then it is known as University station, without THE.

1. Am I correct? If yes,

2. and if a station is built at a university, can we say?:

-I came up from THE university station.

UNIVERSITY being an adjective, rather than part of a proper noun?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 517 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 05:34 pm
@WBYeats,
I agree (but never trust me). There are many stations around the world with similar names. Some of the names are about places, and some will be about people (Grand Central Station in New York, Penn Station in New York.) This is similar with airports. Grand Central Station is known familiarly as Grand Central.

A station I liked was named, in italian, stazione centrale piazza del duomo, but I think people just think of it as Duomo.

Edit - yes, you can say that you came up from the university station.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 05:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Some of this gets argued about. I lived in California for nearly fifty years. If I am going to drive on a freeway, I will take the 405 to the 101, and others will take 405 to 101. In that case, some of the usage is relative to what older people there say, and some of them adapt to new usage, taking 101.

I'm a person who would never say that I saw a couple oranges. I alway use of, in that kind of context. It is a similar situation, as people have cut out what are now considered extraneous words by many.

0 Replies