Administration Lied? gasp! Check this story out.

rabel22

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 03:26 pm
Brandon
You can read. But you cant reason. Like Mc gentrix you are only able to parrot what you hear fron your conservative masters. You would have made a great Brown Shirt.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 03:34 pm
Rabel, several on the fringe right seem to have this problem, just like those on the fringe left (no names Wink ). Literalist thinking abounds here.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:54 pm
Ridiculous!!!
So, Brandon, shall we call him a "man of many mistaken opinions", then? How much are you gonna take? Thousands have died and we've spent billions on just one of his many "mistaken opinions". Not acceptable! America deserves better. You know it, too, unless you're kind of stupid. You're just being partisan, I think. Putting your party before your country. Again.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 06:37 pm
Here's more "mistaken opinions"

10. "I have been very candid about my past."
9. "I'm a uniter not a divider."
8. "My plan unlocks the door to the middle class of millions of hard-working Americans."
7. "This allows us to explore the promise and potential of stem cell research."
6. "We must uncover every detail and learn every lesson of September the 11th."
5. "[We are] taking every possible step to protect our country from danger."
4. "I first got to know Ken [Lay in 1994]."
3. "Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised." And, "[Saddam Hussein is] a threat because he is dealing with al Qaeda."
2. "We found the weapons of mass destruction."
1. "It's time to restore honor and dignity to the White House."
http://www.bushlies.com/topten.php

In a press conference in November 2002, Bush declared that Hussein was "dealing" with al Qaeda. And during his high-profile May 1, 2003, speech aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, Bush said that Hussein was an "ally" of Hussein.

A chronology of Bush saying one thing then doing another:
http://www.house.gov/appropriations_democrats/caughtonfilm.htm

CNN: WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Intelligence documents that U.S. and British governments said were strong evidence that Iraq was developing nuclear weapons have been dismissed as forgeries by U.N. weapons inspectors.
MORE: http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/03/14/sprj.irq.documents/index.html

Bush: Said he found Gore's tendency to exaggerate "an issue in trying to defend my tax relief package. There was some exaggeration about the numbers" in the first debate.

Fact: "No, there wasn't, and Bush himself acknowledged that the next day on ABC's Good Morning America when Charlie Gibson pinned him on it." Salon, 10/12/00

Bush: "We spend $4.7 billion a year on the uninsured in the state of Texas."

Fact: The state of Texas came up with less than $1B for this purpose. $3.5 came from local governments, private providers, and charities, $198M from the federal government, and just less than $1B from Texas state agencies. Source: Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.

Bush: "We've learned that Iraq has trained al-Qaeda members in bomb-making and poisons and deadly gases ... Alliance with terrorists could allow the Iraqi regime to attack America without leaving any fingerprints." - President Bush, Oct. 7.

FACT: No evidence of this has ever been leaked or produced. Colin Powell told the U.N. this alleged training took place in a camp in northern Iraq. To his great embarrassment, the area he indicated was later revealed to be outside Iraq's control and patrolled by Allied war planes.

Bush also claimed his tax plan--by eliminating the estate tax, at a cost of $300 billion--would "keep family farms in the family." But, as the New York Times reported, farm-industry experts could not point to a single case of a family losing a farm because of estate taxes.

The arsenic screw-up was one of the few lies for which Bush took a hit. On the matter of global warming, he managed to lie his way through a controversy more deftly. Months into his presidency, Bush declared that he was opposed to the Kyoto Protocol, the 1997 global warming accord. To defend his retreat from the treaty, he cited "the incomplete state of scientific knowledge." This was a misleading argument, for the scientific consensus was rather firm.

In June 2001, Bush said, "We're not going to deploy a [missile defense] system that doesn't work." But then he ordered the deployment of a system that was not yet operational. (A June 2003 General Accounting Office study noted, "Testing to date has provided only limited data for determining whether the system will work as intended.")

Lies from the White House poison the debates that must occur if Americans are going to confront and overcome the challenges of this century at home and abroad.
0 Replies