Administration Lied? gasp! Check this story out.

suzy

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 11:36 pm
Probably one of those things that will never be proven, but for what it's worth: "an administration official secretly told about 75 senators that Iraq was capable of attacking the United States with airborne poisons.
The revelation that the White House had sought to terrify senators with phony warnings about unmanned airplanes spraying anthrax along the East Coast should have been a major story, needless to say. Certainly it helps explain why Congress voted so overwhelmingly to allow George W. Bush to go to war. http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/dont_quote_me/multi-page/documents/03758395.asp
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,445 • Replies: 23
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 11:52 pm
Suzy
Suzy, thanks for posting this important information. I hope it is widely read.

BBB
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:00 am
Me too. If this is true, it is greatly irritating that it's yet another story the media has let slide.
This administration gets away with so much!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 11:29 am
The article reads like a laundry list of mostly unproven accusations, however, there is one central point I would like to address. The ability to produce weaponized diseases is, and will continue to come, within the reach of more and smaller countries and groups as technology marches forward. Someone could, in fact, sneak bioweapons into the US pretty easily, and use them to kill thousands or millions of Americans in one shot. What would stop them? Do we think that we will catch them bringing the materials into the country? Do we think that no one wants to do it to us? Bioweapons are available and becoming more so, people want to use them against us, and we can't stop them from bringing them in. The logical conclusion from this is that someone probably will do this to us, and when they do, the death toll will make 9/11 look like nothing by comparison. This is truly something worth being frightened of, and it is best to err on the side of caution. There is no parallel to wars prior to the 1940s, in which it would have taken a large country with a powerful industrial base to successfully attack us, and when they did it would be with gunpowder. If Hussein did, indeed, destroy his anthrax sometime prior to our invasion, there will be plenty of people seeking to spread a plague in the US in the future.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 11:55 am
I think it wouod have been a good idea to not give other countries vials of deadly toxins in the first place!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 12:35 pm
suzy wrote:
I think it wouod have been a good idea to not give other countries vials of deadly toxins in the first place!

And you believe that this piece of philosophy solves the problem? Will this thought comfort you when a million die from a bioweapon attack? That was then, this is now.

Many are actively seeking to create or buy this type of thing, and I'm sure that someone will eventually come up with something a heck of a lot worse than anthrax. I think that because it's possible to do, and, therefore, will be done. Bioweapons seem to me a lot easier to obtain, easier to conceal, and easier to transport than nuclear weapons. They are accessible, impossible to keep out, and capable of causing an unimaginable level of casualty. Prepare for the spectre of man-made plagues in North America. As for myself, I hope that the government spends a lot of energy figuring out what might be done to stop this or slow it down.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 03:06 pm
"And you believe that this piece of philosophy solves the problem? Will this thought comfort you when a million die from a bioweapon attack? That was then, this is now."
Okay, I'm not prepared to discuss biological warfare and it's inevitability. I posted the above to hear the views of other people on this topic. Do you have any comments on this topic? What would you think if you had evidence that every word is true? Is that an okay way for an administration to behave?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 03:16 pm
suzy wrote:
Okay, I'm not prepared to discuss biological warfare and it's inevitability. I posted the above to hear the views of other people on this topic. Do you have any comments on this topic? What would you think if you had evidence that every word is true? Is that an okay way for an administration to behave?

I am addressing your topic. I am saying that the ongoing advance of weapons technology is fundamentally changing the world, that the danger of some sort of bioweapon attack is so real, and the consequences so very, very grave, that I am glad someone is worried about it. If an administration representative did, in fact, do this, I would tend to believe that their real concern for this terrible danger caused them to overreact to some piece of intelligence. I would much rather err on the side of caution with a danger of this kind that is almost unparalleled in human history. Whether Iraq had this capability or not, someone will have a similar capability very soon, and we'd damned well better get ready.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:04 pm
Is it possible that the Bush administration sent the anthrax itself in order to be able to tell the senators and representatives that this was a terriost act. The last I heard no one has any idea who sent it to the congress. As many lies as Bush has told and as amoral the Bush administration is I wouldent put anything past them.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 10:08 pm
rabel22 wrote:
Is it possible that the Bush administration sent the anthrax itself in order to be able to tell the senators and representatives that this was a terriost act. The last I heard no one has any idea who sent it to the congress. As many lies as Bush has told and as amoral the Bush administration is I wouldent put anything past them.

Please cite one lie Bush told and some sort of evidence that he knew the statement was false when he made it. Since he has told so many lies, this should be easy for you.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 10:14 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Please cite one lie Bush told and some sort of evidence that he knew the statement was false when he made it.

This grows tiresome, Brandon.

Quote:
Following an important meeting on Iraq war planning in late 2001, President Bush told the public that the discussions were about Afghanistan. He made no mention afterward about Iraq even though that was the real focus of the session at his ranch.

Bush told public that important Iraq meeting with war commander was about Afghanistan

Now I might make the same claim of you that Bush and Co. made of Saddam and his WMDs prior to invading:

Cite one example of Bush not lying.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 10:43 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Please cite one lie Bush told and some sort of evidence that he knew the statement was false when he made it.

This grows tiresome, Brandon.

Quote:
Following an important meeting on Iraq war planning in late 2001, President Bush told the public that the discussions were about Afghanistan. He made no mention afterward about Iraq even though that was the real focus of the session at his ranch.

Bush told public that important Iraq meeting with war commander was about Afghanistan

Now I might make the same claim of you that Bush and Co. made of Saddam and his WMDs prior to invading:

Cite one example of Bush not lying.

What you find tiresome is of no concern to me. If someone states that a public official is a serial liar, then it is perfectly reasonable to ask for an example and a citation.

From what I could gather by skimming the article you posted a link to, Bush had a meeting about Afghanistan and Iraq, and when asked, said it was about Afghanistan. This doesn't strike me as much of a lie, especially considering the fact that it is not a very good idea to say too much publicly about planning for a forthcoming possible war. As for your request that I state one example of Bush not lying, in his January 2003 State of the Union speech he said, "We have confronted, and will continue to confront HIV/AIDS in our own country," which is true.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 06:35 am
Rabel, yeah, good point. I wouldn't say it's NOT possible.
Brandon,
I'm not going to go looking for quotes about Bush's lies, but just look at his initiatives. Clear Skies won't give us clear skies, No Child Left Behind is leaving children behind, the Drug Bill is not helping seniors so much as helping Drug companies. All very dishonest legislation.
Frankly, I can't think of much he's done that has been honest, OR good for us. How 'bout you give us a few hints to that end?
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 07:09 am
suzy-

A very important piece of information.

This sort of manipulation reeks of shadow government tactics and has Cheney's greasy fingerprint all over it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 08:54 am
BBB
The real story of Iraq: Bad Days Ahead

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23221&highlight=&sid=13c0ca4325b946fe317b9bc6e3947c16
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:38 am
suzy wrote:
Rabel, yeah, good point. I wouldn't say it's NOT possible.
Brandon,
I'm not going to go looking for quotes about Bush's lies, but just look at his initiatives. Clear Skies won't give us clear skies, No Child Left Behind is leaving children behind, the Drug Bill is not helping seniors so much as helping Drug companies. All very dishonest legislation.
Frankly, I can't think of much he's done that has been honest, OR good for us. How 'bout you give us a few hints to that end?

When someone states that a public official lies all the time, he ought to be able to give an example. If he can't, he ought to stop saying it. I should think that it is blatantly obvious that a lie is a specific statement of fact made by someone who knows that it isn't true. Calling a program "No Child Left Behind," even though there are children in the country who will still be left behind, does not strike me as a lie. It strikes me as a hopeful title.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 02:06 pm
Weapons of Mass destruction. Stated they were there and said he knew where they were. Havent been found yet. Was going to say they werent ever found but knew you would claim that they could still be found. The previous childern not left behind thing. The medicare drug bill that was suposed to save me a bundle, a lie. Being 68 years old I know that the drug companies are the only ones to profit from this. The aircraft carrier thing where he declared the Iraq war was over. He lied. I could show where he has lied time after time but I know that you will never be swayed by facts so ill stop here.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 02:18 pm
The medicaid bill is supposed to save some people money. The aircraft carrier stated that "Major hostilities" (in other words mass bombings and straight forward attacks) were done, which they have been since.

Your lack of understanding does not equate another's lies.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 02:40 pm
Forgive me but Im not the one who cant determine truth from lies. If Bush told you you could hold your head under water for 15 minutes and not be injured you would believe him. I dont hold out much hope for you Mc Gentrix.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 02:48 pm
rabel22 wrote:
Weapons of Mass destruction. Stated they were there and said he knew where they were. Havent been found yet. Was going to say they werent ever found but knew you would claim that they could still be found.

No. I think he said that Iraq had once had them and probably still did. This was a statement of opinion, which I shared, not a lie.

rabel22 wrote:
The previous childern not left behind thing.

So you are saying that no one should ever title a program, "No Child Left Behind," because no program is perfect and some children will inevitably be left behind. So, according to you, because Bush used this name for a program, he is a liar. That is ludicrous and incorrect.

rabel22 wrote:
The medicare drug bill that was suposed to save me a bundle, a lie. Being 68 years old I know that the drug companies are the only ones to profit from this.

You're a little light on facts here. Please give me a quotation is which Bush says that this program will save you "a bundle."

rabel22 wrote:
The aircraft carrier thing where he declared the Iraq war was over. He lied.

Despite the tremendous simplicity of the concepts involved, you liberals appear to be constitutionally incapable of distinguishing between a lie and a mistaken opinion. If I go to the movies with friends, and say, "Dave will be along soon," but unbeknownst to me, Dave changed his mind and won't be coming, that is a mistaken opinion, not a lie.

You lot have utterly failed to give an example of a lie by Bush.
0 Replies