Politics Gone Wild! Is he a nut? Or is he a liar?

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:05 pm
I just heard CNN suggest that if the war gets too unpopular, the Democratic Party may dump Kerry in favor of Ralph Nader. Of course, they followed up with the breaking news that police are not filing charges against a boy who through a cupcake out the school bus window at a passing carÂ… and then came the all important headline: Jesse Ventura is considering running for President as an independent in 2008. Is this really where the average citizen gets his news? Rolling Eyes

Now the point:
Kerry is promising College kids that if they will be a mentor to a kid in their home state, the United States will pay all 4 years of their College Tuition. Does anyone believe this? It seems to me that the answer to one of the two following questions has to be yes:
Is he a nut? Or is he a liar?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,974 • Replies: 40
No top replies

unknown man

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:09 pm
I really doupt it would work. First can't we just focus on getting enough money to put them through high school?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:10 pm
I hope he's a liar in this case.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:14 pm
...and Bush's economic policies are unrealistic...?

I think Kerry thinks the US has as much money as his wife does...

Free education...10 million jobs...wtf will he promise next?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:17 pm
Free botox treatments?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:19 pm
anyone running for President is automatically assumed to be both an idiot and a liar. the nuts are the ones that think otherwise.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:20 pm
OCCOM--
Did they source the story about the drop of Kerry for Nader?

That sounds ...unbelievable.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:25 pm
Sofia wrote:
OCCOM--
Did they source the story about the drop of Kerry for Nader?

That sounds ...unbelievable.
I think that was just an editorial opinion, but it struck me as interesting enough to share. I haven't seen it in print.

Dys: I'm with you on that one.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:28 pm
Thanks, OCCOM BILL.

dys is correct.

If Kerry promises new refrigerators, I'll have to vote for him.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:34 pm
I'm holding out for new tires for the Porsche. (Bush may get my vote yet-Kucinich offered me a microwave and a tune-up)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:37 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:37 pm
I miss Kucinich.
What's he been up to?
He reminded me of Sonny Bono, who hell, I also miss.
Nobody comes around anymore....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:42 pm
Can you go into what "mentor a kid" entails, exactly? Americorps is (was?) a way cool organization, and you could probably summarize it as something like mentoring a kid, but it was a lot more than that. (Also had a free college payoff or something similar.)

http://www.americorps.org/joining/moneyforcollege.html
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:53 pm
sozobe wrote:
Can you go into what "mentor a kid" entails, exactly? Americorps is (was?) a way cool organization, and you could probably summarize it as something like mentoring a kid, but it was a lot more than that. (Also had a free college payoff or something similar.)

http://www.americorps.org/joining/moneyforcollege.html
I can't. I was reacting to a sound bite where he said, "mentor a high school age kid and America will pay for all four years of your college tuition" with conviction. This is NOT an exact quote, because I'm doing it from memory (and was playing poker at the time, not taking notes), but those are the words he used and it is at least an un-biased paraphrasing to the best of my recollection. Perhaps someone else heard it too?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:57 pm
Bush promised more jobs, and Kerry promised college tuition. They're both liars: American politics in action. So what's new?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 08:58 pm
yeppers, seems like he was talking kinda about the old Vista sorta program, like the peace corps only inside the US where you could pay back college loans for doing community action work at minimum wage. Bush propsed the same basic idea a few years back but it didn't fly.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 09:01 pm
From Kerry's recent college tour:
Quote:
Also on Kerry's agenda is a plan to offer high school graduates a chance to enter a new two-year service program before going to college. The program would allow the young adults to mentor struggling high school students in an effort to reduce dropout rates as high as 40 percent, he said.

"Those that choose to serve will receive a full, paid instate tuition at a four-year institution," he told the students.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 09:22 pm
Thanks, Brand X.

Here's further details. It seems to emphasize that it will be fiscally responsible. (I haven't read the whole thing yet.)

Quote:
Every penny paid for, with money to spare. John Kerry's plan requires roughtly $13 Billion in new resources over 10 years and is paid for by his new intitiative to eliminate the subsidized and guaranteed profits for banks making student loans. Today, bank profits are set in statutes written by lobbyists. John Kerry will require banks to bid in an open auction for the business of student loans. He will take billions that now pad banks' earnings, and instead direct those resources toward young people who want to serve America and pay for college, with money left for other service and education initiatives.

http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/johnkerry_service_fact_sheet.pdf
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 09:25 pm
Can I take back my vote? I thought you were talking about Bush.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 09:44 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
Can I take back my vote? I thought you were talking about Bush.
Where do you think you are, Florida?
0 Replies