Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 03:11 am
Smile I just noted that my PM's extend to November 2013. Anything before that is gone. Just curious, 1) can they be retrieved before that period and secondly, are they Private Smile

Some weird things have happened so "just" asking...

View best answer, chosen by FOUND SOUL
vonny

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 04:04 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Mine are the same - only go back to early November. I'm guessing that it's an automatic space-saving exercise?
FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 04:19 am
@vonny,
Prob, kept for a certain period of time, not something I am used to I can see all my PM's on well.. that place Smile I am always interested in learning ! But I find it strange that text can disappear ? One minute I am reading, next pftttttt it's gone but before and after posts were there. That's only one situation...
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 04:27 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Robert Gentel wrote:
One important thing I forgot to mention:

The private message limit is now 1000, which is much higher than the 50 or so per folder we used to have it at.
When new messages are sent and received, the oldest is deleted if a user's account exceeds that limit.

It shouldn't be an issue for most, but on the old software you could save messages from deletion, whereas
right now we don't have a way you can do that. So keep that in mind if you think you'll be hitting the 1000 mark soon.
http://able2know.org/topic/130130-1#post-3593090
FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 04:49 am
@Region Philbis,
Thanks Region.. very much appreciate it Smile But the missing PM's well would have been 4 at the most so couldn't have reached 1000. Weird.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 04:52 am
@FOUND SOUL,

i think it means # of replies, not # of PM's in your inbox?

so if you have 100 PM's that each have 10 replies back and forth, that would hit the limit...
FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 05:07 am
@Region Philbis,
OMG... Dutchy alone has 390 Smile Not sure Region.. I PM certainly with a few, some very few lovely and personal.. I can go back to Nov 13 on everyone, loads of messages and few.

So maybe? 1000 means who ever reached 1000 got deleted? But others I can still read. As in today's date, yesterdays, last week.

The mind is a wonderful thing when we are curious and really need to know the answer.. That or I am slightly ODD. Or OCD Smile .

Truly appreciate your help. You know when something bugs you?

Thanks Smile Also .. I've written some PM's and next thing you know when I look up what I was pointing out, it's gone. This is general Google searches. On WH even as Admin, I can't read PM's of people here, hoping this is the same here.

This has such a family atmosphere and a lot of wisdom at 50 it makes me smile to be amongst this... Where I come from they are 18-25 , maybe 30 mainly... And I love that, but I need and love it here too...

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 07:51 am
@FOUND SOUL,
yeah. it's a long-standing peeve.

if you're at the limit, if you have pm's from people you don't want pm's from - they still bump out meaningful pm's.

I sure wish there was a way to clear out the inboxes of stuff we don't want.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 10:45 am
@ehBeth,
Agreed. But in the meantime, I'm learning to copy and paste pms that are dear to me - into my mac iWorks pages. If I save a bunch from one person in a row, I do some editing since I don't care about seeing the usernames repeatedly or the time of day, etc. I don't do this with many, but there are some oldies I wish I had back as I suppose most of us do.
Ragman

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 11:48 am
@ossobuco,
Same feeling here. I have some from dearly departed members I cherish. Saving them now (if I can)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 02:16 pm
@Region Philbis,
Yes. It would be nice if we had the ability to delete PMs ourselves. I've got a handful from one time posters about follow up grammar questions. I do not cherish them.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 02:26 pm
@roger,
Well I guess, I reminded some people to start saving theirs via this thread Smile

Ok... thanks heaps.
vonny

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 03:07 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
What about the privacy issue you brought up earlier? Does anyone else apart from the writer/sender of PMs read them?
roger

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 04:33 pm
@vonny,
I have always assumed that PM stood for Personal (not private) Messages.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2014 05:08 pm
I still have quite a few that go back three years, I guess I better start reading some of them but I haven't had the time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 11:16 pm
Far as I know, the mods don't read pms.

I take it that if you get some horrible pm you can quote it to them and they'd look at that quote, but I'm not sure on that.

People send each other copies of pms, extremely tacky. I don't know how often that happens, but it does.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 03:51 am
@ossobuco,
I can't on WH but as that's the only Forum I've ever been Admin/Mod on, I wasn't sure about other Forums. I think it's a good thing as Roger stated PM means Personal.. PM also to me means Private.. I thinks that's a privileged that is deserved... And it makes a place. That's good to know Osso...

0 Replies

panzade
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 11:18 am
Took a look at my PMs...the oldest is from 2004.WOW 10 years!

There's one from Robert Gentel: That's gotta be worth a bit.

Then there's the sad ones...Cav Fancier, Joanne Dorell...passed on.

The disappeared ones: Child Of The Light, was supposed to send me a tape he made.

http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/3c45b56700ab53e68ebcd5c71ea1c223?r=R&d=identicon&s=180J-B was my first Chinese student on A2K

http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/c895a679802acf97c2f0dbd94d6f11c9?r=R&d=identicon&s=180Kicky!

http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/0edfe2d3ab1c7a53a825de7a09055377?r=R&d=identicon&s=180Noddy told me to "Hold my Dominion"

Sigh...I'm not copying or saving these...when it's time for them to disappear I'll let them go.
0 Replies