Is it a sleep disorder if i cannot wake up from a dream, when I'm already aware that I'm dreaming?

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 02:11 am
Often times, like once or twice a month, i get nightmares wherein there is always some sort of evil presence -which is weird because i don't really believe in those things. Sometimes, it is as if i'm possessed and i'm trying to shout but i can't because my voice is being controlled by an evil spirit or whatever, and it feels like i'm tiny and trapped within myself. Sometimes, i can see the demon getting closer to me. Other times, the demon is lying on top of me and i can't move. Sometimes, its screaming at my hear really loudly and very shrill so it drowns my voice out, like i can't produce a sound. The common theme will all these dreams is that during the dream, i have already become conscious that i am dreaming, and i feel like i have to exert SOOO much energy to pull myself out of the dream. Like i feel that if i dont get pulled out, something 'bad' will happen. so there's a sense of urgency and i panic. Once, i tried to tell myself in the dream not to panic because its only a dream and it can't kill me (this was a dream where a demon was lying on top of me), but i still found myself panicking after awhile. There are times where i try to pull myself out sooo many times before i can actually wake up, i end up exhausted. When i do wake up, i often end up falling back into the same dream -like its pulling me back. or i wake up feeling very strange and eerie like something's watching me. With all these dreams, i try to scream but its like i have no voice. i can't seem to move either. Its different from sleep paralysis because i'm still asleep and unable to pull myself out, fully aware that i am dreaming. when i'm awake, i can move already. Can anyone tell me whats wrong? its weird because i don't really believe in demons and supernatural stuff. I'm sure there's some sort of scientific explanation to this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,835 • Replies: 13
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 03:05 am
@gabbiewabbie,
Some people believe that nightmares are your subconscious mind
YELLING at u, to get your attention, to deliver a message to u.

Next time, don t take the demon so seriously. Ask him: "what message do u have for me?"

Write it down carefully and fully, in detail.
Don t rely on your memory to fill in details; record them.
U can also use a tape recorder. If symbolism is un-clear,
then ask your subconscious mind for clarification.

Feel free to PLAY with it. Its YOUR dream.
Being aware that u r dreaming results in a LUCID DREAM,
wherein u r the producer and the director: the lord of that Universe until u awaken.

David
gabbiewabbie

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 03:31 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Thanks for the advice, i'll try to record what happens as soon as i wake up from now on. Regarding the lucid dreaming, its not so much the content of the dream that bothers me, but the fact that i have such difficulty waking up, even though i know i SHOULD be able to if i want to and i'm aware its a dream. i dont mind having nightmares, what i do mind is that i already know its a nightmare and i can't seem to escape it Sad it gets really tiring. Is there some sort of medication i can take that might help?
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 03:38 am
@gabbiewabbie,
What are you running from? In your current life or something from your past.
gabbiewabbie

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 03:52 am
@FOUND SOUL,
i have had a couple of rough times growing up but i feel like i dealt with them in a psychologically healthy way (i can talk about them, i learned from them, i harbor no more resentment, etc)

what im running from now is maybe death? its probably the thing that scares me most because im afraid of losing my consciousness forever when my mind dies. but i dont see how that would prevent me from waking up when i want to Sad do you think its related?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 04:10 am
@gabbiewabbie,
gabbiewabbie wrote:
Thanks for the advice, i'll try to record what happens as soon as i wake up from now on. Regarding the lucid dreaming, its not so much the content of the dream that bothers me, but the fact that i have such difficulty waking up, even though i know i SHOULD be able to if i want to and i'm aware its a dream. i dont mind having nightmares, what i do mind is that i already know its a nightmare and i can't seem to escape it Sad it gets really tiring. Is there some sort of medication i can take that might help?
I 'm not informed qua medication.
I suggest that before going to sleep, u program your subconscious mind
that u will not be fearful in dreams, but rather PLAY with them
and use them as INVESTIGATIVE TOOLS to ascertain
what it IS that your subconscious mind is so eager to TELL u.

Make friends with your subconscious mind.
Remember that u r the boss.
Your subconscious mind will do what u tell it to do
as faithfully as a typewriter writes out what u put into it.

David
Pearlylustre

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 04:29 am
@gabbiewabbie,
I'm not sure why you think it's not sleep paralysis - that's exactly what it sounds like. It's happened to me a couple of times. The feeling of something sinister being in the room is a completely normal part of the experience
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
gabbiewabbie

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 05:13 am
@Pearlylustre,
i know that sleep paralysis occurs when you're awake or waking. It has to do with your body transitioning from REM sleep to waking, if im not mistaken. What i'm going through is different because im asleep and i cant control whats happening (its not lucid dreaming because things continue to surprise me and dictate the course of my dream). I feel like im so deep in my dream that its hard to pull myself out. thats exactly how it feels actually. When i would first get these dreams, it was only a "no voice" thing like i couldn't scream -i could still move in my dream, like run away etc. But recently like the past year, its been getting worse, that's when i started to feel paralyzed IN my dream. My eyes are still closed and the setting is still in the dream. And it got harder to wake up this past year as well. I'm not sure why, i dont think i've been doing anything different :/

Maybe it has to do with sleep paralysis, but im not sure where the "consciously trying to wake up" part fits in.
0 Replies

gabbiewabbie

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 05:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Thanks! you're right, i'll try to 'play around' with my dream more. I guess my initial reaction is to panic and escape/try to wake up
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 08:53 am
@gabbiewabbie,
gabbiewabbie wrote:
Thanks! you're right, i'll try to 'play around' with my dream more.
I guess my initial reaction is to panic and escape/try to wake up
Fear is not your friend; it can be disabling.
It is held in some quarters that there are 2 main emotions, to wit:
Love and fear. If u find it possible, flip from one to the other,
for a change of circumstances. See what happens.

David
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 08:59 am
@gabbiewabbie,
When children have nightmares with monsters, one thing parents can do is to ask the child to draw a picture of the demon and discuss what it said.

you might try the same.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 09:07 am
I had that happen over a few days - me who has never had a nightmare before - except that I did wake up and try to get out of bed and then the nightmare (I called them halucinations) vaporized instantly. I was taking a new medication and in the paperwork that came with the medication it listed nightmares as possible side affects. I quit the medication and they stopped.

So, this kind of thing can be precipitated by medication.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 09:19 am
@gabbiewabbie,
I've had similar - it is simply a dream. You are possibly so deep in sleep even though you are aware you are dreaming it is difficult for your body to wake up.

More than likely as others are saying there is something bothering you in your awake life that your sub-conscience is trying to work out via dreaming.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 10:31 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:
When children have nightmares with monsters,
one thing parents can do is to ask the child to draw a picture
of the demon and discuss what it said.

you might try the same.
Try to DRAW WORDS out of the demon!!!
INTERVIEW him!!???

Remember: its YOUR subconscious mind, so its really ON YOUR SIDE!

U just need to ascertain WHAT message
it is straining so desperately to TELL u.

David
0 Replies