Throw Them Out

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 03:31 pm
Most people seem to feel that Congress consists largely of members who promise us whatever it takes to get elected and then engage in behavior motivated mostly by self-interest. The approval ratings for Congress are nearly zero. And yet there seems to be no punishment for bad behavior. The disappointed citizens haven't organized any form of chastisement to motivate future office holders to serve the people and not only themselves. I see no anti-incumbent movements nor any recall petitions (except for literal corruption).

I should have thought that by now someone would have suggested that we all take a year off from voting our politics and just vote against every incumbent, but I see nothing like this in the news. How do we plan to get the politicians to shape up? Elections don't seem to have that effect.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 599 • Replies: 3
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 04:28 pm
@Brandon9000,
Term limits.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 05:14 pm
@Brandon9000,
[url][/url]A big part of the problem IMO is Grover Norquist and his Taxpayer Protection Pledge. All who sign this pledge agree that taxes can only go down, never up. As this link shows, all but 16 Republican House members and 6 Republican Senators have signed it. Only one Democrat House member has signed it.

If they sign the pledge and then violate it Norquist brings in the big money to run against them in primary races. Signing such a pledge severely limits their ability to bargain or compromise.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 05:42 pm
@Brandon9000,
It's because of the humongous "baaaaaaaaa" factor.
0 Replies