The atheist argument - explanation and advice.

neologist

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 03:14 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Romeo is a man of great caliber . . . truly, a big bore.
You scored a hole in one there, Set.
It's always been of interest to me that so called believers make better arguments for disbelief than do many non believers.
anonymously99stwin

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 05:17 pm
@neologist,
I wonder where I 'fit', 'in'.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 06:08 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
FBM asked: RF, is your native language English? I don't mean that in an insulting way. I'm an EFL teacher. I'll change the way I write if you're not a native speaker

Well I won a copy of 'The Observers Book of Aircraft 1958' for "good composition" at junior school, and I passed the College of Preceptors English Language and English Literature exams in 1963 so I can string a few words together reasonably well..Smile
As regards your sentence saying- "The massacre of the innocents ordered by Herod was massive enough to call for contemporary historians to record it as a significant event of the time", it seems plain enough to me, you're telling us that some contemporary historians OUTSIDE the Bible recorded Herod's attempt to kill the baby Jesus, or have I misinterpreted your words in some way, or perhaps you made a simple typo error?..Wink

First of all, they're obviously not my words. Let me paraphrase it for you: 'The massacre of the innocents allegedly ordered by Herod would have been massive enough for contemporary historians to record it as a significant event of the time if it had actually happened. However, not even Herod's closest biographer mentioned it.'

If you doubt my paraphrase, just ask any other native speaker's opinion.

*cough*
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 10:16 pm
Quote:
Setanta said: Romeo is a man of great caliber . . . truly, a big bore

I see you've made over 17,000 posts in A2K mate, yet your profile is still a near-blank because you're still hiding under the bed, afraid to say if you're male/female/yank/limey/chinese/hetero/gay/undecided/young or old etc.
Your name "Setanta" might be a clue, as Set was a freako egyptian god, so are we to assume you're a mummy's boy?..Wink

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/SetA_zps229aaa4b.gif~original
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 10:27 pm
Quote:
Anonymously said: I wonder where I 'fit', 'in'.

WHOA mate, don't go through life thinking you have to "fit in" anywhere..Smile
Jesus said- "The world wants you to dance to its tune......God has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners...to release the oppressed" (Matt 11:16/17,Luke 4:18 )
And others quickly caught on-
"Jesus saved you from the empty way of life handed you by your forefathers" (1 Pet 1:18 )
"Don't conform to the pattern of this world" (Romans 12:2)
"Don't love the world or the things in it," (1 John 2:15-17)
"You were dead when you followed the ways of the world....don't keep submitting to its rules" (Eph 2:1/2, Col 2:20)

Some people spend their whole lives dancing to the world's tune trying to "fit in", and they're usually the unhappiest people around!
We holy men don't dance..Smile

Romeo on patrol, Plymouth UK
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/POS-swagger2_zps8e311a2c.jpg~original
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 10:47 pm
Quote:
Setanta pouted: Romeo is a man of great caliber . . . truly, a big bore.
Neologist chipped in with: You scored a hole in one there, Set.
It's always been of interest to me that so called believers make better arguments for disbelief than do many non believers

Guys, guys, you've seen my truckloads of fan mail, so now let's see some of yours..Smile
neologist

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 01:20 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
How hard does a blow hard have to blow for his trumpet to be heard by God?
- Matthew 6:2
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 01:57 am
Quote:
Neologist said: @RF- How hard does a blow hard have to blow for his trumpet to be heard by God?- Matthew 6:2

Dunno what bible you're using mate but here's the accepted verse- “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others" - Matt 6:2

If I was a hypocrite trying to make myself look good, I'd have mentioned in A2K the cash I gave away over Christmas and the New Year out of my own pocket to beggars, the homeless, an animal charity etc, totalling around £290 (440 US dollars), plus another £1300 (2100 US dollars) in cash presents to my relatives..Wink

Bragging is only a no-no if it's done for personal glory, otherwise it's fine to let the world see how kool you are-
Jesus said- "Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven" Matt 5:16

Oh, and I've said plenty of times in A2K that I'm an ex-convict, so if i was out to make myself look good I'd have kept it secret wouldn't I?..Smile

Anyway Neo mate you're not shy of a little boasting yourself as this bit from your profile illustrates..Wink-
"I graduated from college with a degree in psychology...I also won my share of weightlifting contests"
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 04:03 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
If I was a hypocrite trying to make myself look good, I'd have mentioned in A2K the cash I gave away over Christmas and the New Year out of my own pocket to beggars, the homeless, an animal charity etc, totalling around £290 (440 US dollars), plus another £1300 (2100 US dollars) in cash presents to my relatives..Wink

You just did.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 04:06 am
Romeo--completely clueless.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 05:15 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Sashay on,Romeo.
And do si do
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 05:31 am
Whereas I help anybody, JW's seem to only help each other if this report is anything to go by..Wink

If individuals in our congregation struggle financially, others who can, help them out, some have even gone as far as letting fellow JW's live with them until they get back on their feet, we buy groceries or bring meals to families who are in need, we care for sick members, we support each other emotionally as well. We are a worldwide family, it's a real friendship & united brotherhood, so yes, we do help each other out when it is needed.
..One journalist who was critical of the general relief effort was surprised and impressed to learn that Jehovah’s Witnesses had supplied their members with food, tarpaulins, and other essential items within days of the quake,” says Craig Tucker.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130316180549AAHr9TZ
Calamity Dal

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 07:08 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
You seem so desperate to discredit Jehovahs that you conveniently left out the rest of the "report"

Quote:
“One journalist who was critical of the general relief effort was surprised and impressed to learn that Jehovah’s Witnesses had supplied their members with food, tarpaulins, and other essential items within days of the quake,” says Craig Tucker.
“Villagers on Ranongga commented favorably on our rapid relief effort and lamented the lack of support from their own church,” adds Patson.
One woman exclaimed, “Your organization was so quick to respond!”

The Witnesses also reached out to assist their neighbors. “While visiting the makeshift hospital in Gizo, we saw a married couple whom we had recently met,” relates Christine Shaw.
“Both were injured and badly traumatized. The woman’s grandchild had been torn from her by the tsunami and had drowned.
We quickly returned home to bring them needed food and clothing. They were most grateful.”

I dont like all of what the Jehovahs teach, but I do respect them, they are a far better people than your type. you don't have to look far to find examples of how they have helped in Disaster zone relief efforts.

Quote:
** Example of food supplied by the Haiti relief center run from the Kingdom Hall

FOOD & SUPPLIES
**70 tons of food and equipment (including tents & clothing)
** 5,000 pounds of medicine and medical equipment
**70,076 daily food rations were supplied

You wouldn't be being deceitful would you Mick? I'm beginning to wonder if you do the same with the bible.
Calamity Dal

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 07:11 am
@Calamity Dal,
More

Quote:
Jehovah's Witnesses associations run centres for education and voluntary work. These centers organise free home visits to the local "needy" in the community offering them spiritual and practical help and councelling. Jehovah's Witnesses have also been recognised for their award winning local literacy programs which help the poor and underprivileged in a practical way.
http://www.yellowpages.ca/search/si/1/Ki...

As well as their humanitarian work in the community Jehovah's Witnesses also run a number of charitable associations such as "Aid Afrique" that sent FOOD**, clothing, and medical supplies to those in need. They are of course also well known for their disaster relief work and home reconstruction programs that have helped many people across America and elsewhere, hit by disasters, rebuild their homes free of charge so they do not have to sleep in tents, trailers or on the street.
Calamity Dal

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 07:18 am
@Calamity Dal,
and from their website.
http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/assist-with-disaster-relief/

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 08:11 am
@Calamity Dal,
Calamity Dal wrote:
. . . .You wouldn't be being deceitful would you Mick? I'm beginning to wonder if you do the same with the bible.
Yeah, what you said.
anonymously99stwin

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 09:25 am
@neologist,
I've had thoughts of burning the bibe. Envisioned me doing so.

I don't know what that means.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 10:00 am
Quote:
Calamity said: You wouldn't be being deceitful would you Mick? I'm beginning to wonder if you do the same with the bible
Neo to Calamity: Yeah, what you said.

Hey don't shoot the messenger!
I always provide links to back myself up so my army of fans can double check for themselves, that's why I'm such a formidable debating champion..Smile
And seeing as Neo just took another pop at me, I'll take a pop at his JW's by asking where they get all their money from?-

"In June 2012, the Superior Court of Alameda, California, ordered the Watch Tower Society to pay $21 million in punitive damages, in addition to compensatory damages, after finding that the Society's policy to not disclose child abuse history of a member to parents in the congregation or to report abuse to authorities contributed to the sexual abuse of a nine-year-old girl.
A subsequent motion in September 2012 resulted in a reduction of the punitive damages to $8.61 million"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 10:15 am
Quote:
Anonymous said: I've had thoughts of burning the bibe. Envisioned me doing so.

Just make sure you start with the JW's 'New World Translation' mate..Wink

Jehovah's Witness mother dies after refusing blood transfusion
Monday 5 November 2007 19.17 GMT
A 22-year-old mother died just hours after giving birth to twins because doctors were forbidden from giving her a blood transfusion as a Jehovah's Witness.
Emma Gough's family, including her Jehovah's Witness husband, Anthony, 24, refused to overrule her wishes and she died after losing blood.
Mr Gough was reported to be looking after the couple's twin boy and girl at his home in Telford, Shropshire, following the tragedy at the Royal Hospital in Shrewsbury on October 25.
Jehovah's Witnesses believe the bible explicitly bans its followers from receiving blood, even in an emergency.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/nov/05/health.religion
anonymously99stwin

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2014 10:22 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
I'm not understanding.
0 Replies