The atheist argument - explanation and advice.

JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 04:47 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
The atheist position is either
1) absurd (not believing in a spatial and temporal God) or
2) unsound (not believing in an experience of God).

You are an atheist too John.

You (and almost all theists) are atheistic with respect to every other religion on the planet (of which there are thousands) except the one you happened to have been exposed to early in life. You recognize many religions as concepts but you don't give any credence to them and you don't spend much time thinking about how they relate to your world view. And you lose no sleep at night worrying about how they have condemned you to eternal hell for not accepting them. You simply dismiss them. That is how pure atheists feel about all religions.

Pure atheists are just atheistic about one more religion that you are.

Religion (like patriotism) is always my religion. There are no "other" religions. There is no relationship between a person and their religion. It is an integral way of life.

This simply means that there are no religions because religion is incommensurable, not that religion is non-existent.
tenderfoot

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 04:55 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
When you stop believing in your one and only special god.. you'll stop being a clown "perhaps"... though I very much doubt it.
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 04:58 pm
@tenderfoot,
tenderfoot wrote:

When you stop believing in your one and only special god.. you'll stop being a clown "perhaps"... though I very much doubt it.

Can people make sure that they attribute their posts correctly.
rosborne979

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 07:56 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:
Religion (like patriotism) is always my religion. There are no "other" religions. There is no relationship between a person and their religion. It is an integral way of life.

This simply means that there are no religions because religion is incommensurable, not that religion is non-existent.

Are you saying that every individual is inseparable from its religion? That they are essentially the same thing?
mikeymojo

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 08:47 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
Are you implying people can't hold the belief of God and reject the bs organized religions spew? I know many people who believe in God but hate organized religions. All of them.
anonymously99stwin

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 11:44 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
Say she is atheist. Does she necessarily need to have a position?

Why couldn't she simply be an atheist?

I don't know. She thought one was not supposed to reveal whether they are atheist or not.
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 02:18 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

Are you saying that every individual is inseparable from its religion? That they are essentially the same thing?

Yes. That's not being for (or against) that, please most definitely note.
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 02:19 pm
@mikeymojo,
mikeymojo wrote:

Are you implying people can't hold the belief of God and reject the bs organized religions spew? I know many people who believe in God but hate organized religions. All of them.

Makes sense. REligion is a way of life. There are other ways of course.
0 Replies

JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 02:23 pm
@anonymously99stwin,
anonymously99stwin wrote:

Say she is atheist. Does she necessarily need to have a position?

Why couldn't she simply be an atheist?

I don't know. She thought one was not supposed to reveal whether they are atheist or not.

There have been some accounts of atheists suddenly having some mystical experience. The one person who's report I came across that that happened to said that there did not seem to be a connection between their mystical venture and their atheism, as if the two were somehow independent. But I don't want to quote that without the original.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 02:24 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

If that's your perspective then Atheism is also inseparable from the person, and every person on the planet represents a different state of being which cannot be defined any more accurately than simply "The Individual".

But again, this is a pedantic point. Why bother to make it. Individual consciousness is always going to be unique, but that doesn't mean that there aren't selected facets of each consciousness that overlap with others, and those are the other conceptual ideas which we give names to (like Religion and Atheism).
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 03:17 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:

JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

If that's your perspective then Atheism is also inseparable from the person, and every person on the planet represents a different state of being which cannot be defined any more accurately than simply "The Individual".

But again, this is a pedantic point. Why bother to make it. Individual consciousness is always going to be unique, but that doesn't mean that there aren't selected facets of each consciousness that overlap with others, and those are the other conceptual ideas which we give names to (like Religion and Atheism).

Yes, if I say that a person is embedded in their religion, and not merely "related" to it, then I could say the same of atheism.
But if an atheist is embedded in, and not merely related to, atheism, they would be doing more than adopting a stance to externalities like evidence. What that "more" is, I do not know. For religion, it might be the exercising of a mystical urge in a social context.
fresco

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 01:34 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
Quote:
Yes, if I say that a person is embedded in their religion, and not merely "related" to it, then I could say the same of atheism.
But if an atheist is embedded in, and not merely related to, atheism, they would be doing more than adopting a stance to externalities like evidence. What that "more" is, I do not know. For religion, it might be the exercising of a mystical urge in a social context.

Yes... as suspected you are "quite bright" Wink
My own more extreme version of the above is "a person does not have beliefs, they are their beliefs".

0 Replies

knowlege12345

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 04:44 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I know of infinite consciousness and infinite love this is the non physical god I belive in
anonymously99stwin

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 07:09 pm
@knowlege12345,
You don't have to believe in a 'god' to have love. the ability to love.

Take for example, parents

Say your parents don't believe in a 'god' yet you know they love one another.
anonymously99stwin

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 07:13 pm
@anonymously99stwin,
I've mentioned in the past I've much love.

Yet say honestly I'm secretly a past serial killer.

Do you honestly think I would reveal that sh*t.

Am I that crazy. to commit such a crime.
anonymously99stwin

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 07:16 pm
@anonymously99stwin,
((I whispering, I'm too immature to have the ability to start killing people.)) Smile
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 01:42 am
@JohnJonesCardiff,
JohnJonesCardiff wrote:

The atheist position is either
1) absurd (not believing in a spatial and temporal God) or
2) unsound (not believing in an experience of God).

In 1) the atheist takes an absurd stance by conspiring with superstition in arguing against a God that lives in the universe somewhere. That is an absurd stance.

In 2) the atheist either denies the primacy of experience, or denies a particular experience. The former denial is illogical: experience (uninterpreted) is exactly what it is. The latter denial is circumstantial, and so it is unsound. It depends on people having no experience of a God, as they report it.

Regarding the latter, circumstance does not favor the atheist's position. Experiences of God, or of an autonomous agent of varying descriptions are common. Even atheists have such experiences.

This is my advice. Atheists needs to redefine their argument. However, apart from the two positions I have listed above it seems that there are no other options available.

You commit logical fallacies in the above. Your "premises" aren't premises, they're strawmen infected with question-begging. In them, you assert opinions as though they were premises, but they do not entail your conclusion. You present a false dichotomy in order to set up an artificial verbal artifice disguised as a conclusion. You merely boldly declare that the "atheist position" (as if there were only one and that atheists were unanimous in their support of it) is either absurd (by means of its own definition? simply because you disagree with it?), or unsound (strawman pretending to be a fundamental atheist claim), and present them as if they were the only logical possibilities (false dichotomy).

Insofar as some atheists boldly claim that there is no god, it is incumbent upon them to provide evidence to support that knowledge claim.

Insofar as theists boldly claim that there is a god, it is incumbent upon them to provide evidence to support that knowledge claim.

Insofar as an atheist (or agnostic) says that there is insufficient evidence for a supernatural creator to justify basing one's entire life around the claim that there is, that's a solid position as long as the evidence is lacking. If theists want to convert a rational thinker, they need to provide evidence.

Thing is, they can't do that for a couple of reasons.
a) They don't seem to be able to find anything like real credible evidence, and
b) if they did, that would destroy the commanding role of faith, without which salvation (by their own declarations) is impossible, because once you have evidence, you have knowledge and faith no longer applies.

So, when an atheist claims to know that there is no god, I would challenge him/her to provide relevant, credible evidence. Likewise, when a theist claims to know that there is a god, I challenge him/her to provide relevant, credible evidence. As long as the evidence for either is lacking, I have no rational motivation to take sides.

Since I don't have a material or emotional need for belief in any such supernatural protector or afterlife, I have no motivation - in the absence of evidence - to rearrange my life as if there were.
Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 03:50 am
Well stated.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 06:57 am
@FBM,
Quote:
So, when an atheist claims to know that there is no god, I would challenge him/her to provide relevant, credible evidence. Likewise, when a theist claims to know that there is a god, I challenge him/her to provide relevant, credible evidence. As long as the evidence for either is lacking, I have no rational motivation to take sides.

The only problem with that is that there is no agreement about what might constitute such evidence. That is why "faith" has become the entry qualification for believers. Some atheists know that the evidence factor is a red herring, but because "God exists" for believers they are still obliged to adopt a lifestyle which accommodates to those subsequent sometimes troublesome social forces, whether they are interested in "God" or not. Therein, at the social response level, lies the need for "rationality".
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2014 06:20 pm
What evidence of a God are atheists looking for? What would they accept?
For instance if God appeared to them they'd simply assume he was a hallucination or something.
In other words NO evidence would satisfy them would it?