The atheist argument - explanation and advice.

FBM

Reply Tue 7 Jan, 2014 11:11 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
FBM wrote: "The massacre of the innocents ordered by Herod was massive enough to call for contemporary historians to record it as a significant event of the time.
Yet not even the most detailed account of Herod's life, written by Josephus, mentions this event" Matt 2:16

Mate, you're admitting that some historians (OUTSIDE of the Bible) recorded the fact that Herod killed all the baby boys in the hope that Jesus was among them, thanks for that..Smile

You might consider getting some lessons in reading comprehension. Read that again, carefully this time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_the_Innocents

"Although consistent with other documented actions of King Herod, the massacre cannot be positively verified outside of the biblical source."
neologist

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 01:08 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Quote:
FBM said: It never hurts to make him [RF] look stoopid, though, does it?
Neologist said: Agreed
Neo baby, i'd have thought you'd have learnt by now not to throw punches at me! As a Jehovah's Witness, you and your JW chums are clean off the "stoopid" scale..Wink
For example you'd rather let your kids die than have a transfusion, you think Jesus was crucified on a pole, you think church spires, christmas, easter and birthdays are evil, you refuse to salute the stars and stripes and won't fight in any war.
And despite you having spent over 40 years in the JW's you still admit you sometimes know jack ..Wink
"When I'm wrong, I fess up to it" (Neologist 21 Sep 013)
"I'm no genius..One of my main reasons for posting here is to sharpen my understanding" (Neologist 21 Sep 013)
"JWs are most certainly not perfect" (Neologist 18 Aug 2006)
Well you did screw up on that one, Romeo. this is the post I was agreeing with.
FBM wrote:
...http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/1476648_778193145528066_1541812778_n.jpg

Also, take note that I did not correct FBM's spelling, but took note of the fact that we have for sale in our clime the fine quaff known as Hop Stoopid. I thought perhaps that might be the reference he was trying to make.
http://bonbeer.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/lagunitas-hop-stoopid-ale.jpg
You don't imbibe, do you, Romeo?
I suppose that is for the best.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 01:20 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
"The massacre of the innocents ordered by Herod was massive enough to call for contemporary historians to record it as a significant event of the time.
Yet not even the most detailed account of Herod's life, written by Josephus, mentions this event" Matt 2:16
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Mate, you're admitting that some historians (OUTSIDE of the Bible) recorded the fact that Herod killed all the baby boys in the hope that Jesus was among them, thanks for that..Smile
FBM wrote:
You might consider getting some lessons in reading comprehension. Read that again, carefully this time.

"Although consistent with other documented actions of King Herod, the massacre cannot be positively verified outside of the biblical source."
In case anyone wonders why I never come to Romeo's defense as a believer, this is a fine example. Even when he is half right, he always manages to be half slow.
FBM

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 01:39 am
@neologist,
If I were either an avowed believer or an avowed atheist, I'm pretty sure I could construct better arguments in defense of my position. Wink
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 01:49 am
Quote:
FBM wrote: "The massacre of the innocents ordered by Herod was massive enough to call for contemporary historians to record it as a significant event of the time.Yet not even the most detailed account of Herod's life, written by Josephus, mentions this event" Matt 2:16

Romeo replied: Mate, you're admitting that some historians (OUTSIDE of the Bible) recorded the fact that Herod killed all the baby boys in the hope that Jesus was among them, thanks for that..Smile

FBM swung back with: You might consider getting some lessons in reading comprehension. Read that again, carefully this time.

Neo chipped in with: Well you did screw up on that one, Romeo. this is the post I was agreeing with [Hawking]

Let's do a recap for our enthralled popcorn-munching audience-
RBM said straight out that "contemporary historians recorded it [massacre of the innocents] as a significant event of the time", then tried to get out of what he'd said!
And Neo also tried to do a damage limitation exercise with something he himself said too!
So gentlemen, let me give you a word of good advice:- when my trigger finger is itching you'd better make sure you're not sloppy with your words in future..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Westworld2_zps486fe26e.jpg~original
FBM

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 02:20 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
It's worse than I thought. Just a thought: RF, is your native language English? I don't mean that in an insulting way. I'm an EFL teacher. I'll change the way I write if you're not a native speaker.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 02:23 am
Quote:
Neologist huffed: In case anyone wonders why I never come to Romeo's defense as a believer, this is a fine example..

We holy men are never wrong so how on earth can we need "defending"?
"They couldn't beat Paul in arguments because of his wisdom and the spirit" (Acts 6:10)
If I ever think i need Jehovah's Witnesses to "defend" me, that'll be the day i'll be measured up for a straitjacket!
PS- I see you're cosying up to FBM, you must think he needs defending from me..Wink
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 02:37 am
Quote:
FBM asked: RF, is your native language English? I don't mean that in an insulting way. I'm an EFL teacher. I'll change the way I write if you're not a native speaker

Well I won a copy of 'The Observers Book of Aircraft 1958' for "good composition" at junior school, and I passed the College of Preceptors English Language and English Literature exams in 1963 so I can string a few words together reasonably well..Smile
As regards your sentence saying- "The massacre of the innocents ordered by Herod was massive enough to call for contemporary historians to record it as a significant event of the time", it seems plain enough to me, you're telling us that some contemporary historians OUTSIDE the Bible recorded Herod's attempt to kill the baby Jesus, or have I misinterpreted your words in some way, or perhaps you made a simple typo error?..Wink
FBM

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 02:41 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
FBM asked: RF, is your native language English? I don't mean that in an insulting way. I'm an EFL teacher. I'll change the way I write if you're not a native speaker

Well I won a copy of 'The Observers Book of Aircraft 1958' for "good composition" at junior school, and I passed the College of Preceptors English Language and English Literature exams in 1963 so I can string a few words together reasonably well..Smile
As regards your sentence saying- "The massacre of the innocents ordered by Herod was massive enough to call for contemporary historians to record it as a significant event of the time", it seems plain enough to me, you're telling us that some contemporary historians OUTSIDE the Bible recorded Herod's attempt to kill the baby Jesus, or have I misinterpreted your words in some way, or perhaps you made a simple typo error?..Wink

First of all, they're obviously not my words. Let me paraphrase it for you: 'The massacre of the innocents allegedly ordered by Herod would have been massive enough for contemporary historians to record it as a significant event of the time if it had actually happened. However, not even Herod's closest biographer mentioned it.'

If you doubt my paraphrase, just ask any other native speaker's opinion.
Smileyrius

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 02:44 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo, you are wrong a lot my friend. You will deny and riposte and I understand it is part of your faith that you think god makes your words infallible but you are mistaken as to what the holy spirit is capable of. It can give you strength yes, but it does not make you a perfect man in speech or actions.

One of the things I like about the bible is the candid way in which the writers acknowledged their own mistakes and imperfections. If you need examples of ones that were wrong on countless occasions, look no further than Jesus own apostles.

The fruitage of the spirit are found in Galations 5:22-23 if you expand for context take a look at what the works of the flesh are and decipher if you are able, as to whether you show any of them.

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 06:08 am
Firstly my congrats to FBM for getting out of Buddhism..Wink
I wish I could congratulate Neo too for getting himself banned from the JW's many years ago, but sadly he later went crawling back to them like a whipped pup, huh!
FBM

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 06:10 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
That's kinda to the point: you're living a delusion.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 06:20 am
Quote:
Smileyrius said: Romeo, you are wrong a lot my friend..

Careful mate.....the naughty stool....
Anyway talk to my fans because my ears ain't listening..Smile

Spannerose - "Mick, I would like you to know that the result of reading your posts I am left with the desire to pick up my bible for the first time in years"
ChildofLight - "So good to read your responses Mick, some are quite witty and made LOL"
Happysandyh - "welcome Mick, welcome welcome!"
HenryS - "You are brilliant Mick in finding appropriate phrases. Another one of your superb emails to store"
Firebrand - "Amen and welcome Mick"
Coconut - "Whew! Thanks for sharing Mick"
Sarah4Jesus - "Listen to Mick in Plymouth, he is a great teacher"
Cathie - "Very wise advice Mick, thanks"
Kierri - "That was one of the best explanations I've ever heard! Yay for Mick in Plymouth"
Haimehenmmli - "I LOVE IT MATE!!! I'm going to put it into my files, with some of my other favorites, from you"
Evachrst3 - "Right on, Mick, I couldn't agree more.Thank you for defending the faith so eloquently".
Devilmademedoit2 - "I love this! Thanks, Mick!"
SweetSummer96 - "Wow. That's a cool story Mick."
Vespasian052 - "Wow! Mick,what an awesome tale.."
Beekpr9 - "Amen to all you have said, Mick!"
Saipan1777 - "Spot on Mick bravo"
Duke Tinn - "Thanks again Mick. Great Stuff"
Tahella - "Welcome Mick!"
Ainglkiss - "Mick what a wonderful story. You write so well. Keep up the great work"
BlessedOne - "Glad to have you here Mick! Jesus is the way!"
MonkGirl - "Wow, thank you Mick! That is really comforting...and all I really needed to hear!"
WOFman - "Welcome Mick!"
JeffC - "HELL YEAH! PREACH IT BROTHER, THE REALITY WAY! (LUV YUR STYLE....)
Nottonguetied - "I loved those stories from Mick"
Honeybearx - "This was very good reading thank you Mick"
Megan - "Mick, I just wanted to tell you that I loved this story, it was very touching"
Benjoman - "Your one of the only ones from the singles board that I still love Mick"
Allisoneness -"You are the one true Christian on here, keep up the good work and praise the Lord"
Sherry Anne - "Mick i love your posts"
Antipas - "Brilliant yet again Mick"
Easynote - "ROFL Mick you are pure class, another of your timeless classics!"
Kermit - "I love Mick. He is so, how shall I say it, RIGHT ON THE MONEY AND FUNNY, TOO"
Kermmiekr - "How uplifting Mick, and so very true"
Chrysalis55- "Just want to say, I love your posts and your messages not only insprire me, sometimes they make me laugh
because you are able to get your point across in such a great way. WAY TO GO waymarker!!!"
Evenflow- I just LOVE this post You have made me smile BIG TIME this morning. Good for you and what a great attitude you have to life xx
Apple Pie - "Really good to see you, Mick. Come on over to 4church, we could do with your input and your humour"
Lillian - "Mick please come back..it's nice having you on the board"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Romeo Fabulini: I just keep getting stronger!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/zu1sA_zps94c5327a.jpg~original
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 06:32 am
Now I understand the dependency on all the cut-and-paste.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 06:48 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
You confuse the issue by taking statements out of the order (and context) in which they were posted. Is that a mental thing with you or are you deliberately deceitful?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 10:20 am
Quote:
Neologist said: You confuse the issue by taking statements out of the order (and context) in which they were posted. Is that a mental thing with you or are you deliberately deceitful?

Yours and some other peoples "post discipline" is very sloppy mate because you simply hit the "Reply" button and nobody knows which post you're replying to!
My way is much better because I begin with "So-and-so said:" followed by their quote in a neat box.
I can then add my superhumanly witty reply to it just like i've done in this post..Smile
Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 10:45 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Witty? You're a troll, your wit is of a special variety--the half-wit variety.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 10:56 am
Romeo fabulist wrote:
nobody knows which post you're replying to!

Almost everybody knows that.

Aren't you so witty as to find how we know?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 12:18 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
I can then add my superhumanly witty reply to it just like i've done in this post..
Unless, of course, you unwittingly reply to the wrong post or misread the post and must do the "a2k sashay" to hide your embarrassment.

BTW, the term "a2k sashay" has just been coined in your behalf. Slide on, Romeo.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2014 02:18 pm
Romeo is a man of great caliber . . . truly, a big bore.