Rottweiler a good Christmas present for young children/certain circumstances?

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 05:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Well this was a planned pet gift - my SIL did say at first she was getting the kids a Rott. My mom panicked and said that isn't a good dog for young children - and have you checked if there would be a problem with your insurance company?

She came back later and said - oh I changed my mind we are getting a golden retriever or a black lab. Then surprise Christmas we get a picture of the new puppy - I just glanced at saw that it looked black and assumed it was a lab.

Then when the kids came over they said oh it is a rottweiler. The ex-SIL was (my guess) being sneaky - which my other guess she isn't going to be telling the insurance company she has a dog much less the breed and she will think she will get away with it.

Funny story on these and insurance companies. My mom had a dog - when he passed away, she of course, made note to the insurance company they no longer have a dog. Months later she gets a call from the insurance company saying we show a Beware of Dog sign in your yard. She explained (and it is true) she left it up to keep her home from being robbed. So crazy huh, insurance companies do check these things.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 08:40 pm
@Linkat,
Rottweiler's present a far greater danger to those who are not in their pack than they do those within.

They are, of course, big and powerful dogs and so there is always the possibility that through size alone they might inadvertantly hurt a child, but if they grow up with the children, the kids are not likely to have anything to fear from them.

(Caveat: There is no breed that is 100% safe around kids. Dogs have individual personalitites, and any one of them can have a miswired brain)
Ceili

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 06:47 am
Rotties are awesome dogs. The only time I've seen a mean one is when they're guard dogs. One summer I read gas meters. I had to go from house to house, or into the yard to read each monitor. At one house, there was an old husky. I made friends with it and walked into the yard. I was kneeling down, writing all the info down when I felt a dogs nose on my neck. I reached up to pet what I thought was the husky and there, beside, stood a huge Rottie. I froze, then slowly petted him. He was cool.
Mostly they're big doofusses.
I hate the idea of the poor thing being crated. It's usually completely unnecessary.
All dogs need good training though. I have a big dog. He's a doofus too. But he was potty trained in less than two weeks. And the only time he's terrible on the leash is when he sees stupid cats and hares. He's awesome with little kids too.
The dog might help calm the kid down. Or like most smart dogs, if the don't like someone, they'll avoid 'em.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 07:01 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Rottweiler's present a far greater danger to those who are not in their pack than they do those within.

So that could be why the higher insurance - the protective instinct - perhaps it is more attacking to protect their pack.

Well my kids most likely won't be going over there - not necessarily because of the dog, more the mom and the divorce. They are more likely to be around the kids at my house or with my brother or mom.
0 Replies