Please edit my undergraduate essays

the 376

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2013 08:43 am
These essays are a part of the Duke writing supplement. Please be harsh and improve them. I am very inexperienced at writing.

1) If you are applying to the Pratt School of Engineering as either a first year or transfer applicant, please discuss why you want to study engineering and why you would like to study at Duke. (Please limit your response to no more than 150 words.)

When I was in primary school, I had an immense passion for building things. Everyday, after school, I used to spend time in my father's garage, tinkering (and occasionally injuring) myself with the myriad objects there. Drills and screwdrivers were my toys, I liked to disassemble objects and build crazy things out of them. One summer, I created a temperature controlled watering device for the garden plants from nothing but an old toy and a fire hose. I once read in the newspaper about a foot-powered washing machine. Inspired, I ended up with not one but five such washing machines and sold them across the neighborhood. I spent weeks building and rebuilding tools which made lives of people around me a bit easier.
This passion still fuels me. It now seems logical that I pursue engineering from Pratt School to realize this dream of building a better world for everyone. (150 words)

2) Please discuss one of your extracurricular activities that has required a particularly significant time commitment or that has played a meaningful role in your personal development. (Please limit your response to no more than 150 words.)

Education has been the centre of my world since long. I saw the kids from not so well to do families in my neighborhood who attended Government schools, and found that something somewhere was lacking in them. On further analysis, I found out that none of the twenty odd kids in the neighborhood were acquainted with the basic fundamentals of their coursework. Their teachers did not care at all because they just wanted their paychecks.
I started tried to bridge this gap and started teaching a few of those kids. Eventually, their grades started rising, all owing to their dedication and belief in me. I still mentor a few students and spend around an hour with them daily.
This was beneficial for them and me, alike. I got a chance to bring out the best in the kids and also found myself a meaningful task to spend my evenings on. (150 words)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 3,366 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 23 Dec, 2013 11:15 am
As a fluent native speaker, who regularly reads such material, I cannot see much that requires alteration. You have done well. A couple of small things:

"Everyday, after school," - Every day

"Education has been the centre of my world since long" - for a long time

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 11:11 pm
@the 376,
Read and improve them yourself, that is why you are in some kind of supplement school, to learn. It might take you awhile.
0 Replies

Great Goal

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 05:33 am
I have more confuse about writing the resume for the finds job. So i have approach the essay writing online company. It have to provide the some easy way to preparing the resume. It is more useful for my job finding. You can any tips to make an essay or any other paper means to approach that company website.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 09:11 am
@the 376,
the 376 wrote:

These essays are a part of the Duke writing supplement. Please be harsh and improve them. I am very inexperienced at writing.

1) If you are applying to the Pratt School of Engineering as either a first year or transfer applicant, please discuss why you want to study engineering and why you would like to study at Duke. (Please limit your response to no more than 150 words.)

While in primary school, I had a strong passion for trying to engineer new things. Every day, after school, I would spend time in my father's garage tinkering (and occasionally injuring myself) with the many tools found there. Drills and screwdrivers were my toys, I would disassemble objects and build new and interesting things out of them. One summer, I created a temperature controlled watering device for the garden plants from nothing but an old toy {what toy?} and a fire hose. I had once read in the newspaper about a foot-powered washing machine. Inspired, I ended up building not one but five such washing machines and then sold them across the neighborhood. I spent weeks building and rebuilding tools which would make the lives of people around me a bit easier.
This passion still blazes within me. It is only logical that I pursue engineering from Pratt School to realize this dream of building a better world for everyone. (count and edit as needed words)

Quote:
2) Please discuss one of your extracurricular activities that has required a particularly significant time commitment or that has played a meaningful role in your personal development. (Please limit your response to no more than 150 words.)

Education has long been the center of my world. Growing up, I saw kids from many families in my neighborhood who attended Government schools were lacking many necessary skills. On further analysis, I found out that none of the twenty odd kids in the neighborhood were acquainted with the basic fundamentals of their coursework. Many of them were not getting the proper attention they needed at school.
I tried to bridge this gap and began teaching a few of these kids. Eventually, their grades started rising, all owing to the time and effort spent with me. I still mentor a few students and spend around an hour with them daily.
This has been beneficial for both them and me. I got a chance to bring out the best in the kids and also found myself a meaningful task to spend my evenings on. (count and edit as needed words)
0 Replies