MUSIC FOR YOUR FUNERAL

izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 06:25 am
@farmerman,
I'm not a great fan of classical music, I doubt I'd like it any more when I was dead.
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 06:36 am
@izzythepush,
I think I could annoy the hell outta people by playing some long piece by Gorecki and having someone read something from The Federalist Papers.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 06:44 am
@farmerman,
Like Peter Sellers.

Quote:
At Sellers' request, the song "In The Mood" was played at his funeral, a tune that he hated. According to biographer Roger Lewis, Sellers had told his son Michael that the song was "wonderfully inappropriate - hence, wonderfully appropriate - for solemn occasions."

http://www.petersellers.com/about/biography.html
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 10:06 am
@farmerman,
I'm compiling my list and there will be some classical music on it.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 10:16 am
In my will it specifies no memorial service, nothing. I will be cremated and my ashes are to be scattered below the Hollywood sign in CA.
vonny

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 10:18 am
@jcboy,
I plan to be cremated - the music I want played is 'Light my Fire' by the Doors and 'Something's Burning' by Kenny Rogers. Laughing
0 Replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 10:44 am
@farmerman,

I'm a Deadhead, 'nuf said.
At the hospital: - Bat Out of Hell by Meatloaf {110dbs} - (If this doesn't open my eyes, nothing will.)
At the wake: ~ Fire on the Mountain; the Bird Song; Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
At the funeral: ~ He's Gone; Black Peter; Terrapin
At graveside: ~ Franklin's Tower; Wheel; The Music Never Stopped
Denouement: ~ Walk, Before They Make Me Run by Rolling Stones

Roberta

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:33 pm
The person who will probably be handling my funeral arrangements follows Jewish law. No embalming, no open casket, no flowers, no music. Just throw me in a box and get me into the ground fast. Fine with me.

If I could pick music for my funeral, I would choose Beethoven and Elvis. But I won't hear it, so what difference does it make?
Germlat

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:55 pm
@Roberta,
Mirror image here
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:55 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
that would annoy more people, in my opinion, than would a concert of Irish folk music. The Dead have a habit of going on and on and on and on ad on and on and...
I suppose that one wouldn't have to buy in any xtra doobies to go to your funeral
farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 03:00 pm
@Roberta,
I unnerstand, funerals are for the living after all , so, Im still gonna plan mine so as to be either
annoying an long winded

or
short and punchy.

We had a funeral for friend of mine (who led an interesting life) who was killed in the 80's and they had a long train of cars with flowers ,It was worthy of Goodfellas. His music was all Opera and Jerry Vale, Real crappy but it was expected of his culture
Germlat

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 03:12 pm
@farmerman,
Why is it your legacy? Is it your contribution to someone's emotional well-being that to be as obnoxious as possible...if so why? Are you uncomfortable with any genuine display of grief? Don't think I get it....
chai2

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 03:33 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I believe that's why the maoris always had an abundance of bodies upon which to hone their HAKA skills. In the meantime they were getting shot by enemies with guns.

That would be ok for a biker funeral. Although a biker funeral I once attended had everyone quaff a Yuengling

I'm going to stipulate no white men with guns at my funeral.

hm...doesn't say biker funeral to me. I see it as a fierce goodbye.
chai2

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 04:04 pm
@chai2,
If I can't get anyone to do a Haka at my funeral, I want them to play this record. Both sides. I best part is on side 2, at 5:35.

I was obsessed with it as a little girl.

I would want everyone to sit quietly and listen respectfully.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 04:29 pm
@Germlat,
Its my funeral, if you don't get it, you've made me happy.
Germlat

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2013 04:54 pm
@farmerman,
I guess it'll take me time to get to know you..it's all good.
0 Replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 09:39 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

that would annoy more people, in my opinion, than would a concert of Irish folk music. The Dead have a habit of going on and on and on and on ad on and on and...
I suppose that one wouldn't have to buy in any xtra doobies to go to your funeral
Well, I'm Irish, and my cousins probably will perform some Irish folk music, as they play it professionally. Yes, the Dead are a noted jam band who just keep playing, but an Irish wake can last a few days so they're a good fit. Extra doobies are always welcome, but I'm sure there will be no shortage, my friends are usually carrying. We may be old, but we're cool, not cold - I'll be toasted (cremated, so very well toasted).

anonymously99

Reply Tue 24 Dec, 2013 09:46 pm
@Jack of Hearts,
Hmmm. I was just thinking about you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 04:57 am
Little Johnny Mozart . . . let us not go gentle into that good night . . .

"Masonic Funeral Music" (Maurerische Trauermusik)

"Dies Irae," from his requiem mass

Symphony No. 25, first movement

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 05:48 am
One more . . . Louie Beethoven, third symphony, second movement, the funeral march . . .

0 Replies