MUSIC FOR YOUR FUNERAL

Foofie

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 06:55 pm
Wagner's "Flight of the Valkyrie." That was the music that accompanied the scene in Apocalypse Now when the Air Cavalry was approaching a village out of the rising sun, with that music blaring from loudspeakers on the gunships.

That music might just bring me back from the dead? [Don't forget the famous line in that scene, "Fight or surf."]

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 07:21 pm
I'm still having fun with my list. Probably will be back when this thread shuffles off it's mortal coil.
farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 10:34 pm
@ossobuco,
One piece that Ive considered for mine is the closing theme from the Old Ernie Kovacs Show. (It was from Philadelphia and I was about 8 years old and watched it at lunch time with my mom)

HERE IT IS> MY GOING OUT THEME.

chai2

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2013 10:56 pm
@farmerman,
Ooooo....that's a good one.

It's no Tina the Ballerina, but still pretty good.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 08:56 pm
Two.

At the beginning, Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings because this piece of music invokes in me the heart breaking sorrow that I would feel if I could feel anything upon my death...and I want others to feel that way about my passing.

At the end Mist Covered Mountains on the pipes.

Now what might be played at my wake, is something entirely different.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2013 09:04 pm
@farmerman,
I can't see that, part of my now long time problem about not being able to upgrade adobe fox on my old mac.
Picture, if you will, many blank white spaces where the posters never give a clue for what they'll show. At least you told me it was the Kovacs show.

My list is getting better, but I've some rule outs.
farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 02:28 am
@ossobuco,
why not just post your choices and Ill go find the YOU TUBE clips. OK? I think youre worrying about this thread too much. Forget about it and just emjoy what others have to say. We seem to have a bifurcation of types of music. We have those with choices that revolve around classical or Romantic music, those with choices that focus on contemporary music. SO far no one has really developed a comedic list based upon the very point that someone made "HEY IM DED SUCKER"

My ERnie Kovacs choice was a somewhat lame attempt at filling that void a bit. (Although Id venture a guess that Mrs Chai was being a bit of a comedienne)

My real choices would include the Edvard Strauss piece the "BAHN FREI POLKA ( I guess it could be translated to mean "make a path for the train Polka").
This was a theme song for a radio personality to whom I used to listen to as a 10 year old kid when I was in bed at 9PM and I tuned in to the scratchy airways of old time 1960's radio as JEan Shepherd would come in from the ether and regale us with tales of his childhood and days in theNAvy and working in a steel mill.

I wish I could find the Jean Shepherd theme that was based upon the Bahn Frei Polka. (It started with a "Post Time" bugle call)
vonny

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 08:20 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I wish I could find the Jean Shepherd theme that was based upon the Bahn Frei Polka. (It started with a "Post Time" bugle call)

Is this what you mean?

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 08:35 am
@farmerman,
At Eurodiva's/Thedivaden's funeral, we played Innamoramento album softly on a loop in the background. Melancholic French pop seemed very appropriate for that difficult night.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/56/Innamoramento.jpg
farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 08:37 am
@vonny,
That's it. I would have them [play that as the officiator would ask everyone to leave and reassemble at The Dew Drop Inn on US Rt 6 near Tunkhannock Pa for some memorial libation .
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 08:40 am
@tsarstepan,
chick music alright. Might as well play Enya records. O course , theres no right answer (except for my funeral)

Maybe Gene Krupas "SING SING SING"
chai2

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 10:36 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

My ERnie Kovacs choice was a somewhat lame attempt at filling that void a bit. (Although Id venture a guess that Mrs Chai was being a bit of a comedienne)

No farmer, I really wasn't. I loved Tina the Ballerina soooooo much.

I think doing a haka and playing Tina the Ballerina afterwards would be perfect for me.
farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 12:00 pm
@chai2,
ok then youre just weird
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 12:06 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
SO far no one has really developed a comedic list based upon the very point that someone made "HEY IM DED SUCKER"

I went to a funeral a few years ago where the dearly departed had developed that type of playlist - Monty Python's Look on the Bright Side featured prominently.

It didn't work out so well. Every time one of the "happy" songs started there would be huge outbursts of tears and wails. It was horrific. It was bad enough that Ross was comparatively young and two of his three kids spoke. All that uplifting stuff totally backfired. Even the release of balloons turned out to be really distressing.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 12:39 pm

hamburgboy

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2013 01:10 pm
@farmerman,
" Bahn Frei ! " = " clear the tracks ! "

Zubin Metha & the Vienna Philharmonic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS2aMEjy85A

........................................................................................

and a similar one :

" ohne aufenthalt " = " no stopping - the through-train "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axMX8P6Le8Y
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 11:14 am
@Ticomaya,
I'm curious about the meaning of your name Ticomaya..I have my guesses but what does it mean if you don't mind me asking?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 05:01 pm
Unlike Doc Holliday, I find nothing funny about death and I'm not prepared to line up a comedy revue for my funeral.

You funeral, ultimately, is for those left behind, and I doubt they will want to laugh.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 08:46 pm
@farmerman,
I'm enjoying it, I'm just slow. Got a few tunes to play before my choices settle down. Some of them are weird but fitting.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2013 10:35 pm
@Germlat,
My first name is Tico and my last name is Maya.