Why do people deny evolution?

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 24 May, 2014 08:39 am
Quote:
Farmerman said: Each sperm delivers a pair of the 23 chromosomes and the genic compliment would be like 2^23 or about the population of NEW YORK pr sperm shot. (Excluding and combination variants or other mutations which would jack that up even higher)

Perhaps I phrased my question badly, let me try again-
Each sperm contains all the genetic coding to make a human being when it fertilises the egg.
For example when my mam and dad were at it before they were married in a back alley in 1947, suppose some of my dads sperm trickled on the ground. No sweat, a single sperm made the home run didn't it, and here I am!
edgarblythe

Sat 24 May, 2014 08:54 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Quehoniaomath wrote:

Quote:
Don't let Farmerman get the best of you, Que.

lol, he won't, neither will you Wink

Quote:
The only things he has going for him are above average intelligence

I sincerely doubt that, how do you know? Wink

Quote:
...and the facts.

which ones???? I ask all the time, but alas.....

Farmerman is the only one on this thread who consistently gives evidence for his position. Q and spendi have yet to produce one iota of substance.
spendius

Sat 24 May, 2014 09:29 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Farmerman is the only one on this thread who consistently gives evidence for his position.

Correct ed. In fact he is seemingly unable to prevent himself doing so. The position being one foot on either side of a widening pit.

Quote:
Q and spendi have yet to produce one iota of substance.

I have provided this thread with 8 reasons why people might deny evolution, ed, and you have provided none. Nor have you challenged any of the reasons I have given.

The thread asks the question. And fm has not thought fit to address himself to it either and has been trolling since the start.

Are you cross-eyed or what?
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 24 May, 2014 09:36 am
@spendius,
Quote:
And she won some seats in the election.

It was remiss of me to have not said that the election was also absurd.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 24 May, 2014 10:20 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Your mum and dad got married in a back alley?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 24 May, 2014 10:21 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
No sweat, a single sperm made the home run didn't it, and here I am!

If a different sperm had made it, you would be different, you might be a woman.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 24 May, 2014 10:22 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
maybe that sperm would have been your brother Nigel.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 24 May, 2014 10:36 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Quote:
Do you mean all those extremely stupid hoaxes like Piltman, stupid peppered moths and what have you

Damn, he found out about "Piltman" and the peppered moths.

Wheher you bray constantly that you aren't religious means nothing. You just think like a Creationist or else youre a follower of Fred Hoyles nonsense.

Peppered moths are an example of environmental selection processes. There was no speciation occurring.

Wjat about paleocetu/pachycetus/Zeuglodon or eustenopteron /tiktaalik/ichthyostega, or threapsids to mammals etc etc. You've gotta be able to deny things at a much higher level of convincing debate than youre providing us.
Im afraid that youre just a luddite gasbag whose failed biology (nd from your pots in other areas, physics and English)

meanwhile, lets all keep a lookout for PILTMAN
farmerman

Sat 24 May, 2014 10:42 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Quote:
So, people like you, see 'evidence' because they want to see 'evidence'
Isee evidence where it exists by coalescing disciplines (geology and paleontology conspire together with genetics and biochemistry to come up with repeatable data supporting evolution)

You deny evidence because of some personal beliefs that you have as some creed of defiant ignorance. It not my problem because you probably don't have a job where science is involved. I can see you saying
"you want chips with that?"
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Sat 24 May, 2014 10:48 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Farmerman is the only one on this thread who consistently gives evidence for his position. Q and spendi have yet to produce one iota of substance.

You seem to be very confused Wink

Quote:
consistently gives evidence for his position

where, where, where? Show us! enlighten us!

Quote:
Q and spendi have yet to produce one iota of substance.

one iota of substance?? You are really confused!
I say that there is NO EVIDENCE.
Now, How the hell can I deliver "one iotaa of substance' where there is none.

Please read again.

The ONLY thing I ask is some, just some, evidence for macro evolution.
There was none, there is none and there will be none.

What is so difficult about that besides your religion and cult programming.Wink

It really is all just a fat big Hoax, like the rest of th religion called 'science'

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 24 May, 2014 10:53 am
Quote:
Izzy asked me: Your mum and dad got married in a back alley?

No mate they were having carnal relations in a back alley before they were married, then when my mother later found she was preggers they had a shotgun wedding.
I think my dad wanted to have me aborted but my mam said no..Smile
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

But I DO understand farmershitman and others:

Quote:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

We are just at the first stage Wink

0 Replies

spendius

@farmerman,
Quote:
Fred Hoyles nonsense.

Are you referring to Sir Fred Hoyle FRS the distinguished Professor of Astronomy at Cambridge University?

Quote:
Peppered moths are an example of environmental selection processes. There was no speciation occurring.

But what about those fish you made play of?
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Sat 24 May, 2014 10:57 am
peppered moth was one big hoax!

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/photo_database/image/the_peppered_moth

Quote:
The Peppered Moth

At the beginning of the nineteenth century, most moths in the UK were an off-white color, highly adapted to hiding from predators, such as birds, by resting on pale, mottled grey tree trunks. But the Industrial Revolution polluted the environment, raining soot down on the countryside. As a result, white moths became highly visible on the now blackened tree trunks. Black moths, on the other hand, such as the peppered moth (which had previously been quite rare), suddenly had a competitive advantage. They were well camouflaged on black tree trunks, and their numbers grew exponentially. By the early twentieth century, they were the dominant moth form in polluted areas of the UK.

The above story is considered the classic example of "evolution in action." It shows how an environmental change can give one form of a species a selective advantage, leading to its dominance. Its validity rests upon experiments conducted by researcher H.B.D. Kettlewell during the 1950s, which demonstrated that white moths do have an advantage over dark moths on pale trees, and a disadvantage on dark trees, and vice versa.

But what made the story of the peppered moth particularly popular was the visual evidence. In 1955 Kettlewell published a pair of photos showing the relative camouflage of the black and white moth forms in the two settings. In the top photo it is easy to see the black moth on the pale, lichen-covered bark and to imagine how a bird could pick it off, but the white moth is almost invisible. In the bottom photo, by contrast, the black moth is almost invisible while resting on a soot-blackened tree.

Since the mid-1960s most Biology textbooks have included the story of the peppered moth, accompanied by Kettlewell's two photos (or ones very similar to them). The ubiquity of the images made it that much more shocking when the public learned the photos were staged. Finding black and white moths posed beside each other in a natural setting would have been almost impossible, so to create the photos Kettlewell pinned dead moths to tree trunks. Moth experts knew the photos were staged because live moths would not have had extended wings. But no textbook ever disclosed this detail to readers.

The staging of the photos was first raised as an issue by intelligent-design advocate Jonathan Wells in his 2000 work Icons of Evolution. But the controversy reached a more mainstream audience in 2002 when science writer Judith Hopper discussed it in her popular account of the science of the peppered moth, Of Moths and Men.

The staging was an issue, critics argued, because it over-simplified the peppered moth story and made it seem that the camouflage of the moths was a self-evident advantage. However, it wasn't clear that moths rested on tree trunks during the day, as the pictures implied. Some evidence suggested they preferred to remain higher in the tree canopy and beneath branches where their coloration would have been less of an advantage. Also, it wasn't clear that birds were the main predator of moths. Bats also ate moths, and since bats use echolocation to navigate, the coloration of the moths would not have made a difference. Critics also questioned the methodology of Kettlewell's experiments.

Scientists still vigorously defend the peppered moth story as an example of evolution in action. They also defend the use of the staged photos in textbooks, arguing that, although they're not entirely accurate, they offer an invaluable way of presenting the concept of natural selection to students in an easy-to-comprehend form.

]Nevertheless, the pair of images has become one of the most famous and controversial examples of staged photographs in all of science.
Romeo Fabulini

Sat 24 May, 2014 11:14 am
I honestly think Dawkins has lost his marbles!
Here are his detailed scientific "explanations" of how eyes and flight "evolved".
(underlinings mine)-

"Any old lump of halfway transparent jelly need only assume a curved [lens] shape" (Climbing Mount Improbable, page 146)

"My guess is that both bats and birds evolved flight by gliding downwards from the trees.. Here’s one guess as to how flying got started in birds.. Perhaps birds began by leaping off the ground while bats began gliding out of trees. Or perhaps birds too began by gliding out of trees" (Climbing Mt Improbable, pp. 113–4)
Quehoniaomath

Sat 24 May, 2014 11:27 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
I honestly think Dawkins has lost his marbles!
Here are his detailed scientific "explanations" of how eyes and flight "evolved".
(underlinings mine)-

Dawkins is extremely dishonest!

Look and listen to this:

Video: Rupert Sheldrake - Richard Dawkins comes to call
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtPuKSwP1mo

And there is much more dishonesty from him!

Furthermore, he doessn't understand statistics AT ALL!

hence all the guesses Wink
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 24 May, 2014 11:30 am
Quote:
Quehon said: Dawkins is extremely dishonest!

Yeah, the Bible says all atheists are lying bastards..Smile
"A liar denies Jesus is the Christ" (1 John 2:22/23)

Quehoniaomath

Sat 24 May, 2014 11:34 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
well, that is NOT what I wrote!
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 24 May, 2014 11:48 am
My life experience has been that you can always rely on an atheist to let you down sooner or later.
That's because they don't give a shite about anybody but themselves..Wink
Quehoniaomath

Sat 24 May, 2014 12:25 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
My life experience has been that you can always rely on an atheist to let you down sooner or later.
That's because they don't give a shite about anybody but themselves

Ok, well, to be fair, Christians can do that as well, as they have!

e.q. How about the priests being pedophiles, haven't they let the children down?

Offcourse they have!
0 Replies