Why do people deny evolution?

farmerman

Fri 1 May, 2020 04:04 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
The final nail in Evolution's coffin was when the structure and language of DNA was understood at least enough to see the obvious implications.
good thing your not involved in investigating covid-19. Are you seeing gungasnake socially??
farmerman

Fri 1 May, 2020 04:09 pm
@farmerman,
Heres a non scientific piece by David Quammen
0 Replies

livinglava

Fri 1 May, 2020 07:53 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
The only thing he got wrong was that he never could venture a guess as to why traits were "preserved"

Isn't that implicit in the principle of surviving to reproduce if you're not selected to die before you get a chance?
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 1 May, 2020 07:59 pm
What idiocy--evolution doesn't "select" any individual to die. Individuals who are weak or stupid may get culled, but natural selection is a process whereby those whose traits make them most fit to survive and to reproduce will leave their genetic code in the genome of successful species.
livinglava

Fri 1 May, 2020 08:09 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

What idiocy--evolution doesn't "select" any individual to die. Individuals who are weak or stupid may get culled, but natural selection is a process whereby those whose traits make them most fit to survive and to reproduce will leave their genetic code in the genome of successful species.

Yes, and those who die prior to reproducing are selected out of the gene pool.

Selection is a two-sided coin: those selected to survive/reproduce and those selected not to.
Setanta

Fri 1 May, 2020 08:11 pm
@livinglava,
Utter stupidity, displaying a complete lack of understanding of natural selection. I expect no less from you. Natural selection concerns species, not individuals. Natural selection is a product of conditions at the time a species rises or declines.
livinglava

Fri 1 May, 2020 08:13 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Utter stupidity, displaying a complete lack of understanding of natural selection. I expect no less from you. Natural selection concerns species, not individuals. Natural selection is a product of conditions at the time a species rises or declines.

Ok, then explain how species can adapt to conditions without successful individuals surviving to reproduce while others die prior to transmitting their genes to future generations.
Setanta

Fri 1 May, 2020 08:56 pm
@livinglava,
I don't take orders from other members here, especially the likes of you. That you don't understand the concept of natural selection is a matter of indifference to me.
livinglava

Fri 1 May, 2020 10:49 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I don't take orders from other members here, especially the likes of you. That you don't understand the concept of natural selection is a matter of indifference to me.
Ok, then can you explain how species can adapt to conditions without successful individuals surviving to reproduce while others die prior to transmitting their genes to future generations?
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 1 May, 2020 11:12 pm
Once again, you display your ignorance of natural selection and how it functions. I am not obliged to educate you.
Jasper10

Sat 2 May, 2020 01:28 am
@Setanta,
Well I need a pair of new jeans and Blumin Eck......they’re expensive...Hands up for blamin evolution for not doin it’s job...I want me fur back!!!!
Leadfoot

Sat 2 May, 2020 05:56 am
As I said,
Quote:
when the structure and language of DNA was understood at least enough to see the obvious implications.

Obviously, there are many who do not.
farmerman

Sat 2 May, 2020 06:01 am
@Leadfoot,
obviously you must count yourself in there too. HOW does the DNA?RNA knowledge invalidate evolution? (This oughta be good) .
Leadfoot

Sat 2 May, 2020 06:05 am
@farmerman,
Promise not to start flinging ****?
livinglava

Sat 2 May, 2020 07:22 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Once again, you display your ignorance of natural selection and how it functions. I am not obliged to educate you.

I just think you're wrong and you haven't broken the theory down to the empirical level enough to see the connection between adaptation/evolution at the species level and what happens at the level of individual organisms and their parts.

Every whole/collective is made up of smaller parts/individuals. You can't have species without individuals surviving, reproducing, and dying.

Whatever species-level accounts of evolutionary theory you've studied must have somehow obscured the breakdown at the level of individual organisms.

You can pretend like you're in the know and I'm the one that needs education, and that might reinforce your sense of comfort in your imagined superiority to me, but I think you're wasting a chance to think evolutionary through a little farther than you have so far.
Leadfoot

Sat 2 May, 2020 07:28 am
@Jasper10,
Quote:
Well I need a pair of new jeans and Blumin Eck......they’re expensive...Hands up for blamin evolution for not doin it’s job.

Yeah, it’s almost as bad as ' Hey! Eyes would be a great advantage for me. Evolution, give me eyes to see!'.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 2 May, 2020 07:35 am
@livinglava,
You're babbling again, a common failing of yours. If you're so goddamned brilliant about this ****, then get a job in evolutionary biology, instead of flinging word salad around on the internet.
livinglava

Sat 2 May, 2020 07:39 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You're babbling again, a common failing of yours. If you're so goddamned brilliant about this ****, then get a job in evolutionary biology, instead of flinging word salad around on the internet.

Does it feel in any way honest when you use the term, "word salad," to describe something I posted that you just read? Or do you just say it to be insulting? I.e. do you try to read what I wrote and fail, or do you just not really try because you have so much hate for me?

And as for getting a job in evolutionary biology, what is the point of that when I can't even communicate with someone like you on a basic level about evolution in a public forum like this?

If the public aren't willing to communicate sensibly about a topic, why invest in studying it?
farmerman

Sat 2 May, 2020 07:44 am
@Leadfoot,
as long as you do the same. I promise Ill even pose a mitochondria tale of subsumption.
Setanta

Sat 2 May, 2020 07:48 am
@livinglava,
You display ZERO understanding of the evolutionary process, especially it's complexity and depth. You just throw out phrases which probably sound erudite to you, but which do nothing to establish your understanding of natural selection. You can't communicate because you have nothing to say. Do you find that insulting? Good, that's just gravy.