Why do people deny evolution?

spendius

Mon 5 May, 2014 04:54 pm
@Olivier5,
See my profile which was posted before my first post on A2K and which was my first post on the internet.
spendius

Mon 5 May, 2014 05:03 pm
@Olivier5,
Incidentally, the first reply I got was taking the piss out of me but, being innocent of internet ways at the time, it took me a little while to realise that piss takers were mortified when the piss was taken out them. They could dish it up okay on the egotistical assumption that they had a monopoly of being any good at piss taking.

As you might have noticed I have been as gentle with them as I possibly could be given the limitations of my endless patience. (That's an infinity joke.)
spendius

Mon 5 May, 2014 05:15 pm
@spendius,
Norman Mailer warned about people who offer to do you a good turn. And the evolutionists are insistent on doing us a good turn.

Fortunately, the averagely intelligent person can see them coming from a long way off: probably as a result of experience. It's a pity our legislators are not so gifted.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 5 May, 2014 05:37 pm
@spendius,
I remember seeing that line of yours when I first came in. Made me laugh. But in the end that's what we are. Uncomfortable as it may be.
Quehoniaomath

Mon 5 May, 2014 08:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
you seem to be relly sure about this 'purity' of rhis religion.
Quehoniaomath

Mon 5 May, 2014 08:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I forgot " Because they are kooks. "

forgetting is the essence of this religion called evolution Wink
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Mon 5 May, 2014 08:35 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
That's only your rationalisation of it. In truth, you're afraid to be an animal.

lol, that's a good one!

afraid to be an animal?

How funny!

and all thse things that are being said, without having done any research!

wow, if that isn't dumb, stupid and irrational, I don't know what is.
raprap

Mon 5 May, 2014 09:05 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Quehoniaomath wrote:
lol, that's a good one!

afraid to be an animal?

How funny!

and all these(sp) things that are being said, without having done any research!

wow, if that isn't dumb, stupid and irrational, I don't know what is.

From this display of rhetorical skills, Quehoniaomath, you wouldn't have made much of an animal.

Rap
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 5 May, 2014 09:26 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Oh I've done my homework, believe me. We are built much like any other mammal, in terms of skeleton structure. We behave like them in many ways, we can teach apes some rudiment of language... wake up already.
spendius

Tue 6 May, 2014 03:49 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Uncomfortable as it may be.

I'm not in the least uncomfortable about it Olivier.
izzythepush

Tue 6 May, 2014 04:02 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
We behave like them in many ways, we can teach apes some rudiment of language... wake up already.

Oh yes.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 6 May, 2014 06:14 am
@spendius,
Quote:
I'm not in the least uncomfortable about it Olivier.

I am. And then at the same time it's comforting to know we're just like the next octopus, rat or bee.
spendius

Tue 6 May, 2014 06:17 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
I am.

You're doing too much thinking Olivier. I have heard that football hooliganism is a good cure. Or joining UKIP.
parados

Tue 6 May, 2014 07:14 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Quehoniaomath wrote:

well, it IS something more and has to do with power.

Evolution is being used, like all the rest, for manpulating society,

So let's talk about how Spetner is trying to manipulate facts. For instance in chapter 4 he uses the horse as an example. He uses information from 1951 as his basis for the horse's possible evolution path. 1951 was before DNA had been discovered and before any horses had DNA sequenced.

Meanwhile we have this from 2013
http://www.nature.com/news/first-horses-arose-4-million-years-ago-1.13261
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 6 May, 2014 07:21 am
@spendius,
If we take Aristotle's entelechy to be the fulfillment of all possible capabilities in a biological system, for example homeopathic remedies being believed to encourage fulfillment in human beings, then how do the evolutionists come to believe that Christian piety does not have such an effect on large numbers of people. In what way do they think that evolutionism is the only route to achieve fulfillment for everyone? And why do they seek to undermine those for whom Christian piety provides fulfillment. As Dawkins goes around doing.

Don't they have a duty to provide fulfillment for any converts they make? They are ignoring Kant's Categorical Imperative if they don't. And how are they going to provide fulfillment when the field is already over-stuffed with evolutionists and the best positions have been taken.

One only need look at a Church gig and an evolutionist gig to see what is absent in the latter. Compare the two hitching ceremonies the Prince of Wales has submitted to. It's no contest. Peer-reviewed by the international viewers rather than an in-house committee pissing in the same pot and refusing to take any questions they are not familiar with.

Nobody is stopping evolutionists achieving fulfillment by concentrating on evolution to their heart's content. If they go too far they will stop themselves. They will find that seeking comfort is not a weakness as they often blurt out that it is.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Tue 6 May, 2014 07:41 am
@JimmyJ,
Quote:
Why do people deny evolution?

Mainly because it's a bunch of pseudoscientific bullshit.
Olivier5

Tue 6 May, 2014 08:52 am
@spendius,
Pétanque seems more relaxing than hooliganism to me... or bicycle riding. :-)
0 Replies

raprap

Tue 6 May, 2014 09:46 am
@gungasnake,
And Ganja is an expert on bullshit as he's full of it.

Rap
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 6 May, 2014 11:36 am
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/10269399_630197253733663_2322769422569315549_n.jpg
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 6 May, 2014 03:02 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
While for some their faith in evolution may amount to a religion, but I believe this is a minority position among anyone that can actually think and has considered the issue beyond " Religious nuts don't believe in evolution and so I must ."

I am really sure that evolution is an operating principle in the universe. It's certainly not a matter of purity, simply an honest consideration of the evidence.

I don't have a problem with evolution and God co-existing, but then my concept of God is probably very different than yours.

In any case believe what you will, but arguments that evolution is nonsense are, frankly, nonsense.