Why do people deny evolution?

rosborne979

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 08:14 am
@Setanta,
Most people don't realize how much variation already exists in the gene pool of any population. New mutations are not required, only expression of previous small mutations which were hanging around unfocused (until some environmental challenge results in their expression).
OldGrumpy

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 08:19 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Most people don't realize how much variation already exists in the gene pool of any population. New mutations are not required, only expression of previous small mutations which were hanging around unfocused (until some environmental challenge results in their expression).

if you use evolution, anything goes it seems.

what a farce.
MontereyJack

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 01:01 pm
@OldGrumpy,
YeAh. That.s the beauty of it. That is why you get mosquitos, t. Rex., penguins and us.
OldGrumpy

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 01:22 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
YeAh. That.s the beauty of it. That is why you get mosquitos, t. Rex., penguins and us.

How can there beauty in a blatant LIE?
MontereyJack

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 01:36 pm
@OldGrumpy,
When its actually true.
farmerman

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 03:53 pm
@MontereyJack,
new article appeared this week about the pre Cambrain fossil Dickinsonia a large organism that dwelt in the Ediacaran seas from about 560 million years (maybe older but these were found in equivalent aged formations. Based on the lipids and other organic molecules which are the biomarkers of animal life. This critter was possibly the earliest arthropoda. appearances of which are now being sought all over the pre Ediacaran stratigraphic sequences.
Setanta

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 05:16 pm
@rosborne979,
That's something the god squad does not want to consider. Truly, BJ does not get natural selection and how it dominates the lives and the deaths of species.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 05:29 pm
@farmerman,
Superficially, at least, it does resemble a trilobite.

https://ssl.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000MZAyUju8Py0/s/750/750/TMP0027.jpg

A fossilised lifeform that existed 558m years ago has been identified as the oldest known animal, according to new research.

The findings confirm that animals existed at least 20m years before the so-called Cambrian explosion of animal life, which took place about 540m years ago and saw the emergence of modern-looking animals such as snails, bivalves and arthropods.

The new fossils, of the genus Dickinsonia, are the remains of an oval-shaped lifeform and part of an ancient and enigmatic group of organisms called Ediacarans. These creatures are some of the earliest complex organisms on Earth, but their place within the evolutionary tree has long puzzled scientists. Suggestions as to what they were have ranged from lichens to failed evolutionary experiments to bacterial colonies.

Now, by identifying the remains of organic matter on newly discovered Ediacaran fossils as ancient cholesterol, the scientists have been able to confirm Dickinsonia was an animal, which makes it the oldest known animal.

“It is the exact type and composition of that fat that was the giveaway that Dickinsonia was in fact an animal,” said Jochen Brocks of the Australian National University, one of the authors on the study. He added that the study solves “a decades-old mystery that has been the holy grail of palaeontology”.

The cliffs in which the fossils were found, on the coast of the White Sea in Russia.

The cliffs in which the fossils were found, on the coast of the White Sea in Russia. Photograph: Ilya Bobrovskiy
The fossils were discovered on two surfaces on a cliffside in the remote wilderness of north-west Russia by PhD student Ilya Bobrovskiy, who is lead author on the paper, published in the journal Science.

“I took a helicopter to reach this very remote part of the world – home to bears and mosquitoes – where I could find Dickinsonia fossils with organic matter still intact,” Bobrovskiy said.

“These fossils were located in the middle of cliffs of the White Sea that are 60-100m high. I had to hang over the edge of a cliff on ropes and dig out huge blocks of sandstone, throw them down, wash the sandstone and repeat this process until I found the fossils I was after.”

Charlotte Kenchington, a palaeobiologist based at the University of Cambridge, said: “It’s really, really unusual to have preservation of organic matter in the Ediacaran. The really neat thing about this study is that they’ve analysed both the sediment around the fossil and the fossil itself.

“The biomarker signal of the sediment is very different to the biomarker signal of the organic matter associated with the fossil. This gives you a huge deal of confidence in the results.”

Emily Mitchell, also of the University of Cambridge, who works on Ediacaran animals preserved in the UK and Newfoundland, described the find as “incredibly exciting” but said there is still a huge amount that we don’t know about the Ediacarans.

She said: “Now we know that animal life started before the Cambrian, in the Ediacaran. That’s very clear now in a way that it wasn’t 15 years ago. But they still look very different to modern animals. The transition between Dickinsonia to even the animals you find in the Cambrian is still quite a large one – we’re still not clear how that happened, for example.”

This is not the first study to suggest some Ediacaran creatures were animals. Recent studies have shown that rangeomorphs, a bizarre group of branched organisms, were also animal-like. “It’s quite exciting to see multiple, different lines of evidence all suggesting that various Ediacaran species were animals,” said Mitchell.

Ultimately, Brocks said, understanding “what these strange-looking Ediacaran creatures really were ... is essential if we want to understand the emergence and evolution of our own earliest ancestors.”
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 12 Dec, 2018 07:55 pm
@farmerman,
the thing thats important to my profession is that paleontologists will be serching for biochemical markers. i know of one specimen of dickinsonia in the Ediacara beds in whch the fossil was in the "tails" position. I think Ive got a pic of it somewhere.
OldGrumpy

Thu 13 Dec, 2018 12:12 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
When its actually true.

What is?
0 Replies

OldGrumpy

Thu 13 Dec, 2018 12:14 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
the thing thats important to my profession is that paleontologists will be serching for biochemical markers. i know of one specimen of dickinsonia in the Ediacara beds in whch the fossil was in the "tails" position. I think Ive got a pic of it somewhere.

well, well, well, how telling

https://pics.me.me/it-is-difficult-to-get-a-man-to-understand-something-21173368.png

So, now we know why farmerfluidgender can't understand why there is NO (macro) evolution!

MontereyJack

Thu 13 Dec, 2018 01:24 am
@OldGrumpy,
Well you kinda got that one bassackwards. Farmer wasn't paid to promote evolution. He used his knowledge of evolution to determine where likely sites to drill were. It's simple--no oil, no money, and by all accounts he did very well at it--got a lotta hot expensive cars you'd never afford. Which is why he ridicules your claim there
s no evidence.
OldGrumpy

Thu 13 Dec, 2018 03:21 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Well you kinda got that one bassackwards. Farmer wasn't paid to promote evolution. He used his knowledge of evolution to determine where likely sites to drill were. It's simple--no oil, no money, and by all accounts he did very well at it--got a lotta hot expensive cars you'd never afford. Which is why he ridicules your claim there
s no evidence.

well, it is simple, you don't want to see it either. And that is your right of course.
My right is to reject this nonsense called (macro) evolution.
The E has no C!
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 13 Dec, 2018 04:12 am
@MontereyJack,
Holy ****, Now Im a shill for the dark side. well weve got good cookies.

Its a fact that paleontology was most responsible for determining the locations an depths of the Devonian gas fields that have , in the last 20 yers, turned the US from an importer of fossil fuels, to the worlds largest producer of gas, crude, and foundation for plastics. ALL from the same pad. Remember "peak oil"?? That was the engineers talking like they knew something about the play. (I like engineers, they are sometimes useful as long as they keep their mouths shut around reporters)

izzythepush

Thu 13 Dec, 2018 04:28 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Its a fact that paleontology was most responsible for determining the locations an depths of the Devonian gas fields that have ,

I've been to Devon. No gas fields there, unless you're talking about all the moo cows farting.

Seriously, I don't know why you bother. It's clear to anyone with only a basic education that you know what you're talking about while Grumpy is an attention seeking idiot.

That wouldn't be a problem if he was remotely amusing, but he's not, he's very very dull.
farmerman

Thu 13 Dec, 2018 04:36 am
@izzythepush,
awwww, IZZY stop bein an ol fart and enjoy yourself. Quahog is, suffereing from an anal /cranial inversion and he makes the most of it.
He doesnt "believe in" much of modern physics, he denies 9/11, and he says that genetics is bogus science. I also think he disbelieves that weve landed on the moon with guys in suits , but Im not certain about that one.

farmerman

Thu 13 Dec, 2018 04:42 am
@izzythepush,
oH YEH, when the rocks of the (what became known as the Devonian period), were first studied and became the "Type section", it was in the cliffs at LYME REGIS.
Well, nobody wanted to call this time sequence the "Lymian" ya know? so they took the whole county name (I guess it was then called Devonshire ) so they shortened it.
izzythepush

Thu 13 Dec, 2018 07:37 am
@farmerman,
Lyme Regis is in Dorset.
izzythepush

Thu 13 Dec, 2018 07:38 am
@farmerman,
Your definition of enjoyment is very different from mine.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 13 Dec, 2018 08:10 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:

You raise an important point that I've tried to make before. If some evidence came up that did in fact fully convince me that evolution happened in the way you believe it did (the now accepted Neo Darwinian model), I would still be convinced that an intelligence had to be involved for a mechanism of such subtle abilities to pop into existence. It either had to be front loaded with the necessary information and flexible architecture (as suggested in your post) or some other mechanism beyond what we have discovered.

In any case, not something that can happen in any kind of soup with nothing but the currently understood laws of physics to help.
0 Replies