Why do people deny evolution?

Setanta

Fri 28 Sep, 2018 02:00 pm
@Olivier5,
Naw, I'm not addicted to arguing, as you appear to be. Some good unintentional humor, though, as in that tortured passage in which you pretend not to be a native speaker.
Olivier5

Fri 28 Sep, 2018 02:27 pm
@Setanta,
I take that as a compliment.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 28 Sep, 2018 02:31 pm
I don't care how you take it--it's still bullsh*t.
OldGrumpy

Fri 28 Sep, 2018 02:48 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
That would be consistent with what Jesus said about 'not coming to bring peace, but a sword.' So there is some merit to the idea. But I think he was referring to the clash of ideas rather than physical violence.

Well, that wasn't what he said! He never explained it that way.
It really sounds very violent to me. Why not using other terms
if he ment something else?
Besides, there is no proof '' he' ever existed. 'he' was just a symbol for something else. Even one pope admitted that 'he' never existed. But eh?! It sems there is money in it eh?!
Olivier5

Fri 28 Sep, 2018 02:49 pm
@Setanta,
BS is in the eye of the beholder, in this case. You're being ridiculous. What business of yours is it to second-guess anyone's nationality? And on what basis? The French are too damn thick to learn foreign languages?

That's why I take it as a compliment for the quality of my English. :-)
Setanta

Fri 28 Sep, 2018 03:38 pm
@Olivier5,
It's the quality of the French you've posted here which throws your alleged nationality into question. If you want to preen your vanity, it's no skin off my nose.
Olivier5

Fri 28 Sep, 2018 04:24 pm
@Setanta,
My vanity is indeed excessive, and you do well to flatter it, but my spelling is bad, even in French.

You never mispell an English word, do you?
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 28 Sep, 2018 04:55 pm
Even when I misspell words in English, it is recognizably English, unlike your attempts at French here. Your vanity is a matter if indifference to me; you would do well not to tell me what I would do well to do.

But of course, you're just getting your argument fix--n'est-ce pas?.
Leadfoot

Fri 28 Sep, 2018 05:29 pm
@Olivier5,
We’re on the same page there anyway.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 28 Sep, 2018 05:40 pm
@OldGrumpy,
Quote:
Leadfoot Quote:
That would be consistent with what Jesus said about 'not coming to bring peace, but a sword.' So there is some merit to the idea. But I think he was referring to the clash of ideas rather than physical violence.

OG replied:
Well, that wasn't what he said! He never explained it that way.
It really sounds very violent to me. Why not using other terms

If you going to correct me on what he meant, shouldn’t you offer the correction? He sometimes explained his metaphors but this isn’t one of them. He left that to us to figure out. Sometime we appreciate things when we work for it.

There are a LOT of historians who do not question that Jesus existed. At least 10 of his followers were willing to die being tortured rather than renounce their belief in him.

And I’m supposed to take the word of some random internet poster that he never existed.
OldGrumpy

Fri 28 Sep, 2018 11:30 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
If you going to correct me on what he meant, shouldn’t you offer the correction? He sometimes explained his metaphors but this isn’t one of them. He left that to us to figure out. Sometime we appreciate things when we work for it.

Well, then he can get away with anything.It's cheap.

Quote:
There are a LOT of historians who do not question that Jesus existed.

Of course I know that. However, if 10 zillion people would say it, I still

wouldn't believe it.

It is not how many people believe it.It is about 'evidence' there is not.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bWlHHrP-a1s/T92FvIwyooI/AAAAAAAACTQ/Gbrcxkst-qc/s1600/CYSIu.png

Quote:
At least 10 of his followers were willing to die being tortured rather than renounce their belief in him.

Yeah, it says that in the bible, right? so there were at least 10 lunatics, or it was a lie, I think the latter.

Quote:
And I’m supposed to take the word of some random internet poster that he never existed.

Of course not, but don't forget I also once believed in a 'jesus'. that really existed.

However I found he was just a symbol in a story.

and about 16 'people': , born of a virgin, raising from the dead, betrayed, stapped etc, you get the picture, but hundred years

before 'jesus'. So the whole story in the bible was stolen! Yes, ALL the stories in that bilble are stolen from earlier 'pagan' religions.

It is nothing more then a recycled pagan religion. But the church didn't tell you that, right?

And then there is the 'church' who has killed millions of people who didn't believe in the 'faith", Nice eh?!

You see that 'church' is evil to its core! and now those rape issues our coming out witch proves my point!

It's pure evil!

You see, religion is nothing more then a tool to control people.

We seem now to digress, BUT when '' religion' didn't work that well anymore

at controlling people, another tool was invented.....science!......including the

extremely, extremely wrong and extremely stupid theory of ...evolution.

Even one pope even admitted, that jesus never existed, and it all a lie!

https://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-what-profit-has-not-that-fable-of-christ-brought-us-pope-leo-x-113-67-81.jpg

Olivier5

Sat 29 Sep, 2018 02:02 am
@Setanta,
I guess you're just unable to recognise good colloquial French... What makes you think you are qualified to assess my French? You even struggle to express yourself in English, alledgedly your native language...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sat 29 Sep, 2018 02:25 am
The real Bart Ehrman on the historicity of Jesus:

izzythepush

Sat 29 Sep, 2018 03:09 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

There are a LOT of historians who do not question that Jesus existed. At least 10 of his followers were willing to die being tortured rather than renounce their belief in him.

And there's lots who don't. It's not proven either way, and the gospels are hardly an unbiased source.

As far as Jesus actually existing there's a big question mark.
OldGrumpy

Sat 29 Sep, 2018 04:40 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
As far as Jesus actually existing there's a big question mark.

Well, if one starts really digging into all this it becomes crystal clear there
never was an historical jesus.

Again, EVERYTHING you find in the bible can be found ik much older pagan religions.

I do get some people don't want to 'get' that, because it is so extremely different from their belief system, but it is what it is.

and 'jesus' as portrayed in the strange disturbing irrational and psychopathic book by some called 'the bible' is just a symbol for a natural thing, once you see it, it solves all so called 'mysteries' like born by a virgin.

Oh and another thing, drinking his blood, eating his flesh.
crucifixion on a cross and all those other bloody things?
hmmmm sounds rather satanic to me! so let's call this book 'satanic light"
Because it is! even 'jesus' is called 'lucifer' in this 'book'

Oh and how abou the observatorium from the Vatican?!
What is it called?? ahhhhhhhhhh that's right! LUCIFER!

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-U57StAlnFAU/VS7gPPsMvkI/AAAAAAAAf70/w7tpL8xAqQc/s1600/lucifer%2Bproject_2.jpg

well, that tells me enough about that psychopathic organisation

Olivier5

Sat 29 Sep, 2018 07:27 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
And there's lots who don't. 

That is factually incorrect.
livinglava

Sat 29 Sep, 2018 08:56 am
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:

Most of the atheists I know were brought up Christian, but none of the christians I know were brought up atheist.

I was reborn from atheism when I realized that God meant something about nature and the universe as a whole that resonated with science and that narrow literal interpretations of God as a bearded man on a mountain somewhere were just artistic representations meant to convey a certain spiritual message.

Evolution is another way of describing what the bible says, which is that the wages of sin are death. Sin literally means "missing the mark or target" and that can easily be interpreted to refer to all living things that fail to survive and reproduce die out in their genetic lines. Animals and other lower life forms don't have the conscious ability to steer their actions according to foresight, but you can still say that their deaths are a result of sin in the most fundamental sense and that as long as they properly survive and reproduce and perform their ecosystem-maintenance functions that they have naturally evolved to perform, that they continue to survive and evolve.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 29 Sep, 2018 09:17 am
@Olivier5,
You're talking **** again Oliver.
Olivier5

Sat 29 Sep, 2018 09:31 am
@izzythepush,
There is no western scholar in a relevant field teaching or believing that Jesus did not exist, nor even seriously doubting that he did.
OldGrumpy

Sat 29 Sep, 2018 11:03 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
There is no western scholar in a relevant field teaching or believing that Jesus did not exist, nor even seriously doubting that he did.

oh yes there is!
0 Replies