Why do people deny evolution?

edgarblythe

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 12:01 pm
Sometimes it feels like a looney bin in this thread.
neologist

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 12:14 pm
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:
There is no debate on its validity. I think almost all people know that (though a large majority are unwilling to accept it).
Aye, there be the rub.
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 12:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
I certainly hope you are not speaking from experience, ed.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 12:32 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
... it is very very obvious that most of the people who deny evolution do not understand it even in a rudimentary fashion.

I suspect that's true for those who profess to believe in it.
JimmyJ

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 12:47 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
It's fascinating to me that you choose to ignore almost all counter-arguments to your statements. You then move on to the next absurd statement, which begs the question why you even attempt to debate at all?
JimmyJ

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 12:49 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Evolution is not a "belief". Belief implies faith.
Quote:
Incidentally, the Bible speaks of "mind parasites" called demons, (called "jinn" in Islam), which of course atheists dismiss as nonsense.
They may once have been solid flesh and blood life-forms but have evolved into invisible entities.
Or don't atheists believe in evolution?..

Maybe atheists dismiss that as nonsense because it clearly IS nonsense and there is no evidence suggesting their existence?
0 Replies

JimmyJ

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 12:49 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
None of the ones I have come across believe in evolution. They just say they do as a claim to intellectual superiority.

That doesn't seem true.
0 Replies

JimmyJ

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 12:51 pm
@Ticomaya,
That may be true for some atheists. However, as I've already pointed out, the bulk (meaning more than 99.9%) of all Biologists in the country have already accepted it and moved on (once again, evolution isn't a belief). The way I see it is those that do not understand it are just trusting the capability of our scientists.
rosborne979

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 12:55 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
... it is very very obvious that most of the people who deny evolution do not understand it even in a rudimentary fashion.
I suspect that's true for those who profess to believe in it.

I'm certain that there are always exceptions to the averages within a population. But if we look purely at the history of posts here on A2K and the individuals involved, I would say that we have never observed a Creationist (with a capitol "C") who demonstrated a rudimentary understanding of biological evolution.

In my quote above, I would emphasize the words "most" and "rudimentary" Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 12:56 pm
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:
It's fascinating to me that you choose to ignore almost all counter-arguments to your statements. You then move on to the next absurd statement, which begs the question why you even attempt to debate at all?

He's not attempting to debate.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 01:01 pm
Quote:
Romeo said: mind parasites called demons..
JimmyJ said: Maybe atheists dismiss that as nonsense because it clearly IS nonsense and there is no evidence suggesting their existence?

People hosting a demon can be anybody such as politicians, journalists, TV and film makers, teachers, neighbours, family members, forum debaters etc..Smile
Ripley's alien parasite showed up on x-rays, but invisible demons DON'T show up on x-rays or anything else, but we know somebody's hosting one because we can hear them talking anti-christian **** through their victims mouths..Smile

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/rip-xrayB.jpg
Ticomaya

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 01:46 pm
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:
The way I see it is those that do not understand it are just trusting the capability of our scientists.

You mean they have faith in science?
JimmyJ

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 02:13 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
People hosting a demon can be anybody such as politicians, journalists, TV and film makers, teachers, neighbours, family members, forum debaters etc..
Ripley's alien parasite showed up on x-rays, but invisible demons DON'T show up on x-rays or anything else, but we know somebody's hosting one because we can hear them talking anti-christian **** through their victims mouths.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
You are the best! This is the funniest thing I've heard in a while. Thank you for providing entertainment.

So invisible demons are possessing politicians and people? PLEASE READ THAT I BEG OF YOU! Tell me you don't sound ridiculous. This is fantastic. Keep going please.
JimmyJ

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 02:13 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:

Science doesn't require faith.
Frank Apisa

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 02:16 pm
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:

That may be true for some atheists. However, as I've already pointed out, the bulk (meaning more than 99.9%) of all Biologists in the country have already accepted it and moved on (once again, evolution isn't a belief). The way I see it is those that do not understand it are just trusting the capability of our scientists.

Jimmy, did you know that 87.4% of all statistics cited in debate forums are made up right on the spot?
JimmyJ

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 02:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Jimmy, did you know that 87.4% of all statistics cited in debate forums are made up right on the spot?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_support_for_evolution

Get mad, scrub.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 02:26 pm
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:
Quote:
Science doesn't require faith.

It does however require methodological naturalism as a foundation, and Naturalism itself is a "belief based" philosophy (as are all root philosophies).

You have to choose to believe that the natural world and your perception of it is "real" even though there is no way to demonstrate that "reality" at a philosophical level. All animals including Humans default to a behavior which accepts Naturalism, otherwise we would all stumble around every morning testing the ground to make sure it was still solid. By default all animals defer to their perception and their memory as a reflection of reality. It's only through academic philosophies that people realize that their own perceptions cannot be demonstrated empirically because their own perceptions are involved in the foundation of the test.
JimmyJ

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 02:28 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
It does however require methodological naturalism as a foundation, and Naturalism itself is a "belief based" philosophy (as are all root philosophies).

The natural world is all we have to go on since we've never known anything else.
rosborne979

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 02:34 pm
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:
The natural world is all we have to go on since we've never known anything else.

Agreed, which is why it's the default. But you know intellectually that it could be a delusion. So you make a choice, which is subjective; a belief.

I'm just pointing that out for academic understanding. I'm not recommending that we switch to the other model of "delusion is probable".
spendius

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 02:43 pm
@JimmyJ,
You need to be possessed by a demon to become a politician. Or, at least, act as if you are. Normal human beings can't get on the first rung of the ladder. You won't get anywhere in politics without a demon to help you.
0 Replies