Why do people deny evolution?

JimmyJ

Tue 17 Dec, 2013 05:59 pm
@spendius,
Attacking my post without providing a counter-argument.

It appears you don't have a logical bone in your body, spend.
spendius

Tue 17 Dec, 2013 06:08 pm
@JimmyJ,
Quote:
Attacking my post without providing a counter-argument.

I had already provided it. If you wish that think that scientists are not baffled by how our eyes work that's your business.
JimmyJ

Tue 17 Dec, 2013 06:12 pm
@spendius,
baffle (from dictionary): totally bewilder or perplex.

Quote:
I had already provided it. If you wish that think that scientists are not baffled by how our eyes work that's your business.

I already showed why we are not "bewildered" by the human eye. We certainly aren't perplexed by it either. What is so hard for you to understand here? I'm not getting it.
spendius

Tue 17 Dec, 2013 06:23 pm
@JimmyJ,
That's okay Jim. It's perfectly normal.
JimmyJ

Tue 17 Dec, 2013 07:21 pm
@spendius,
I don't understand you at all right now.
0 Replies

parados

Tue 17 Dec, 2013 08:56 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:

There are 120 million tubes of Pringles (rods) in the human eye

Somehow, I don't think Pringles should be used to point to "Intelligent" design.
0 Replies

neologist

Tue 17 Dec, 2013 10:47 pm
@JimmyJ,
So you wish us to provide reasons for disbelief without debating its validity?

Exclamation

Check, please.
Valpower

Tue 17 Dec, 2013 11:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
It has little to do with an aversion to atheism. Christians love atheism as much as those who profit from war love (and need) a good enemy. Christians loathe evolution because it is logical and exposes the faulty thinking of those who wrote the book that is the dogmatic basis for their lazy and inflexible strategy for profiteering and domination--the Bible. They've spent an eternity reinterpreting it to suit their needs, they'll be damned if it's going in for a rewrite.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 17 Dec, 2013 11:20 pm
@JimmyJ,
I'm glad I didn't hurt your feelings.

While I am sure there are quite a few stupid Creationists who don't understand evolutionary theory, there are quite a few stupid people who declare it accepted fact who don't understand it either.

You need to do a little research, there are plenty of real life "scientists" ( who, presumably know basic biology) who believe in what they call Creation Science. I doubt many of them deny dinosuars or believe the earth was created a few thousand years ago in a span of 7 days, but they don't necessarily accept the theory of evolution as fact.

Granted, they are in the minority and I don't agree with most of what they assert, but they are clearly not the ignorant fools you suggest Creationists must be.

Sometimes people are wrong without being stupid, and because you buy into the right argument, doesn't make you brilliant.

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 17 Dec, 2013 11:25 pm
@JimmyJ,
You don't seem to understand that it isn't necessary for me to know a Christian born into a family of atheists to reliably assume they exist in far greater numbers that you can imagine. In fact the religious fanatic child born of atheists is a cliche.

JimmyJ

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 01:38 am
@neologist,
There is no debate on its validity. I think almost all people know that (though a large majority are unwilling to accept it).
JimmyJ

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 01:44 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
While I am sure there are quite a few stupid Creationists who don't understand evolutionary theory, there are quite a few stupid people who declare it accepted fact who don't understand it either.

There's a few people who probably blindly accepted Heliocentrism as well. There were also blind idiots who accepted Geocentrism.

Both are accepting something blindly, but one is still wrong and the other is still right.

Quote:
You need to do a little research, there are plenty of real life "scientists" ( who, presumably know basic biology) who believe in what they call Creation Science. I doubt many of them deny dinosuars or believe the earth was created a few thousand years ago in a span of 7 days, but they don't necessarily accept the theory of evolution as fact.

Are you just making things up, now? Evolution is accepted by almost all scientists and 100% of Biologists. YOU need to do your research here. Not me. If wiki isn't your cup of tea, go to somewhere you trust more. There are more Biologists named "Steve" who accept evolution than there are scientists as a whole who reject it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_support_for_evolution

Quote:
Granted, they are in the minority and I don't agree with most of what they assert, but they are clearly not the ignorant fools you suggest Creationists must be.

Sometimes people are wrong without being stupid, and because you buy into the right argument, doesn't make you brilliant.

I guess less than .1% of all the countries Biologists is JUST a minority...
I guess it depends on your definition of stupid. If someone has a stupid idea and accepts it despite all evidence to the contrary, I consider them to be partially stupid. Perhaps they are intelligent in other aspects, but in Biology, creationists are STUPID.
0 Replies

JimmyJ

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 01:45 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
So you don't know any, then? Me neither.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 10:24 am
Quote:
Romeo said: Senator John McCain sums it up nicely-
"I believe in evolution, but when I hike the Grand Canyon at sunset I see the hand of God there also"
Lordyaswas replied: For god read natural erosion.
JimmyJ chipped in with: There's a perfectly good scientific explanation for why/how the grand canyon formed.

Yeah, we all know that movements of the earths crust and erosion formed the GC, but McCain was also referring to the wild animals, birds, bats, insects and plants that live in the canyon..Smile
http://www.arizona-leisure.com/grand-canyon-animals.html
Romeo Fabulini

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 10:38 am
Quote:
JimmyJ said: Humans have horrible eyesight! In fact, owl eyes are much more complex than humans. Does that mean god favors creatures like owls?

Dunno about you mate but my eyesight is pin sharp, I can spot a pretty lady at the other end of a crowded street dead easy!
As for owl eyes, they need them for night hunting. If I ever sprout wings and develop a taste for small nocturnal rodents, I'd need owl eyes too..Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 10:39 am
@JimmyJ,
Quote:
I think almost all people know that (though a large majority are unwilling to accept it).

They know some other things as well that they are unwilling to accept.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 10:41 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Romeo said: Senator John McCain sums it up nicely-
"I believe in evolution, but when I hike the Grand Canyon at sunset I see the hand of God there also"
Lordyaswas replied: For god read natural erosion.
JimmyJ chipped in with: There's a perfectly good scientific explanation for why/how the grand canyon formed.

Yeah, we all know that movements of the earths crust and erosion formed the GC, but McCain was also referring to the wild animals, birds, bats, insects and plants that live in the canyon..Smile
http://www.arizona-leisure.com/grand-canyon-animals.html

Ah yes....good old evolution. They were probably scurrying and flying over layer upon layer of rock that contains thousands of their distant ancestors that swam, squiggled and burped millions of years before.

How does the song go?.....ah yes....altogether now

All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord singular cell squidgy thing made them all....
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 10:47 am
Incidentally, the Bible speaks of "mind parasites" called demons, (called "jinn" in Islam), which of course atheists dismiss as nonsense.
They may once have been solid flesh and blood life-forms but have evolved into invisible entities.
Or don't atheists believe in evolution?..Smile
spendius

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 11:52 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
None of the ones I have come across believe in evolution. They just say they do as a claim to intellectual superiority.
farmerman

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 11:58 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
AHH yes, the jinn. Fortunately the Jinn are always dressed in long military coats with a black lether belt. SO always remember when you see a jinn in tunic.
0 Replies