Tue 7 Aug, 2018 12:36 pm
@OldGrumpy,
Stop wasting my time
Make a point.
Olivier5

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 01:31 pm
@Leadfoot,
LOL... You're most welcome.

I found your idea that some god would grow ferns on earth for hundreds of millions of years just so that human beings, after millions of years of going about without the use of fossil fuels, would enjoy a mere two-hundred-year period of economic boom during which we **** up the earth, its oceans and its climate before going burst... I find this idea deliciously irrational, and quite a little self-centered.

Not to mention the broader idea that this god of yours (assuming it's the same god as above) would create this humongous universe filled with millions of galaxies, each with millions of star systems, just so that he could then 'terraform the earth' and create life on our tiny tiny planet... How ridiculous is that?

I guess being at the center of the universe and the sole preoccupation of God is far too enjoyable an idea for you to ever give it up.

So... enjoy! :-)
cicerone imposter

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 02:02 pm
@Olivier5,
Gods do not make sense in terms of scale, verifiability, thousands of gods, cultural gods, invisible gods, science, and logic.
Olivier5

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 02:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I think it's possible to envisage a creator of our universe, who would have designed it so that life can emerge, evolve and multiply in it, in all sorts of places and all sorts of ways.

What's hard for me to entertain is that he would have created all this stuff just for us, human beings. Seems like a pretty humongous waste of resources.
cicerone imposter

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 03:00 pm
@Olivier5,
I give nature all the credit for this universe and its inhabitants. Here's a good article from NASA on the origins of life on earth. https://science.nasa.gov/solar-system/big-questions/how-did-life-begin-and-evolve-earth-and-has-it-evolved-elsewhere-solar-system
Leadfoot

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 03:20 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
I found your idea that some god would....

Holy **** man, I’ve been talking about the hypothesis that the universe and life were intelligently designed. If you want to talk about god/God/religion/etc., we can go there if you want, but I was just getting into this.
Leadfoot

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 03:23 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
What's hard for me to entertain is that he would have created all this stuff just for us, human beings. Seems like a pretty humongous waste of resources.

I’m voting for cats!
So what’s your vote for Galactic Top of The Food Chain!

But seriously, what?
Olivier5

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 03:34 pm
@Leadfoot,
The guy is changing his mind all the time. In the cretaceous, it was all about dinosaurs, dinosaurs and more dinosaurs. Nowadays he seems to favour human beings. What will be his next pet project after us, I don't know.

Seriously dude, you really think this universe with its billions of light years dimensions, was created just for you and me???

I guess that's also what ants and rats are thinking, you know?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 03:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I find it funny that your source link promises to answer how life originated on Earth and whether it developed on other planets - and delivers NOTHING!. Here are the two main sentences of the article.
Quote:
Earth’s atmosphere today bears little resemblance to the atmosphere of the early Earth, in which life developed; it has been nearly reconstituted by the bacteria, vegetation, and other life forms that have acted upon it over the eons.

This sentence is true. It is essentially what I said in answer to Oliver's question of why a designer might take eons to delelop the environment. It says nothing about how life developed in the first place.

However, the sentence that follows it is a total lie:
Quote:
Fortunately, the solar system has preserved for us an array of natural laboratories in which we can study life’s raw ingredients — volatiles and organics — as well as their delivery mechanisms and the prebiotic chemical processes that lead to life.

If you can support this one simple sentence, I’ll agree with you. Until that time I consider your opinion as empty as this claim you cited. This is simply an advertisement from NASA to get public support for funding.

Put up or shut up.
0 Replies

bunnyhabit

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 10:09 pm
all religious believers equate evolution with atheism. hence reject as anti religious.
OldGrumpy

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 10:57 pm
@MontereyJack,
Stop wasting my time
Make a point.

I am NOT wasting your time, I just take it step by step!

again

Do you agree that

0 < P(M1) <1 & 0< P(M2) <1 ?

follow so far?
cicerone imposter

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 10:58 pm
@bunnyhabit ,
Nothing wrong with "anti religious." There are thousands of them.
0 Replies

Helloandgoodbye

Wed 8 Aug, 2018 01:29 am
@bunnyhabit ,
I really do not like the term religion.
There is no such thing as a non-religious person.
Every single person on earth has faith in something.
No one knows it all right?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Wed 8 Aug, 2018 04:01 am
@OldGrumpy,
Not playing yiour game. Make a point or STFU
OldGrumpy

Wed 8 Aug, 2018 04:20 am
@MontereyJack,
I am not playing a game ,man.

Do you agree that

follow so far?
Olivier5

Wed 8 Aug, 2018 05:08 am
@OldGrumpy,
Things are a bit faster-paced here than where you come from, evidently. Either you adapt or you die.
OldGrumpy

Wed 8 Aug, 2018 05:10 am
@Olivier5,
Things are a bit faster-paced here than where you come from, evidently. Either you adapt or you die.

trying threatening now? won't help

I do adapt, mate. I make baby steps so people can follow. follow? Wink

Do you agree that

follow so far?

It seems people are very reluctant to answer this very very very simple question.
Olivier5

Wed 8 Aug, 2018 06:34 am
@OldGrumpy,
No.