Thu 2 Aug, 2018 04:07 am
@izzythepush,
good riddance then! who cares?

bye!
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 04:59 am
@izzythepush,
I think its best we work on getting HIM to leave. After all,as you said,its not really any kind of debate when your opponent is an ignorant bastard as he, and especially when hes proud of it. I like when we can afflict the comfortable.
OldGrumpy

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 05:07 am
@farmerman,
wow, you still fwell little angry and silly. how come my man?
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 05:08 am
@OldGrumpy,
Quote:
Let's see now, I am an idiot , creationist, science denier, poor stand up comedian, dishwasher
shiit man, Ive given you a whole plate to work on there, better see if youre capable.

Im probably older than you from the way it sounds, you havent gotten past the Catechetical Classes yet

Quote:
I just point to the enormous faults and bias in 'science'.
No you do not. You only point out crap from Creationit play books. Your comments are overplayed tired, debunked crap that is at least 25 to 80 years out of date. You are like gungs, you quote **** that you have no capability to stay put and argue. I challenged you just this past early AM about Lwontin and Gould's" Spandrel " analogy and its limitations wrt TODAY"S GENETICS (not 25 year old stuff)

Work on that if you consider yourself a "Valid science critic"(You have not the knowledge or xprience to be such an individual as most colleagues in the science are much much better at it)
OldGrumpy

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 05:09 am
@farmerman,
so you still are on the defense?

Hmmmm I wonder why? and why so may ad hominems and not very creative at that.
farmerman

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 05:11 am
@OldGrumpy,
Quote:
Oh btw why all the ad hominems or just venting your agression?
No, hes showing anger at how some people (like you) can be such agressive deniers of simple facts but at the same time buy into conspiracy **** (not to mention religious ****) That has NO EVIDENCE AT ALL.

You must have flunked biology AND history??
farmerman

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 05:13 am
@OldGrumpy,
Quote:
Let's see now, I am an idiot , creationist, science denier, poor stand up comedian, dishwasher
Yeh, rethinking what I said, I have to apologize to dishwashers the world over.
izzythepush

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 05:14 am
@farmerman,
Not to mention English.

Btw, stand up comics, even poor ones tend to be quite smart, way beyond Grumpy's level.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 05:19 am
I don't understand the obsession with science and scientists, from people who don't even care to understand what it's about. It's as if one would say: "Hey, I know nothing about mining (or artificial insemination, or carrot growing...) but I know that it's wrong and that all miners (or inseminators, or carrot growers...) are assholes."

WTF?
izzythepush

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 05:21 am
@farmerman,
Say what you like about BJ and Leadfoot at least they can construct a basic sentence and argue coherently.
farmerman

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 05:30 am
@Olivier5,
scientists are like old rabbis, we love to argue. So whats ever around thqt sounds like one, especially if its our field, we will gladly bring the donuts and coffee. It gets discouraging when conspiracy jerk-offs blend their fantasies with denying science and engineering (or even plain education). Theres anothr forum I mess with here its pretty much all scientists and whenever one of the anti science folks shows up, the operators close em out. I dont think I like that approach either, because we have kids that show up here and some of them are actually students who need to have explanations or at least , sources from which they can derive explanations.(I know because here I get a couple PMs every so often with more personal career style questions)
farmerman

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 05:34 am
@izzythepush,
without a doubt. ometimes BJ just piles on the jargon out of context, but LF keeps his questions and arguments focused and clean. His style actually takes much more work to argue with.
Idont say shat about misspelling cause, as we all know, I sometimes dont even know what I said when I reread a post thats bursting with misspells
Olivier5

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 06:04 am
@farmerman,
But why do some non-scientists care about science so much? It's a bit as if they resented the human ability to observe and reason... Or perhaps it's the (wrong-footed) idea that science has some sort of monopoly on observation and reason that bothers them? Or perhaps it's just like the religious backslash against Darwin at the end of 19th century: they are afraid of scientific ideas because they contradict their own ideas.

I'm really trying to understand the motive for anti-science here, the ax that these anti-science guys want to grind. To me science is primarily a profession or occupation, and it seems stupid to disparage an entire profession, other than jokingly e.g. when people joke about lawyers or politicians.

I know science is also a method, a trial-and-error process not very different from Darwinian evolution itself (Popper), but that can't possibly be what those poor souls object to...
izzythepush

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 06:08 am
@farmerman,
You've got a valid excuse for your misspelling. Grumpy suffers from a lot more than the occasional typo.

It's a pattern some conspiracy nut comes on wild a lot of insane nonsense then insists you explain why they're wrong. Success being measured by their understanding what you're saying which won't happen.

There's a comedy show over here that airs on Friday called The Last Leg. They did a piece on flat earthers, who are currently experiencing a surge in popularity. It doesn't matter what evidence they're given they'll have an answer ready prepared. Any evidence to the contrary is faked.

Their most popular argument is "bendy water." In a nutshell water always reaches a level with a flat surface so how can it bend around corners or spheres. That is viewed as a convincing argument as to why the Earth is flat.

This is how they believe the Earth looks.

https://cdn.disclose.tv/sites/default/files/styles/video_image/public/img/post/2017/11/10/video_youtube_Dr2GdIFbv9Q.jpg?itok=kZ4IVpka
farmerman

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 07:47 am
@Olivier5,
There was that entire generational fight against "modernism" (which I believe grew into much of these deep insults at scientific disciplines).
Remember that Gimme that Ole Time Religion was more of a battle hymn back in th very early 1900's
farmerman

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 07:52 am
@izzythepush,
Im sure Ill be able to find "Last Leg" because many of these TOI shows are carried via Netflix or Amazon . I love no longer being constrained with when I must watch a tv series.
Im gonna rig a Sirius radio for th house so I can listen to old time radio shows via the apps whhere I can actually program when and to whom I wish to listen.

As H$G and OLe Grumpy feel "We aint never gonna have television"
izzythepush

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 08:19 am
@farmerman,
it's a Channel 4 programme fronted by three comics two of whom are disabled. It was originally meant as a one off for the London Paralympics, but it was so popular it's kept going.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 08:25 am
@OldGrumpy,
Quote:
Hmmmm I wonder why? and why so may ad hominems and not very creative at that.

Welcome OLdGrumpy, I see you have gotten the usual reception from the Neo Darwinians.

Yes, the ad hominem is the standard response when you confront them with their own hypocrisy and contradictions. Enjoyed seeing you make them squirm though...
Olivier5

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 08:29 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
There was that entire generational fight against "modernism"

I have also wondered if post-modernism didn't do more harm than good there. However, it's one thing to demystify science, quite another to demonize it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 2 Aug, 2018 08:39 am
@Leadfoot,
What hypocrisy?

All I see is some semi literate God freak demanding people explain stuff that he's not smart enough to understand.

If there's any squirming going on it's because of his atrocious use of English.

You and I may have had our differences, but I don't think you're stupid and I would never call you stupid.

I only call stupid people stupid. (I don't think BJ is stupid either.)