Why do people deny evolution?

Leadfoot

Thu 9 Mar, 2017 10:52 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
That's explained in the post just before your last one.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Thu 9 Mar, 2017 10:58 am
@Leadfoot,
WORLD magazine is published by the World News Group s n explicitly evanngelic christian organization which means they are going to go with rrligion. not science, for book of the yearas they cleallrly did. .4of10 on theeir shortllist Discovery institute books? Come on Lead, get real.
Leadfoot

Thu 9 Mar, 2017 10:59 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
Infact the Bible doesn't even support an all knowing God either.
While we are in this theism interlude -

I completely agree with that. And throw 'omnipotent' into the trash heap as well
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 9 Mar, 2017 11:07 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
And I call it Logic 101.
Leadfoot

Thu 9 Mar, 2017 11:09 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Come on Lead, get real

Your bias is that any association with 'any & all things God' means you are not 'real'.
I get it.
MontereyJack

Thu 9 Mar, 2017 11:27 am
@Leadfoot,
No. Lok at their websites. Lok at their mag blurbs. They view EVERYTHING thru a fundamentist filter which means they have an ideologiccal bias against the science.
MontereyJack

Thu 9 Mar, 2017 11:38 am
@MontereyJack,
For them then to designate something Science zBook F The Year is highly suspect and anyone who accepts it as such is being gulled.
Leadfoot

Thu 9 Mar, 2017 11:39 am
@MontereyJack,
And the beat goes on..
MontereyJack

Thu 9 Mar, 2017 11:41 am
@Leadfoot,
Much like you.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Thu 9 Mar, 2017 12:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

And I call it Logic 101.
Yes it is and still everybody now n then fails on 101 anything...
cicerone imposter

Thu 9 Mar, 2017 01:25 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Religion is a powerful mind controller. That's why so many religions around the world has their faithfuls by the millions.
Fil Albuquerque

Thu 9 Mar, 2017 01:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Religion won't die till we become proper cyborgs. Religion exists for the same reason fairy tales do. It provides a quick simpleminded explanation for a nasty noisy complex to near infinity world...people hate unknowns and uncertainty...the problem of "God" is a bit different....my definition of God is so large and abstract that it doesn't really collide for almost all practical purposes with the vision of an atheist.
cicerone imposter

Thu 9 Mar, 2017 01:53 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Religion will never die. It's in the human DNA.
Leadfoot

Thu 9 Mar, 2017 07:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Religion will never die. It's in the human DNA.

Yep, just another pesky random mutation :-)
Fil Albuquerque

Thu 9 Mar, 2017 07:26 pm
@Leadfoot,
I will throw ya a bone...yes the "random" bit is lack of mathematical proper philosophy...the word random is a freaking messed up concept.

No, no, you still not right...there is no designer just archetypes. Beyond Ontology and Metaphysics, back down to "earthling" speaking, the order by which they unfold in time is consistent with Evolution for a metaphor.

Its exactly the same problem that worked up the debate on whether we have Causation or perfect Correlation...Einstein wouldn't care....
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:44 pm
@Leadfoot,
Heres a POS from some real scientists who think their work should be taken seriously. I have several questions about the thesis but plase read it first.

https://www.quantamagazine.org/20170314-time-dependent-rate-phenomenon-evolution-viruses/?utm_source=Quanta+Magazine&utm_campaign=b8cdb04c00-Quanta_Newsletter_Feb_27_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f0cb61321c-b8cdb04c00-389554929
izzythepush

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 03:43 am
@Leadfoot,
Isn't it supposed to be about faith? Douglas Adams summed it up quite nicely.

Quote:
The Final Proof of the non-Existence of God was proved by a Babel Fish.

Now, it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some have chosen to see it as the final proof of the NON-existence of God. The argument goes something like this:

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves that You exist, and so therefore, by Your own arguments, You don't. QED"

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/God
Leadfoot

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 08:07 am
@farmerman,
Interesting for several reasons. Still thinking about it though.

I'd agree that it is a POS if for no other reason than it does not address the obvious problems it raises, not the least of which is the abandoning of the requirement that mutation rate fall within a narrow range in order to avoid catastrophic DNA damage but still allow for gradual evolution. It's premise seems to require a tolerance to damage orders of magnitude beyond what are considered survivable.

I think it is yet another attempt to salvage macro evolution, the kind of thing they are looking for over at http://www.thethirdwayofevolution.com/

Axe's work is relevant here. (got 'Undeniable' but only read synopsis so far). He shows how intolerant of damage the protein encoding sections are. Only a single error in the vast majority of them causes complete failure to function. Craig Venter's work suggests the same problem too.

What grabbed you about it?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 08:22 am
@izzythepush,
As much as I enjoyed Adams' book, this part missed being funny because of the attempt at 'inversion'.

Quote:
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

The atheist's typical criticism of God is that he is a megalomaniac, not the insecure shrinking violet shown here. If you're going to be a credible critic you have to be consistent. If we're going to make fun of God, at least use his own claims about himself. You know, I am Alpha and Omega, I am everything.

I can't think of any group that Adams' tounge in cheek POV of God applies to. Making fun of a straw man just isn't funny.
izzythepush

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 11:47 am
@Leadfoot,
He still makes a good point about faith. Why are you so upset that scientists can't find God's fingerprint? That's not their job. You don't expect priests to issue papers on black holes and DNA.

I think you're too close to it to find it funny, it made me laugh.

Btw, HHG was originally a Radio 4 comedy series, the book came later.