Why do people deny evolution?

rosborne979

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 08:30 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
It is compelling too, but the seduced never suspect that they are.

Your glib implications not withstanding, many of us are not so easily seduced as you appear to be.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 08:33 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Make sure you have your book vetted , unless its gonna be a Vendramini or von Daniken type of science book.
There have been many books written that attempt to do what I'm attempting. The only reason I think I might have something new to say is that I've tried to stay within the bounds of reason in all areas, unlike von Daniken, et al. The fact that it delves into the theological at times will of course invalidate all of it for many.

There are two versions as of now, one non-fiction and one 'fiction'. The latter will be fiction in the same sense that Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" was. She of course literally meant everything in it. I have changed my mind several times on which to go with.
farmerman

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 06:33 pm
@Leadfoot,
von Daniken also "believes " in what hes written. So, in that respect, you two do have much in common . Youve tried to supplant good solid evidence by baseless denial and by insisting on the validity of your POV by mere conjecture (without any evidence) So that alone is "type- section" von Daniken .
At least he, in an effort to sound like hes being an investigative reporter, always makes it appear that he is asking a question even while he's really making an assertion. Ive alway found that really tricky. One of my fav's who does that with convincing skill is a guy named Stephen King. He always makes his stories rise from some kind of question or conjecture.

Leadfoot

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 07:28 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
One of my fav's who does that with convincing skill is a guy named Stephen King. He always makes his stories rise from some kind of question or conjecture.
I always thought his great accomplishment was translating the chaos of human thought, both mundane every day and under threat, into written word.
farmerman

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 07:32 pm
@Leadfoot,
Sounds like youre reading the dust jacket fromMercedes Man
Leadfoot

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 07:43 pm
@farmerman,
Really? That's one of the few I haven't read. You mean Mr. Mercedes? (I went looking )
farmerman

Tue 26 Apr, 2016 08:28 pm
@Leadfoot,
yeh. Its really a two parter but read em in order.
0 Replies

brianjakub

Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:03 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
How do you convince a creationist that a fossil is a transitional fossil? Give up? It is a trick question. You cannot do it. There is no convincing someone who has his mind made up already.
How do you convince an evolutionary biologist (evolutionist) that a gap in the fossil record is impossible to cross without ID? Answer:

It's a trick question. You don't have to. Evolution by natural selection is the only scientific theory considered a law and is settled.
0 Replies

brianjakub

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 01:11 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I know enough to see that even our best scientists sometimes miss the obvious, so I don't begrudge you your theories on physics. But I also know I don't know enough to finish Einstein's work and come up with his Grand Unification Theory. My best guess is that we will either come to the end of physics and complete the Standard Model but remain perplexed about where it came from, Or, come to a dead end due to our inability to build a LHC large enough to explore the next fundamental particle. It will then be declared 'unknowable' (some are already saying this) but the belief that it's all a result of natural processes will remain intact.
I don't think you believe this, because of your past posts. I think you believe in a designer. All designers imagine an image in there mind before they arrange the parts of what they are building. There is only one way to arrange the particles, antiparticles, force carrying particles, bosons, etc. . . to get the universe we can sense, measure, and sometimes predict. (quite accurately, but not perfectly) The math we need to describe everything might be nearly impossible to do because, we cannot measure perfectly, or compute such a complex fluid system. (It would be like perfectly predicting the weather mathematically.) But, you can imagine the same image as this designer, just like you can imagine the atoms and molecules that construct our atmosphere, that make our weather. It says, "Ask and you shall be answered, seek and it will be given to you." The period at the end of that sentence means, "end of message". Don't add to that sentence:

except when you try to understand the answer to, "why is the fine structure constant what it is, or how does gravity come to be?" then you won't get an answer.

I think you believe that, the designer himself will show you the answer sooner or (without a doubt) later. Or, maybe I misread you.

Anyway, Einstein's work will never be finished in this age. but I agree with this.
Quote:
That Einstein was uncomfortable with quantum theory attracted much attention and there have been many accounts of his reservations, some trying to locate their deeper sources. However these different accounts may vary, there is no doubt of Einstein's principal objection. He believed that the quantum wave function of some system, the ψ-function, was not a complete description of the system. Rather, it provided some sort of statistical summary of the properties of many like systems.
Which makes me wonder why he said this:
Quote:
No man can visualize four dimensions, except mathematically … I think in four dimensions, but only abstractly. The human mind can picture these dimensions no more than it can envisage electricity. Nevertheless, they are no less real than electro-magnetism, the force which controls our universe, within, and by which we have our being
What, were the many "like systems" he was assuming there had to exist; if they were not compacted multi-dimensional universes, interacting with each other?
farmerman

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 03:41 am
@brianjakub,
How many ways can carbon combine with other elements and itself?
0 Replies

spooky24

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 05:19 am
@Leadfoot,
Screw that. Today is Shakespeare day!!

Catherine was only allowed to learn the English words that pertain to various female body parts. Was King Charles a pervert? Did Catherine get friendly with the Duke of Bourbon?

Henry V Act III scene iv
izzythepush

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 05:37 am
@spooky24,
She wasn't only allowed to learn those words. Those are the words she asked about.

And Shakespeare day isn't today it was the 23rd, St George's Day, same as it is every year.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 05:41 am
After Henry died, they put her in a convent, which is what they did with inconvenient dowager queens in those days. But then she ran off with a Tudor. Like father like daughter . . .
0 Replies

parados

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 06:02 am
@brianjakub,
How can a system that is fluid only include one way to arrange particles?

You contradict yourself so many times it seems you think you are looking straight ahead because you are blinking in time with your head spinning.
Leadfoot

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 06:50 am
@brianjakub,
Quote:
I don't think you believe this, because of your past posts. I think you believe in a designer. All designers imagine an image in there mind before they arrange the parts of what they are building.
Nothing I've said precludes that designer. I was only commenting on our inherent limitations in reverse engineering. There has been ignorant chatter about the LHC 'creating conditions present at the Big Bang' but that's BS. Honest physicists know that's bogus and say we may be near the end of our efforts to experimentally explore fundamental particles because they know we can't build a big enough collider to generate the needed energies.

There is always math and in math you can do virtually anything, even use infinity. Doesn't mean you grasp anything. And you are right about our abilities to envision. I can use 11 dimensional arrays in programming but no on can really envision them, let alone experiment with them (claims by others notwithstanding, 'if only you had studied X calculus, etc' you would understand').
rosborne979

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 07:09 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
There is always math and in math you can do virtually anything, even use infinity. Doesn't mean you grasp anything.

There you go Parados, that takes care of all your stupid math arguments. Wink
Leadfoot

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 07:16 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
There you go Parados, that takes care of all your stupid math arguments.
You are ignoring the fact that he has presented no math arguments, only waved the term around like he was brandishing a sword.

There's no fist in his glove.
rosborne979

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 07:32 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Quote:
There you go Parados, that takes care of all your stupid math arguments.
You are ignoring the fact that he has presented no math arguments

Actually I think you may be right about that because I think I was getting Parados confused with Maxdancona. Max has been the one destroying all your arguments with math on the other thread, while Parados has been the one eviscerating your (and Brian's) arguments with logic and physics and biology. My bad.
Leadfoot

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 07:45 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Parados has been the one eviscerating your (and Brian's) arguments with logic and physics and biology.
Hahahahahaha....

More empty shadow boxing. His great skill is throwing insults.

Max has mainly made threatening noises about his great math chops, not shown any.
parados

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 09:06 am
@Leadfoot,
Stating that your quote mining of Tyson and then applying meaning to his statement that he didn't intend isn't throwing insults. It's labeling bull **** as bull ****. I posted a link to Tyson's statement which shows the actual context. Tyson wasn't talking about meeting an alien designer of life in the universe as you claimed.