Why do people deny evolution?

Frank Apisa

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 08:31 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

The good news is the internet will keep people that prefer to argue all the time over silly things from having children. Evolution at work.

Excellent. I love it! Wink
farmerman

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 01:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
got any kids Frank?
Frank Apisa

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 02:03 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

got any kids Frank?

None that I know of.
spendius

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 02:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Phew!!!
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 03:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Message incorrectly addressed
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 03:09 pm
@farmerman,
Some people might deny evolution, fm. because it degrades living forms in a similar manner that an analysis of the components of the Mona Lisa back into the pigment powders and oils it derived from, and displaying them in a glass cabinet for the public to ponder over, would do.

Or providing you with 1,024 + 512 + 256 + . . . . . . .2 visual depictions of DNA components representing the last 10 generations of the family tree on which your fruit, or your nut, presently hangs. 20 generations (circa 1600 AD) would possibly be confusing.

I'm thinking of life here as God's work of art. Perhaps not His only one and perhaps not His finest. da Vinci must have said let there be light and lo, a few brushstrokes, there was light.

A person who has personal reasons for not believing in God is well advised to jump all over evolution theory due to the absurd simplifications it allows them to use, with that requisite degree of fluffing which stays just one syllable ahead of the profanum vulgus, and is easily swotted up, to draw a picture of life which scientifically proves them to have made the only sensible choice and thus justifies them in expressing impatience with the fools, dingbats and fuckwits who have not done.

How's that for a runner-on?
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 03:40 pm
@farmerman,
Do you think it a coincidence, fm, that the Culture which allowed its artists to play with light as they fancied, tentatively at first, is the same one that invented modern science and double-entry book-keeping and was led by the Christian God.

The art of other cultures, from the small amount we have seen of it, did not, in some places pointedly not, allow the play of the fancy its head. The only one to use light at all provided nothing more that a fine blue haze suitable for dreaming one's life away. Henry Miller was into that.

There are plays of light in the Mona Lisa which astound anyone who grasps them. I have managed it twice. I was looking for it mind you because I had read it was there. I've tried many times to see it but having seen it twice I know it is there.

It's a bit like the faces in the tree thing. You identify one and by the time you find the others you can't find the first one again.

And is it a coincidence that the expert on the manipulation of paint into light, Rembrandt, was from North-East Europe where modern science has its roots and where cathedrals were built, instead of domes, which can be seen, have been seen, as light machines.
0 Replies

JimmyJ

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 03:52 pm
@Calamity Dal,
Quote:
I'm selective as to who I learn from. I'd consider it dangerous to listen to you boyo.

Please, by all means find something I said that was false lol.

You won't be able to.
JimmyJ

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 03:54 pm
@izzythepush,
I would cut out her face of course, and I could easily prove that it is me.

I'm not really hiding (though JimmyJ isn't my real name). If you really want to see me you can ask for a link to my fbook in a pm. Otherwise just sit down and quit queefing yourself over my posts.
Calamity Dal

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 04:17 pm
@JimmyJ,
I never said you did. It's your attitude and approach. By all means keep it up, I just don't have an inclination to respect a word you say.
izzythepush

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 04:53 pm
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:

I'm not really hiding (though JimmyJ isn't my real name). If you really want to see me

I never accused you of hiding nor gave the remotest inclination that I would like to see me. You clearly have a problem dealing with more than one person at the same time. Even though Romeo and I are both from England we're not the same person. Maybe you can use some sort of chart with post it notes and ****, so you can remember what it is you're trying to say, and to whom you're trying to say it.
JimmyJ

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 04:54 pm
@Calamity Dal,
Quote:
I never said you did. It's your attitude and approach. By all means keep it up, I just don't have an inclination to respect a word you say.

My only problem was with you equating creationism and evolution as if they are on equal footing in terms of scientific theories. They are not.
JimmyJ

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 04:54 pm
@izzythepush,
My point was that you acted as though showing you pictures or my facebook was some issue for me when in reality it is not.
0 Replies

neologist

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 05:15 pm
Time to move this thread to the humor forum
farmerman

Sat 25 Jan, 2014 06:23 pm
@JimmyJ,
An interesting point is that, when youre a teacher or a physician in the future, you will be called on to take part in debates or discussions of the "aspects of the culture wars". What appears cut and dry proven science to some of us here, will not only be denied by others, those same people will look at us like we hve three heads.
Ive gotten to the point now that all I wish to do is to remind people how fast we are losing our place in the sciences to countries like Uzbekhitan, and countries like China where they look at us ALL as if we had three heads. They cannot believe that we would give time to the debate (they se it as disruptive to the harmony of science). Ive had visiting teachers come and sk several of us (Im talking maybe 20 years ago) "How does your science work that you hve seemingly two classes of intelligent people who live with opposing worldviews"

I cannot answer that except to say that "Aint it neat that we can still move forward and allow people the freedom to think and speak what they wish.?

We follow the news and track the science deniers and hope upon hope that they don't aspire to change our Constitution to allow the teaching of Creationist "science" alongside the real stuff.
Imagine if we had no First Amendmentwith
the "ESTABLISHMENT CLAUSE"

As passionate as several are about the 2nd Amendment, We must remain diligent about protecting the FIRST.
Weve already overturned Amendments , and should the House Committee on SCience and Technology continue in its war against Science, by serving up Creationists as subcommittee chairmen, we will have something to worry about down the road.
I can see medical schools and genetics research departments in Universities denied govt funding so critical to advanced research if they don't "also teach" ID or Creationist thinking as science.

All that would be an outgrowth of a Creationist leaning government.
JimmyJ

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 01:55 am
@neologist,
The fact that there are still creationists in the world is humorous indeed.
JimmyJ

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 01:57 am
@farmerman,
It's scary to think about.

The one constant I've noticed with people who deny evolution is ignorance.
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 02:25 am
@JimmyJ,
Yes, and the huge percentage of those who are supercilious is sad.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 04:24 am
@neologist,
I can't agree with that. I find it dismal, not amusing.
spendius

Sun 26 Jan, 2014 05:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
None that I know of.

Which must mean Apisa left the scene/s with no forwarding address before the result came through. Essence of misogyny. Like a tom-cat.

Weasel words notwithstanding.
0 Replies