Why do people deny evolution?

Quehoniaomath

Thu 16 Jul, 2015 10:28 am
@martinies,
look up:

Quote:
The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind

http://entropymag.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/bicameral.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Origin-Consciousness-Breakdown-Bicameral-Mind/dp/0618057072

martinies

Thu 16 Jul, 2015 02:04 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Ok que ill av a look. Thanks
martinies

Thu 16 Jul, 2015 02:50 pm
@martinies,
In my opinion the on going event which is moving exists remote from consciousness. So that when an individuals brain dies it will be like the event or the life of an individuals brain never existed as if the bigbang event had never happened. But that on going bang event exists in its own right with your consciousness pre existing it. So when ya die all you are left with is consciouness its as if ya brain and the event it existed in never was .Only ya heart counting for anything.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Thu 16 Jul, 2015 11:58 pm
@martinies,
Quote:
Ok que ill av a look. Thanks

you are very welcome
0 Replies

Amoh5

Fri 17 Jul, 2015 07:37 am
JimmyL, the reasoning that creationists ever use to deny evolution has never been a secret. They want to believe that a great magical being created us and everything else instantly out of thin air without any evolving processes, but its strange that we can notice an evolving process in living things, e.g from a fetus to an adult human being, theres no instant magical outcome. Maybe its their way of escaping from the harsh realities of life? We all like to escape (or forget, get time-out) from the harsh real world we live in now and then. Our way might be watching movies or listening to music etc. Their way might be believing in a magical god, what do you think? Escape to fantasy Island? I think Darwin is in a similar situation as Galileo who called the earth round and was condemned by the Catholic Church. I think maybe sometimes people depend on fantasy in order to cope with reality. Oh and by the way, I'm a Christian, a deist Christian if I may.
Quehoniaomath

Fri 17 Jul, 2015 08:16 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
JimmyL, the reasoning that creationists ever use to deny evolution has never been a secret. They want to believe that a great magical being created us and everything else instantly out of thin air without any evolving processes, but its strange that we can notice an evolving process in living things, e.g from a fetus to an adult human being, theres no instant magical outcome. Maybe its their way of escaping from the harsh realities of life? We all like to escape (or forget, get time-out) from the harsh real world we live in now and then. Our way might be watching movies or listening to music etc. Their way might be believing in a magical god, what do you think? Escape to fantasy Island? I think Darwin is in a similar situation as Galileo who called the earth round and was condemned by the Catholic Church. I think maybe sometimes people depend on fantasy in order to cope with reality. Oh and by the way, I'm a Christian, a deist Christian if I may.

It is much simpeler then that,

THERE IS NO EVIDENCE.

See, simple eh?
0 Replies

Krumple

Fri 17 Jul, 2015 03:51 pm
@Amoh5,
Amoh5 wrote:

It is totally possible that an intelligent god would create a system like evolution for life to work. But it just could be that ancient men interpreted nature incorrectly because they lacked data. I don't see the bible as inspired by god but rather an interpretation of god. Then some scribes to attempt to give more validity to their stories they lied and said they had communion with god.

There was an article I read a few years ago, I wish I would have saved it. Anyway it studied the possibility that many of communion with god were nothing more than brain disorders, like temporal epilepsy was one of the common conclusions. Especially with Mohammad, because he specifically recorded details about what would happen to him before he had his visions. These symptoms he had happen to coincide with people who have temporal epilepsy.

Imagine you are living in a time where medical advances don't exist and the understanding of the functioning of the brain and body are completely unknown. If you have a psychological disorder of some type, having hallucinations can easily be misinterpreted as divine experiences.

Galileo being punished for putting forth the idea that the earth is not the center of the solar system, put the power of the Catholic Church in jeopardy. Of course these priests didn't want their power base threatened. It is an injustice but all things have their price. The power of christianity is waning as scientific advances are made.

But coming back full circle. We experience self and probably are the only animal on the planet who can comprehend our non-existence and that idea is very difficult to grasp. Many people don't like the idea of non-existence, so they find refuge in the idea that they will continue to exist after their body dies.

I think with our current understanding of reality, the ONLY thing you could legitimately come to (in the case of gods) is to be a deist. Christian theology is not validated at all by our current understanding of reality. But that doesn't necessary stop people from ignoring this fact. To be honest you can only really be a deist. You can't know any properties of a god, it's intentions, motivations or concerns. Any attempt to claim that you know this or that, is pure conjecture and wishful thinking.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Sat 18 Jul, 2015 09:23 am
Krumple, i do acknowledge your oponion of me using the word "deist"which i was a little unsure of using. Maybe i was wrong. I merely referred to this term because i don't take the whole bible literally and do not agree with the creationist idea. I do notice that the existence of physical life and matter around me does have an evolving process. However, i totally do give allegiance to the divinity of Lord Jesus and his human family spirit of God. I do apologise to any creationist if i seem rude or ridiculing. As a Chrstian I don't call myself perfect, (only Lord Jesus is) but i do believe that we all sometimes like to escape the pains of the real world now and then, no matter how scientific or religious we may be. But whatever beliefs that keep us well and thriving, must be good.
Krumple

Sat 18 Jul, 2015 05:16 pm
@Amoh5,
Amoh5 wrote:
because i don't take the whole bible literally and do not agree with the creationist idea.

Yeah you are not a deist at all. I find it funny though, that you can be selective. You don't take the bible literally but you believe in the other nonsense? It's like if you took the harry potter books and said the same thing. You don't think the stories are literal, but you believe Dumbledore is real. So which parts are you not taking literal? And how are you determining that you shouldn't take it literal?
0 Replies

Amoh5

Sat 18 Jul, 2015 10:06 pm
Krumple, I am indeed a Christian, and therefore I only follow the words of Christ from the bible my only and absolute teacher for spiritual or psychological guidance. He is not anti-human, racist, sexist, greedy or perverted. I think he is the best teacher for human family values and survival, whether people believe he existed or not, I don't care because it keeps me well and thriving. So at the end of the day I'm saying that whether you are a creationist or not and your beliefs keep you well and thriving, it must be good, so, whatever works for you.
Krumple

Sat 18 Jul, 2015 10:15 pm
@Amoh5,
Amoh5 wrote:

Krumple, I am indeed a Christian, and therefore I only follow the words of Christ from the bible my only and absolute teacher for spiritual or psychological guidance. He is not anti-human, racist, sexist, greedy or perverted. I think he is the best teacher for human family values and survival, whether people believe he existed or not, I don't care because it keeps me well and thriving. So at the end of the day I'm saying that whether you are a creationist or not and your beliefs keep you well and thriving, it must be good, so, whatever works for you.

Are you saying you couldn't have come up with these things on your own? That you couldn't have reasoned them out with your own ability, you need someone else to inform you of these things? There has to be more to it than just a role model for how to treat other humans or how not to be intrusive in society. I bet that you still think that he is the only one who will allow you into heaven. I could be wrong but I bet there is more to it than you have mentioned so far. You just want to avoid the nonsense and keep your cake then suggest it's for other reasons you get to eat it.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 12:19 am
Krumple, In order to reason reality or to be a realistist, one does not claim perfection. We all fall from grace sometimes in our lives no matter how clever or invincible we may think we are. Thats why people seek guidance sources other than themselves, (our parents or whoever) and theres nothing wrong with that, that's normal. That's why I don't claim perfection over any other human being. Like every other human being i too strive for wellness and prosperity. The universe is a not always a beautiful, serene and painless place.
Krumple

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 12:24 am
@Amoh5,
Amoh5 wrote:

Krumple, In order to reason reality or to be a realistist, one does not claim perfection. We all fall from grace sometimes in our lives no matter how clever or invincible we may think we are. Thats why people seek guidance sources other than themselves, (our parents or whoever) and theres nothing wrong with that, that's normal. That's why I don't claim perfection over any other human being. Like every other human being i too strive for wellness and prosperity. The universe is a not always a beautiful, serene and painless place.

I'm not just referring to doing everything on your own. My over all point was that there must be more to it than that. Jesus isn't just your role model for how to be a good person. I suspect there is more than just that. Otherwise wouldn't there be even better sources than Jesus? If you don't think there are any better sources than I don't think you have looked. So it leads me to assume that there is more to it than just finding a way to be a good person. If you were solely focused on being a good person, there would be more than just Jesus as a source.
martinies

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 05:05 am
@Krumple,
Jesus represents nonattachment to the event. Goodness is nonattachment so you have to be good to be nonattached or neutral to the event as god is. God being nonlocal to the localised event the observer experiences.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 05:34 am
Krumple, Searching for a genuine teacher(source) on human pyschology and spirituality is not an easy task, especially if they are going to define what is normal and abnormal human behaviour. You need to check on their profile for honourability, credibility, integrity, their value towards human life, do they have offensive ideas towards your mother and sisters, there are so many questions before you can even consider taking them seriously. And yes some teachers in this field say some good things, but i wouldn't take them seriously in the wholesome sense because i don't know enough about them (or their livelihood) or don't agree with other ideas they have. I'd definitely like to know a teacher of this field inside and out if they are going to tell me how i should think and behave.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 05:59 am
Krumple, replying to your previous post, God to me as a Christian is the spirit of family(and the father which Lord Jesus mentions in the bible) The spirit of the father is the same spirit as the mother which is literally family. Therefore, the spirit of family(or God) belongs to all living things. Lord Jesus is the human family spirit of God(or family) I feel safe with the family spirit of Lord Jesus. I don't think i could say that about any other teacher of this field.
martinies

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 08:11 am
@Amoh5,
If family means attachment to the local field of an observer and placed above nonlocality then it would be selfishness and a vice. The family could in other words be group selfishness.
Krumple

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 08:37 am
@martinies,
martinies wrote:

If family means attachment to the local field of an observer and placed above nonlocality then it would be selfishness and a vice. The family could in other words be group selfishness.

Do you just put pieces of paper with three words written on each piece and randomly pick them out of a hat to make sentences? But you make sure to always include your favorite non locality in for good measure. I'm beginning to think your brain is non local.
martinies

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 01:45 pm
@Krumple,
The observers brain exists in a field of events that happens below c the speed of light. Attachment to that field is evil. Love of money or possessions fixes consciousness at the c or below level of things. Family with attachment is local. Lights ref frame is nonlocality.
Ragman

Sun 19 Jul, 2015 05:16 pm
@martinies,
Drunk