Why do people deny evolution?

FBM

Sat 27 Jun, 2015 08:00 pm
List of transitional fossils: https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=List_of_transitional_fossils

Quote:
Nautiloids to ammonoids[edit]
The Nautiloids → Ammonoids Evolutionary Series
Appearance Taxa Relationships Status Description Image
>500 Ma
Subclass:
Nautiloidea
OrhtocerasNautiloid092313.jpg
390 Ma
Order:
Bactritida
Member of the Nautiloids.
Direct ancestor of the ammonoids.
370 Ma
Subclass:
Ammonoidea
Direct descendants of Bactirida.
Ammonite Asteroceras.jpg
Cephalopods[edit]
Further information: cephalopods
The Cephalopod Evolutionary Series
296 Ma
Genus
Pohlsepia
The earliest described octopod.
164 Ma
Genus:
Proteroctopus
A primitive octopod. Proteroctopus ribeti.jpg
165–164 Ma
Genus:
Vampyronassa
An early member of the Vampyromorphida. Vampylarge.JPG
89–71 Ma
Genus:
Palaeoctopus
A primitive octopod. Palaeoctopus newboldi.jpg
Evolution of insects[edit]
Further information: evolution of insects
The Insect Evolutionary Series
400 Ma
Genus:
Rhyniognatha
The world's oldest known insect.
400 Ma
Genus:
Rhyniella
Early springtail.
300 Ma
Genus:
Archimylacris
Ancestral to cockroaches, mantids and termites.
316.5 Ma
Genus:
Aphthoroblattina
A primitive cockroach.
140 Ma
Genus:
Archaeolepis
The earliest known Lepidopteran.
92 Ma
Genus:
Melittosphex
The oldest known species of bee.
80 Ma
Genus:
Sphecomyrma
The earliest known species of ant.
56–34 Ma
Genus:
Eophyllium
First leaf insect from the fossil record.
52 Ma
Genus:
Protoclaviger
Transitional fossil myrmecophile (social parasite of ant colonies) of the rove beetle subfamily Pselaphinae.
Evolution of spiders[edit]
Further information: evolution of spiders
The Spider Evolutionary Series

It loses formatting when pasted, but the list goes on and on and on.
0 Replies

neologist

Sat 27 Jun, 2015 09:03 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
"doesnt fly with you"-- hardly stands as valid rebuttal. . . .
The two I mentioned are particularly troublesome. I'll leave it at that since they have been discussed before.

The central issue here is belief. In the end, one must believe speciation to be valid. Or, one must advance some other explanation. Whatever you arrive at, belief must be the product of consideration void of desire for license or expectation of reward. I've done my homework.
FBM

Sat 27 Jun, 2015 09:21 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

...belief must be the product of consideration void of desire for license or expectation of reward...

Eh? Are you serious? Am I misunderstanding you? Seems that I've met a lot of people who did have blind faith explicitly with the hopes of an eternal reward. Or did you mean "should" instead of "must"?
InfraBlue

Sat 27 Jun, 2015 10:12 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
The central issue here is belief. In the end, one must believe speciation to be valid. Or, one must advance some other explanation. Whatever you arrive at, belief must be the product of consideration void of desire for license or expectation of reward. I've done my homework.

What does license and reward have to do with speciation?
neologist

Sat 27 Jun, 2015 11:03 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
Eh? Are you serious? Am I misunderstanding you? Seems that I've met a lot of people who did have blind faith explicitly with the hopes of an eternal reward. Or did you mean "should" instead of "must"?
Where else would confirmation bias originate? I'm satisfied with the integrity of my continued research.
martinies

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 04:16 am
Evolution of species is just information at below c presenting different life forms to the covenience of environment. Physics is information that exists below c as location. God exists above c as nonlocation . Location or information only exists there for as an illusion to its creator god nonlocality. Genetics is just a form of information in timespace. Information in time space is locality.
0 Replies

martinies

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 04:24 am
Information (locality)only exists as an illusion to nolocality. Spooky action at a distance shows this to be true.
0 Replies

FBM

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 08:23 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

FBM wrote:
Where else would confirmation bias originate? I'm satisfied with the integrity of my continued research.

Not every case of faith is a case of confirmation. I'd say that that would be the minority case. Simple childhood indoctrination would seem to account for the most of it. I know that where I grew up, it was verboten to ask too many questions, expecially the kind that the adults uncomforable due to their inability to answer them. In any event, the mainstream sciences have built-in checks on such cognitive pitfalls as confirmation bias: peer review of the empirical evidence, the analytic methodologies applied and the conclusion(s).
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 09:11 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Where else would confirmation bias originate?
Id rather the term "myside bias" be used, since science began,and the "method" has been popular, science has crashed , burnt itself and rebuilt with many new and better working hypotheses that eventually became testable theories.
Creationism has not(now, I suspect, will it ever).
Ever since the Fundamentlist movements gave rise to the many bible centered worldviews (including Mr C T Russell's own),Creationist "science" has NEVER done anything to advance any undertanding of our living world except try to counter and negate the facts and evidence (And lab methods) that real sciences engage in. You have to admit that "myside bias" is a game Creationism plays to try to crush credibility of cience. Yet, they hvent a clue even where to begin.
Science does a good job on itself. Real science isnt a game of perfect numbers or unassailable facts. Its rising bunch of data and approximations thqt, together. provide a fairly accurate "recipe" for whatever inquiries they begin.

I use Huttons LAW a lot in my work. The Creationists hve tried (unsuccessfully) to poo poo its relevance nd ccurcy. Yet, every day, thousands and thousands of filed crews use the LAW just like figuring out the area under a circle. It has always worked for us, and whenever it doesnt, it Always leads to new discoveries about that rock mass.

martinies

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 09:26 am
@farmerman,
God would have to be nonlocal so rambling on about local science can never disprove a nonlocal god. Evolution is local action originateing from the nonlocality of the bigbang.Your arguing in a local way about nonlocality. The local universe must have come out of a nonlocal creator by simple reasoning.
farmerman

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 09:37 am
@martinies,
whatever dude. .
martinies

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 09:53 am
@farmerman,
Faith is required to escape from clutches of the local mind. Local is the beasts realm where the law of tooth and claw and selfishness conceit reign. Hitler stalin and alike fought for there psuodo local identities. The misunderstanding Darwins evolution of species was the inspiration for there works.
farmerman

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 11:14 am
@martinies,
see above
martinies

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 11:23 am
@farmerman,
Take it there must be complete agreement then. Heh
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 11:52 am
@neologist,
Yeah...that "belief"...that is some serious stuff...in your mind!

C'mon, Neo.

Do you really think it is such hot stuff to "believe" there is a god...or there are no gods?

Do you think it hot stuff to "believe" it is more likely there is at least one god...than that there are none?

Do you think it hot stuff to "believe" it is more likely there are no gods...than that there is at least one?

C'mon.

It is pap...absolute nonsense.

It is a pig wearing lots of lipstick and makeup.

Really!
martinies

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 01:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank is of course absolutely right. In his neutral and therefor nonlocal way.
neologist

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 02:59 pm
@farmerman,
First of all, I am not a creationist. I don't consider the earth to be 6000 years old, as scripture allows for billions. And, the concept of "intelligent design" holds no meaning for me.

Probably the main reason JWs have done little to "advance any understanding of our living world" is because we have spent our efforts translating Bible literature into, at last count, over 700 languages. We don't eschew scientific knowledge. But we concentrate on what we believe to be important.
neologist

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 03:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Take a mulligan, Frank.
Then go to the clubhouse and quaff a cool one for me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 03:10 pm
@neologist,
Ive known about 10 JW's and ALL were staunch Cretionists. SO, prdon me if I find you statement a bit disingenuous
georgeob1

Sun 28 Jun, 2015 03:33 pm
Why is this thread stuck in the false notion that evolution in any way preculdes the existence of a creator? The former is a directly observable process in nature, though science is still short of proof that it explains the existence of all life. The latter is a question that certainly does confront physics and cosmology