Why do people deny evolution?

FBM

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 06:24 am
@Setanta,
Ah. Gracias. I think I'm back on track now.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 06:46 am
By the way, babbling about the difference between an hypothesis and a theory is meaningless. The anti-vaccination hysteria dates back to the 1720s, when it was called variolation. Cotton Mather in Massachusetts called for the use of variolation (what we call vaccination) in 1721, and as crude as the method then used was, it proved effective. Nevertheless, it was opposed widely on religious grounds. When Jenner introduced vaccination in the 1790s, there was the same religious opposition, although many clergymen now supported it. People who had a stake in the variolation method ramped up the opposition to vaccination for reasons of personal interest, and one of them likened vaccination to syphillis--and idiots were still peddling the BS well into the 20th century.

Of course, there was Mary Baker Eddy, who claimed that sickness was an illusion (1875) and that disease can be cured by prayer alone. Samuel Clemens particularly hated Eddy, and criticized her in several essays, which were collected in a book published in 1907--Christian Science. There were howls of outrage, many of them coming from christians who were not devotees of Eddy--basically, they considered it to be the thin end of an anti-religious wedge. The publisher withdrew the book, and it was out of print for more than 75 years. The idea of "faith healing," however, became very popular, especially among religious fundamentalist preachers, who were not members of the Christian Science movement. It is with us to this day.

Virulent religious reaction to On the Origin of Species began immediately in 1859, and have continued to this day. The most notorious such reaction in the United States is the famous 1925 "monkey trial"when the State of Tennessee prosecuted John Scopes for teaching evolution. Scopes stated at the time that he was unsure if he had ever actually taught the theory of evolution, but he deliberately incriminated himself in order to force a trial--which he lost. His conviction was later overturned on a procedural technicality. The rabid anti-evolution ranters are with us to this day.

All of these controversies began well before the Second World War, and all of them continue to rage in our modern world.
Quehoniaomath

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 06:48 am
@Setanta,
you mean, you mean, I really don't beliebe it, that vaccinationms work?

Of course they don't! Your rambling all the time.
MontereyJack

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 01:39 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Seen anyone with smallpox lately,quahog? Idiot

0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 04:06 pm
@Setanta,
You're mixing apples and oranges.
Setanta

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 05:07 pm
@Olivier5,
No, i'm just rebutting your idiocy. I fully expect that you'll continue to blather, and when people get bored and leave, you'll declare yourself the "winner."
0 Replies

hingehead

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 06:06 pm
@FBM,
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6szFKBCQAA_WNg.jpg
edgarblythe

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 06:15 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6szFKBCQAA_WNg.jpg

Naw. I agree with the creationists that a theory is wishful thinking.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 06:18 pm
I'm kidding.
hingehead

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 06:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
Never doubted it.
FBM

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 07:03 pm
@hingehead,
Thanks for that. My theory is that everyone will forget that in approximately 5 posts.
hingehead

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 07:18 pm
@FBM,
The vast body of evidence supports your theory.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Tue 6 Jan, 2015 08:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Whew! Had us worried there for awhile, edgar.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Wed 7 Jan, 2015 01:29 am
@hingehead,
But you are not saying anything! You only repeat a MANTRA mate!

Show us E V I D E N C E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
hingehead

Wed 7 Jan, 2015 01:39 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Stop kidding us you give a **** about evidence you sock puppet.
Quehoniaomath

Wed 7 Jan, 2015 01:42 am
@hingehead,
Quote:
Stop kidding us you give a **** about evidence you sock puppet.

Aha! Another Ad Hominem! What else is new?
Anyway, yes of course I am interested in evidence.
So far, no one has been able to produce any.
Yes, a lot of people are trying to show me the Emperor's Cloth.
They have convinced themselves very foolishly that there is 'evidence', while it really is not 'evidence' at all.
It is no fault of me that I see that the Emperor is naked. very very naked.

Wilso

Wed 7 Jan, 2015 03:19 am
@hingehead,
Don't feed it Hinge. That's what it wants the most.
hingehead

Wed 7 Jan, 2015 05:01 am
@Wilso,
Oh I know, but for future generations who look at this thread I wanted them to know mindless crap wasn't accepted. I shall refrain. Eventually.
0 Replies

hingehead

Wed 7 Jan, 2015 05:03 am
@Quehoniaomath,
http://www.nature.com/nature/newspdf/evolutiongems.pdf
Quehoniaomath

Wed 7 Jan, 2015 06:29 am
@hingehead,

You are very funny!
You have given me here DESCRIPTIONS
NOT ANY EVIDENCE AT ALL!!
I don't care what someone says or write for that matter,
I want to see any evidence for myself! Difficult eh?

You seem to have confused a sign with the thing itself!

So, still, NO EVIDENCE

Capricce?

Of course not!