I'll be back when I don't need to use my phone
But I will have a laugh
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 22 Dec, 2013 02:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Mostly, I do not make assertions.

Murmurings and shufflings of feet, some handwringing, laughter on the back row, discrete throat clearings and a violinist playing a heart rending "Tell Me The Old, Old Story".
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 22 Dec, 2013 06:26 pm
@JimmyJ,
JimmyJ wrote:
http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/2008/03/whale-evolution.html

Simple google search...

Are you lazy or unwilling?
I'm surprised you picked that one, Jimmy. It has a wealth of contradictory argument and fails in explanation. You should simply have waited for farmerman.

But, the blow hole is not just a migrated nostril. Much like the conundrum presented by the rudimentary eye, the rudimentary blowhole is fraught with life threatening difficulties.
Did the 'nostril' migrate at the same time the thorax separated from the throat? If not, intermediate mutations would have had no chance to survive.
When did the 'nostril' develop the capability of withstanding the pressures of deep diving, in excess of 1000 feet in some cetaceans?
When did cetaceans develop the tail first birth method that allows calves to be born without drowning?
Add to that the problems of early mutations attempting to eat while submerged without swallowing water, as well as the the thermoregulation challenges faced by fur bearing animals trying to develop marine skin.

Just how looooonnng a time would this take to happen by natural selection?
farmerman

Sun 22 Dec, 2013 07:10 pm
@neologist,
you suffer from a Creationist view that requires ALL morphological modifications to have occurred AT ONCE. That wasn't the case at all with whales. The fossil record is the best source of gradualistic morphological changes. The genetic and embryological records of existing cetaceasns are merely "record keeping" of what has clearly happened From the Paleocene onward.

We still se the "becoming" morphology of polare bears. We know they've split from Brown Bears by their genetic similarity with the exception of those genes that define and display the modifications of each. We see the morphological changes imprinted by adaptation to marine environments. (Hence the name Ursus maritimus. Should the ice cap remain (or not0 what will the polar bear become? will its huge webbed paws become flippers? This has happened in several species from fish and reptiles to mammals to birds.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 22 Dec, 2013 07:11 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
But, the blow hole is not just a migrated nostril
as we see in embryo development what else do you wish it to be?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sun 22 Dec, 2013 07:38 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Did the 'nostril' migrate at the same time the thorax separated from the throat?

Thorax separated from the throat? What the hell are you talking about?
neologist wrote:
Just how looooonnng a time would this take to happen by natural selection?

About 55 million years. The Archaeoceti originated around that time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeoceti
neologist

Sun 22 Dec, 2013 07:54 pm
@rosborne979,
neologist wrote:
Did the 'nostril' migrate at the same time the thorax separated from the throat?
rosborne979 wrote:
Thorax separated from the throat? What the hell are you talking about?
Do I have my words mixed up? The blowhole has no connection to the gullet, right? That would cause major problems, right?
neologist

Sun 22 Dec, 2013 07:56 pm
@neologist,
BTW, 55 million years is about what I figured someone might say. Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 22 Dec, 2013 08:13 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Do I have my words mixed up?
yes

55 million years is the example of complete fossils of INDOHYUS, the "missing link" twixt artiodactyls and protocetaceans (the 'cetus superorder).
Its air bladdered bone structures and its short legged structure with morphing "hooves" showed that they were semi aquatic
ALL THESE SPECIMENS come from a world of the proto Indian ocean during the Paleocene/Eocene thermal maximum(PETM) and the opening of the Indian Ocean during that time . All fossil of Indohyus and associated dry land artiodactyls are seen in the area of the horn of present Africa through Pakistan (All this area was joined at that time and was separating at the Carlsberg "proto" ridge.).

Ill bet you doubt that information too.
Then your difference would be with geophysics and not evolution.
You certainly have a lot of sciences with which you must disagree to even have your worldview sound reasonable
neologist

Sun 22 Dec, 2013 08:20 pm
@farmerman,
Finally, a word from someone who knows which end of the bat is the handle.
Thanks for the input.
This is obviously not my area of expertise and I generally avoid these threads but for the supercilliousness of the OP.
I'll return.
farmerman

Sun 22 Dec, 2013 08:25 pm
@neologist,
wait a minute. Are you also denying the accuracy of geophysics? Weve got all this really good deep ocean core zircon data that gives us really nifty times of when oceans opened and various fossils "who rode on those plates" first appeared . So, for the whale evolution to be suspect, the whale fossils through time must be suspect, and the times of the occurences of the geophysical events must be suspect. (That mans you've gotta have big adjida over ATOMIC THEORY also).

When you say that you "suspect" the veracity of some conclusion based upon sveral layers of evidence you need to realize that this vidence is a huge web of meta data.
neologist

Sun 22 Dec, 2013 08:36 pm
@farmerman,
Farmer.
I said I would be back.
Not right away.
I have to look up all the coffee, er, evidence you have presented to see if it actually answered my objections. I think you are a swell guy. But you wouldn't want me to go on your authority, would you?
Frank Apisa

Sun 22 Dec, 2013 08:58 pm
Anyone want to tackle nipples on men?
farmerman

Sun 22 Dec, 2013 09:00 pm
@neologist,
Ill see ya after Christmas. Well be going around visiting the next few days and Theres a family of my friend who is missing a father this holiday season. Ill visit infrequently until maybe Thursday.

My wishes are for a warm Christmas for all, AND be glad for what you have and who you have around you, because all life and good health is temporary.

My one Amish neighbor has given us 2 hens a laying.(When my wife mentioned the song to AMos, our neigh bor, he looked at her like she had three heads.
SOO in September I started some Asian pear seeds and maybe well give them a seedling without the partridge. (I have no idea where

one can even buy a partridge and I don't like to shoot em, they are cute little buggers)

Tomorrow,(Dec 23) at the Strasburg provisonary (its an Amish grocery), they have an annual "You CUt THE Cheese" sale. You get to cut yourself your own block of Swiss or Cheddar off the wheels, and if you can get the weight within 2 oz either way of the amount you want, you get it for free. Otherwise you pay. (Its great Ohio Swiss and Real Sharp Vermont cheddar anyway).
So be nice to each other, its a holiday fer Chrise sakes
farmerman

Sun 22 Dec, 2013 09:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

that would be illegal holding , automatic 15 yrds
neologist

Sun 22 Dec, 2013 09:36 pm
@farmerman,
The best to you and yours, farmer. We are getting ready for winter school break sojourn. Washington coast this time. I'll bring the laptop to check up on your big words.
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 22 Dec, 2013 09:39 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:

that would be illegal holding , automatic 15 yrds
Yikes! At first I thought he said 'tack'
0 Replies

JimmyJ

Mon 23 Dec, 2013 03:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Yeah...it really does.

No, it does not.

Quote:

I do not have to know anything about science to tell you that in debate, the burden of proof for any assertion falls on the person making the assertion.

Ask someone grown-up, Jimmy. They'll tell you.

There is no debate here. These are facts we're talking about.
JimmyJ

Mon 23 Dec, 2013 03:26 am
@neologist,
We're talking millions of years here.

And you are incorrect. Blow holes ARE a migrated nostril. In fact, they technically ARE nostrils. If you aren't satisfied with the first source I'll have to send you to Berkeley's explanation (which says essentially the same thing in more detail). Keep in mind Berkeley has one of the great Biology schools in the West.

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evograms_03

I've already provided multiple lines of evidence regarding the evolution of the eye. I don't think I need to go through that again...
JimmyJ

Mon 23 Dec, 2013 03:27 am
@Frank Apisa,
I already mentioned nipples on men in another thread as an evolutionary "flaw". Nobody responded.