Does it seem there are more toy type guns?

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 08:57 am
I am not necessarily against toy guns, but I kind of find it ironic that these seems to me to be more shooting type toys. Ironic in the sense there is alot of anti-gun type publicity going on lately.

There are guns that shoot marshmellows, all sorts of nerf guns, and I recently saw this really cool looking bow and arrow type of gun geared toward girls - hunger guns I assume prompted this. And in general much more such toy weapons geared towards girls than I've seen before (saw a nice pink bb gun).

Does anyone else notice this? Why when we in general as a society seem to be trying to prevent gun use and gun bans?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,946 • Replies: 15
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 10:01 am
@Linkat,
I think they really just started marketing them to girls more.

Don't you think it was interesting that guns weren't in The Hunger Games arena?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 10:04 am
@boomerang,
I think the point of that omission was that guns aren't brutal enough for hand to hand combat and its Panem viewers.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 10:07 am
@boomerang,
probably to make it more vicious -more hand to hand combat - having a gun to choose from would make the killing too quick.

Could be - I do think some of them seem cool like the shooting marshmellows. One of these types of nerf guns or something topped one of the best toys for Christmas - I saw on some bad daytime tv type of show.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 10:47 am
@Linkat,
How do you kill (or at least distract) zombie toddlers? You shoot him or her in the head with a marshmallow gun and walk away at a normal pace as toddlers (by themselves are stumbling slow so that if they're zombies then they are extra slow to get away from). The zombie toddler would then spend a great deal of time obsessing over the marshmallow bullet then any other live person in the room.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 11:01 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
I am not necessarily against toy guns, but I kind of find it ironic that these seems to me to be more shooting type toys. Ironic in the sense there is alot of anti-gun type publicity going on lately.

There are guns that shoot marshmellows, all sorts of nerf guns, and I recently saw this really cool looking bow and arrow type of gun geared toward girls - hunger guns I assume prompted this. And in general much more such toy weapons geared towards girls than I've seen before (saw a nice pink bb gun).
FYI, there are functional handguns rendered in pink for the ladies.
In my childhood, it made me very HAPPY to get guns at Christmastime.

Linkat wrote:
Does anyone else notice this? Why when we in general as a society
seem to be trying to prevent gun use and gun bans?
Long live the profit motive!!!
I absolutely LOVE to see the Individual citizen defeat the collective.
For instance, there is the advent of 3D printer technology successfully
producing effective home made guns! Thay are only just beginning
to evolve this technology, like the Wright Bros. at Kitty Hawk.
Thay will be like the Replicators in Star Trek TNG.

David
Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 11:10 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David - I think my point is -- it seems ironic that a society that is trying to prevent gun ownership or at least limit guns (whether right or wrong) at the same time is selling many gun or gun-like toys and it appears to me (maybe I'm just more noticing) - these type of toys are increasing on the store shelves.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 11:14 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
David - I think my point is -- it seems ironic that a society that is trying to prevent gun ownership or at least limit guns (whether right or wrong) at the same time is selling many gun or gun-like toys and it appears to me (maybe I'm just more noticing) - these type of toys are increasing on the store shelves.
I understand your point, Linkat.
Do u think its possible that the
toy manufacturers r more interested
in turning a good profit than in pleasing society ?

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 11:23 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Most definately - - but to turn a profit there has to be people buying these products. So the same people who are saying no guys --- are then buying toy guns -- that is the part of the irony.

Toy manufacturers are selling products that sell and will make them money -- but supposedly we as a society are against guns ---- so who is then buying them?
roger

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 03:10 pm
@Linkat,
Maybe the people who are underrepresented in surveys? Then again, it could be the parents who think candy cigarettes and cigars that actually blow smoke are cool.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 03:18 pm
Somewhere in my child life I played with a water pistol, probably not my own. I think it was green.

Not long after, some of us had some sort of plastic bottle that squirted water much further than the water pistols.

This being long ago, I assume water pistols by now could be actual weapons.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 03:19 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

more ironic is all of the gun violence in Hollywood products. And how about all of that relationship violence, stuff we are supposed to call the state about if we see it in real life....it is a standard portion of Hollywood products.

It looks to me like the more we sanitize life, or try to, the more we need to get our fix of the stuff that we are supposed to hate....basic Freud.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 03:32 pm
@roger,
Haven't seen those candy cigarattes in quite a while. i remember getting those.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 03:59 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Most definately - - but to turn a profit there has to be people buying
these products. So the same people who are saying no guys --- are then buying toy guns -- that is the part of the irony.
I remember seeing an interview of young pacifistic leftist parents
who, during pregnancy, decided to isolate their child from ALL guns.
Thay told of how he twisted bread into the shape of a gun
and orally made supporting sound effects while playing with
another boy his age, but that thay also moved their fingers
into the configuration of guns with said sound effects,
as if thay were having a gunfight. The parents gave up.

Linkat wrote:
Toy manufacturers are selling products that sell
and will make them money -- but supposedly we as a society
are against guns ---- so who is then buying them?
That sentiment is only among liberals or pacifists. The rest of society
(non-liberal and non-pacifist) is free to get guns, as thay always have.

I must call into question the accuracy of that supposition.
About 1/2 of American households possess defensive guns.

David
Linkat

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 08:37 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
decided to isolate their child from ALL guns.

I have a very good friend like that - she (prior to having children) was adamently against guns or any sort of violent toy. As luck would have it, she had two boys - one of which was definately as they say all boy. As she said too - I gave up; it doesn't matter if you refuse to buy them a toy gun or not, they will just pick up a stick that looks like a gun and use it as one.

I think sometimes it is just in their nature.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2013 11:39 am
@Linkat,
DAVID wrote:
decided to isolate their child from ALL guns.
Linkat wrote:
I have a very good friend like that - she (prior to having children) was adamently against guns or any sort of violent toy. As luck would have it, she had two boys - one of which was definately as they say all boy. As she said too - I gave up; it doesn't matter if you refuse to buy them a toy gun or not, they will just pick up a stick that looks like a gun and use it as one.
Yes; I remember doing that at around ages 3 thru 6,
even tho I then had plenty of non-functioning imitation guns.

Linkat wrote:
I think sometimes it is just in their nature.
Yes. That principle of human behavior was observed
in experimentation wherein boys chose to buy guns in toystores
while girls selected dolls, given no interference.
0 Replies