Your Comfort

Seed

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 04:15 pm
What is your comfort item? Be it food, song, action or item. When the day has just been to much and you want to crawl into a hole for the rest of the storm, what is it that helps you come back to the light of day and let everything bothering you float away?

For me, I have a "My buddy" doll. Yep. Had it since I was about 4 years old. It's always been with me actually. Lie about it all the time. When I went to Iraq it went with me. Usually sat in my wall locker. When ever I was asked about it, I would say that a relative gave it to me, to keep me safe and remind me of home. Which wasn't a lie. It was a Christmas present some years back. I used it back then when I would get scared of the dark. If I heard a noise or something I would throw it in the direction of the noise, sure of the fact that he would have scared it off. Off course, I had my jump rope tied to it so I could pull him back from the floor and help keep me safe in bed. Even now though, it sits on my bed at night. Keeping the watchful sentry eye out.

When I come home from a bad day I will sit down and somehow, he ends up in the chair with me and it's just peaceful. Weird I know, but hey, we all have our little things.

mm25075

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 04:25 pm
snuggle up in a very soft blanket. ( sans clothing)
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 04:47 pm
@Seed,
I have a stuffed elephant I sleep with every night! I'm 48 years old.

As a little girl I had a similar stuffed elephant, and hoped it would keep me safe from my father at night.

P.S. - His name is "Elephi!" And yes, hubby understands.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 04:51 pm
@Seed,
I pick up my camera. Peace thru a lens. Whatever's going on, disappears.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 04:57 pm
roll a reefer, pipe of hash, shoot some smack, 1/2 quart of sour mash whisky and 1 hour of cartoon network, kick the dog, scratch the cat and heat up a can of spaghettio's. xanax and a cup of assam tea before bed.
dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 05:09 pm
@dyslexia,
Curl up with book.....watch some very good or very silly TV/DVD.

Single malt scotch.

Cuddle cat.

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 05:30 pm
I have a small community of teddy bears (about 10), one small stuffed lamb, two stuffed dogs, one stuffed elephant named Ellie, one penguin of death.
http://www.campusgifts.co.uk/acatalog/Pengiunofdeathclassic-LG.jpg
and one Maromi (unclassifiable)
http://www.justmanga.com/jmcover/GE6113.jpg

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 06:05 pm
@Seed,
Warm/hot water: a bath and/or a cup of tea.
I use music to get happy- tv makes me irritable (all those commercials) so for calming I like quiet.
I love my bed and my quilts- my two very specific and comfortable pillows. If I don't have the right pillows, I can't sleep.

I've never had a stuffed animal though- even as a kid- I think that's why I always have to have two pillows- one to put my head on and one to hug.

Yeah so, a nice cup of tea and then bath and bedtime.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 06:11 pm
I can't access just the right image from google, but this is close -

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/DKIMAGES/Discover/previews/812/35047827.JPG

Mine is from Lovenuff Talking Bear collection - an AA bear called a "sponsor bear" that recites things like 'one day at a time' and 'I love you', or did, until I could no longer get a new battery to activate the voice box. It was, of course, a rescue bear, part of a trio my business partner (a landscape contractor) rescued from a haul away bin up in Bel Air, the trio being a white monkey, this brown bear, and a black pig. I washed the white monkey and it shrivelled (let that be a lesson) and I've since given away the black pig - but kept Teddy, which I continue to find charming even though his throat, or lower back to be specific, is rusted out, or something. He sits in the living room on the old radio cabinet along with my mini JVC CD system and the next -

The Sea Otter Body Puppet, purchased from the Good Will because he was unhappy in that bin of stuffies...

similar but not equal to this (this is another company's product and mine has nicer feet, er, paws) -

http://www.folkmanis.com/images/products/hand_puppets/larger/sea_otter_2591.jpg

They spend their time watching the front door from inside...
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 06:16 pm
@Seed,
Oh I have a personal card too, framed, it sits in my bedroom overlooking me. It gives me strength to look long and hard into that picture knowing it was sent to me with trust, love and loyalty. Always gives me the strength to believe that life is for living when I start to falter.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 06:18 pm
@dlowan,
I don't much cuddle those door watchers. My comfort is books.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 06:26 pm
i'm kind of a shrine guy, set stuff up in certain spots
http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr73/djjd1962/100_1599.jpg

the wombat (left of pic) was a gift from my mom (from her tip to australia), he sits on my book shelf near the computer

the rugby player bear christmas tree ornament (middle of pic) sits on the right of my monitor (another gift from my mom)

the green lantern figurine, (right side of pic) came with the deluxe edition of justice league: the new frontier, sits to the right of my monitor
Seed

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 07:10 pm
@djjd62,
Oh I didn't realize that you were a a comic fan. Or a Justice League fan. Im a bit green lantern fan as well Smile

I have a Mario and Yoshi figure on my desk along with a stuffed Mario that over looks my bed. Something about them are calming waking up knowing that I guess they are still in place and haven't left.
djjd62

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 07:13 pm
@Seed,
big comic graphic novel fan, not a huge green lantern fan, but that's what came with the dvd

love the justice league
Seed

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 07:18 pm
@djjd62,
though its not the comic (as I was born into comics far later then I wish I had been) I have all of the Justice League on dvd. Green Lantern Corps and Green arrow are two of my favorites.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 07:44 pm
@Seed,
Seed wrote:
What is your comfort item? Be it food, song, action or item.
When the day has just been to much and you want to crawl into
a hole for the rest of the storm, what is it that helps you
come back to the light of day and let everything bothering you float away?
It 's a thawt: in time of stress,
I dwell upon the death of communism & nazism.

I slowly and thawtfully savor the euphoric rapture of the knowledge
that "there is no communism in Russia" and "USSR does not exist."

I also take delight n comfort in my gun collection (mostly revolvers).
I cock them (the unloaded ones) and gently lay the hammer down.

I remember how, at age 6, a Catholic priest showed our class
a 9mm Luger P-08, with his words: "this is a German Luger."
I lusted for it.
I was impressed with how sleek n neat it was.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luger_P08_pistol
I have since added one from 1940 to my collection.
It feels soothing in my hand (very comfortable to hold)
and soothing in my eyes (very comfortable to behold),
tho at only 9mm, I don 't rely on it for home defense.

For that, its my 2 inch .44 caliber revolver loaded with hollowpointed slugs.

David
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 11:39 am
@Seed,
Yeah you are off your rocker!

I still have my Corneilus. He is a stuffed monkey - my brother saw it one day and said you still have that ratty old thing. My husband in a mad cleaning freanzy tried to throw it away. I freaked - he would be thrown away first!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 12:53 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Yeah you are off your rocker!
O, its such a long time since last I heard that expression of "off your rocker!"
We used to hear it in the 1950s. Nostalgic

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 03:14 pm
Never was into stuffed animals, dolls etc., but I sure do love my pillows.

I can sleep with a minimum of 2 pillows, if forced to.

3 are more to my liking, having a 4th one available is perfect.

Come to think of it, I could certainly use a 5th one.
Seed

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 03:20 pm
@chai2,
Seems like a crowded bed!
0 Replies