The black guy and the girls: the get no action action figures?

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:04 pm
I stopped at the store today and they had GI Joes on sale! Not just on sale but dirt cheap!!!

These weren't the crummy knock off GI Joes but the fully articulated, many weapons and accessories, way cool GI Joes!!!! $2.00 GI JOES!!! Wow!

So I started digging through the pile. Every single one was the black guy and the girls. Piles upon piles of the black guy and the girls.

I know they made more GI Joe styles than that because I looked at them at Christmastime but they were really expensive.

What the heck is wrong with the black guy and the girls that nobody bought them?

So now I'm curious.

Do they just make the black guy and the girls action figures so they won't be accused of not making the black guy and the girls action figures?

I can attest to the popularity of these action figures as Mo's socks were knocked off at finding a new stash of GI Joes today. He didn't care that they were the black guy and the girls.

What do you think about this?

Thanks!

oolongteasup

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 08:39 pm
@boomerang,
i think mo is very lucky
0 Replies

snood

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 09:28 pm
Boomer, if you just step back and don't over-think this, it really isn't hard to understand why all the 'white guy' GI Joes would be sold out, leaving only the black guy and girls...

Is it?
0 Replies

boomerang

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 09:52 pm
Well Mo certainly thinks he's lucky to have all these new GI Joes!

But seriously, I've never thought about the "why" of it. And now it makes me feel kind of stupid and unobservant.

We have gobs of soldier toys. It seems I would have noticed the white guy-ness of them but I really hadn't.

I'm not mad about it but really kind of sad about it.

The black girls and Hispanics must think this is completely bizarre since they aren't represented at all.

I wonder if the store's toy buyers are on the ropes for having bought black guys and girls.

Weird.

JTT

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 09:55 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
I can attest to the popularity of these action figures as Mo's socks were knocked off at finding a new stash of GI Joes today. He didn't care that they were the black guy and the girls.

What do you think about this?

I think that you're not raising Mo right. Leaving him content with such deviant behavior will make it tough for him adjusting to real life. What's going to happen to the poor little guy when he tries to take his "friends" out to play with kids who have been raised in a more realistic fashion?
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 23 Feb, 2010 10:13 pm
@boomerang,
I was just going to ask what colours the girls are.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 03:41 am
I have read, and cannot vouch for the accuracy of the contention, that given a choice, little black girls will choose a white baby doll over a black baby doll. Maybe the same applies to "action figures." Maybe little black boys prefer the White GI Joe.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Wed 24 Feb, 2010 04:16 pm
It's true, there were studies in 1950's in which little black girls picked white baby dolls over black, but I don't think that is the issue here. I know someone who is a buyer for a popular retailer and she cannot discriminate her doll orders based on race, even if the store is located in a very white, hispanic, asian or black neighborhood. She has to order 100 whites, 100 black, 100 asian, 100 hispanic etc. So if your store, Boomer, is in a very white shopping district the odds are the white dolls went first and the black dolls are leftovers. If you lived in a predominately black consumer area it is likely there would be more white dolls lying around. Supply and demand.
snood

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:19 pm
@Green Witch,
It's an interesting idea - not sure if I agree on your conclusion that the white dolls would be left behind in similar fashion if the shopping happened in a black neighborhood. You see, I believe strongly that our (of color) children internalize from early on in this country a sort of devaluing. I think it happens subtly - whenever there are months and years of angst-filled stories about some random missing blonde haired blue eyed child, and every little black or latino missing child is relegated to a couple of paragraphs in the 'B' section. I think its subtle, but relentless. I think little children notice that their "history" is relegated to a single month, but the real, American History is propagandized every school day.

I think those little white dolls might move off the shelves just fine in a black neighborhood. I mean, to a black child, they might appear to be the "best" ones, so to speak.
Linkat

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:24 pm
@snood,
One thing I've noticed about my own daughters - although they are both brunettes, my younger (which is more "pretty" "girly" oriented) tends toward dolls with blond hair or associates blond with "pretty".
0 Replies

Green Witch

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 12:49 pm
@snood,
Someone probably should do a study on this. You would have to factor in the parents' influence also. Would a black parent buy a white GI Joe or Barbie doll if given a choice between skin color if they are shopping without the child in tow? I doubt it. Would a black parent question their child if the child showed preference for a white figure? I think they would. Few children get to make these decisions on their own, so I think one would have to look at the bigger picture before claiming facts. I lived in Crown Heights Brooklyn for over a year and saw lots of little black kids playing with predominately black action figures and dolls, there were some white ones thrown into the mix, but mostly child and doll matched up. However, I have no idea if the local stores had unsold white dolls clogging up the inventory.

As to history, as a Jewish child, I got the idea that my people disappeared between the death of Jesus and the Holocaust. In public school, in the 1960-s-70's, I learned a lot about slavery, Jim Crow, and the early Civil Rights movement, but never a word was mentioned about the pogroms of Europe that drove my relatives to this country. In English I read Cry The Beloved Country, The Invisible Man, and Uncle Tom's Cabin. The only literary Jew I remember was Shylock. I can only imagine how a Chinese American student feels about their lack of representation. To the victors go the school curriculum.
JTT

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 02:29 pm
@Green Witch,
You and Snood are full of it. Everything is hunky dory for minorities in North America.

I really wish you people would get over it.
DrewDad

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 02:35 pm
@boomerang,
There was an episode of "The Office" about this....
0 Replies

djjd62

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 02:35 pm
@JTT,
do you practise being a dick or does it just come naturally

i'm lucky it comes naturally to me

<cough>dick<cough>
DrewDad

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 02:39 pm
@Green Witch,
A girl just recently repeated the experiment. It's heartbreaking to watch.

0 Replies

JTT

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 02:42 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
<cough>dick<cough><retch>

You're very flexible, dj. At least you're learning something while you're on the dole.
djjd62

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 02:43 pm
@JTT,
why am i on the dole?

if you're referring to the fact that i'm not working, true, but i'm not receiving any government benefits
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 02:57 pm
Toy makers need to be politically correct, they are corporate and not doing it would cause expensive problems. However, kids are not political, they like what they like, and normally parents forgo the politics and get their kids what their kids want. Parents can comfort themselves with seeing the "right" toys on the shelf, rationalize that people are buying the "right" toys, and thus they are free to buy the one their kid really wants. The black doll is the PC approved version, the white one is the one the kids wants, is the one sold.

the only exception that comes to mind is Barbie, which a lot of middle aged women now hate, in a perfect world no one would want Barbie anymore...they think. So parents are very happy that many of their girls would rather have Bratz. Not that this is much of an improvement, as Bratz is far more slutty than Barbie ever was.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 03:07 pm
@JTT,
So do you ever kick yourself in the balls from having your knee jerk so quickly?

Why don't you try to actually comprehend what people are writing? You might find you are on the same side as they are.
Letty

Thu 25 Feb, 2010 03:32 pm
@boomerang,
boomer, when I was just a wee thing, I asked for and got a rubber dolly similar to this one.

http://janiesdolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/amosandra-doll-003.jpg