Mueller III

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 07:59 pm
(1) I pronounce Mueller III as "Mueller Third". Right?

Whatever reorganizing is done, Robert S. Mueller III, the director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, said this afternoon that it would be "a grave mistake" to create an entirely new domestic-intelligence agency. He said it would be wrong, too, to combine the functions of the F.B.I. and the C.I.A., which is forbidden by its charter to perform domestic intelligence work.

(2) TESTIMONY BEFORE THE 9/11 COMMISSION:
Robert Mueller Addresses FBI Leadership and Initiatives

I think the definition of the initiative here means:
The power or ability to begin or to follow through energetically with a plan or task; enterprise and determination.

Am I on the right track?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 797 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:13 pm
When used in a title or a name, the definite article is appended at the beginning, so:

Robert S. Mueller III, would be spoken "Robert S. Mueller the Third."

Charles II, "Charles the Second."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:19 pm
In the second example, iniatives could be replaced by undertakings, and sometimes might be synonymous with proposal. Initiative as a noun means a plan or program for implementation, or the development of means to attain an end.

So, for example, the President might wish to extend the tax reductions, but he doesn't have the power to order it--all money bills must originate in the House of Representatives, and be approved by a simple majority of the House and the Senate. Therefore, if the President wanted to propose an extension of the tax reduction, he might first attempt to make it appealing to the people, to whom the members of Congress will pay attention. In such a case, one might say: "The White House unveiled its new tax initiative today." That is to say, it is a plan, a proposal to be implemented, and they are putting it forward, in the hope that Congress will approve.

"Robert Mueller Addresses FBI Leadership and Initiatives " -- might also read: "Robert Mueller addresses FBI leadership and program proposals.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:43 pm
Excellent replies, Setanta! Got them clearly now.

Here is the qu of initials:

In reply, Mr. Tenet said he had "serious issues" with the staff report. Referring to his post as director of central intelligence by that title's initials,

I guess the initials meant "The first letter of each word of the title's complete name considered as a unit:", right?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 03:18 am
Yes, initials in this case means the initial (first) letter of each word. There is also the word acronym which means the same thing.

Initiate is a verb meaning to begin. Initial is a noun meaning first. Initiative is a noun meaning beginning or commencement.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 03:25 am
I haven't looked this up, and I hate to disagree with Set, but I would say that "initiative" is a noun meaning something a bit different. Let the dictionaries decide, and let them be English dictionaries in case you prove me wrong. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 04:19 am
Help yerself, McT--i was mostly writing that for Oristar to understand the logical progression. So, for example, when a military force "seizes the initiative," they have begun operations first, in order to force the enemy to conform, in order to set the terms of the campaign. I realize that the definition i gave is neither necessarily standard, nor clearly demonstrates the usages of the word initiative. I also rather think Oristar is intelligent and capable with a dictionary, and shouldn't get into too much trouble as a result.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 04:27 am
okay well fair enough then

Or as the Irish say round here: "Fair play to ye!"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 02:32 pm
Interestingly, Müller III would be in German "Miller three" (or the other way round, you know what I mean :wink: ).
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 06:37 pm
World War II should be pronounced as "World War Two"? "World War the Second"?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 09:11 pm
Either World War Two or the Second World War....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 09:40 pm
That rule about adding the definite article, Oristar, only applies to people.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:04 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 12:18 am
Setanta wrote:
That rule about adding the definite article, Oristar, only applies to people.

Hey, I think that's right!

Star Wars II

(what about racehorses...can't think of one...)
0 Replies