GW Bush is Dangerous Simpleton

pistoff

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 05:47 pm
Published on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 by The Progressive
A Scary Performance, and a Signal for Slaughter
by Matthew Rothschild

George Bush's press conference on April 13 was a scary performance.

Quote:
Not because his second sentence was ungrammatical: "This has been tough weeks in that country."

Not because he pronounced "instigated" as "instikated" in his fourth sentence.

Not because he said Donald Rumsfeld was Secretary of State.

Not because of his foolish comment that before 9/11 "we assumed oceans would protect us." (Ever since the Russians built their first ICBMs fifty years ago, the oceans haven't protected us.)

Not because he said of the August 6 briefing, "Frankly, I didn't think it was anything new"!

Not because he said that even if he had known beforehand that Iraq did not have WMD stockpiles, he still would have gone to war against Saddam Hussein.

Not because he had no coherent answer as to why Dick Cheney must hold his hand when he testifies to the 9/11 commission.

Not because he said that no one in his Administration had "any indication that bin Laden might hijack an airplane and run it into a building," when in fact, at the Genoa G-8 summit, there were precautions taken against incoming airplanes as missiles.

And not because he repeatedly refused to take a shred of personal responsibility for allowing the 9/11 attacks to happen on his watch.

No, his performance was scary because he plunged the United States deeper into a no-win war in Iraq.

"We will finish the job of the fallen," he said.

He gave only a pro forma nod toward the additional innocent Iraqis the United States may kill in the process.

"We will continue taking the greatest care to prevent harm to innocent civilians; yet we will not permit the spread of chaos and violence," he said. "I have directed our military commanders to make every preparation to use decisive force, if necessary, to maintain order and to protect our troops."

He reiterated this point later, saying, "Our commanders on the ground have got the authority necessary to deal with violence, and will--and will in firm fashion."

Here is the President warning that U.S. troops, who have already killed more than 600 Iraqis in the last week, will have a free hand.

That is a signal for slaughter.

He also continued to underestimate the resistance the United States is facing in Iraq. He called it "a power grab by extremist and ruthless elements." He said, "It is not a civil war. It is not a popular uprising." And, astonishingly, he asserted, "Most of Iraq is relatively stable."

That is not what many reporters have seen with their own eyes, and it is not what the TV screens are portraying.

What's more, Bush's vow to unleash "decisive force" will only make things worse.

He indicated that he will go after Moqtada al-Sadr, saying the cleric "must answer the charges against him and disband his illegal militia." This strongly suggests that Bush will order his troops to, as one senior commander said, "kill or capture" al-Sadr. And if that happens, all hell could break loose.

In his Manichaean worldview, Bush lumped the Iraqi insurgents in with the terrorists of 9/11. They are all "enemies of civilization," he said, and they share "a fanatical political ideology."

But many of those who are fighting against the U.S. occupation are not Al Qaeda members who want to destroy America and are not subscribers to the "ideology of terror." Rather, many are Iraqi nationalists who want to expel America from their own country because they have seen the brutality of the U.S. occupation.

That's a huge difference, and Bush makes a terrible mistake by conflating the two.

He also seems to have a static view of who the enemy is. He sees it as a finite group of innate murderers and evildoers. He thinks that all he needs to do is kill all the bad guys and victory is his.

But he doesn't understand that his policy is creating new enemies by the thousands every single day.

He warned that if the United States does not take "resolute action" and does not "stay the course" in Iraq, it will "recruit a new generation of killers."

What he failed to grasp is that by maintaining the brutal occupation, he himself is recruiting that generation.

And the more "firm" and "decisive" the U.S. military response, the more recruits Bush will be enlisting to fight against the United States.

Interestingly, the first question Bush got was on the Vietnam comparison.

But Bush did not want to hear anything about it. "The analogy is false," he said, without explaining why.

He did, however, suggest that it was almost treasonous to raise the specter of Vietnam. "That analogy sends the wrong message to our troops and to the enemy," he said.

(This is an echo of John Ashcroft's infamous statement that "those who scare peace-loving people with the phantoms of lost liberty" are giving "aid" and "ammunition" to America's enemies.)

In previous remarks, Bush has made clear that he believes the lesson of Vietnam is two-fold: first, that the political leaders interfered with the generals, and second, that the United States did not use overwhelming force.

If that is the lesson he applies here, the generals will run the war, and overwhelming force will be the order of the day.

Expect more troops to be sent over soon, or to have their tours extended. Bush said if General Abizaid wants more troops, which he does, he'll get them.

Bush also displayed again the full fervor of his messianic militarism.

Several times he mentioned that the war offered a "historic opportunity to change the world."

In one of his most emphatic moments, he said, "I also have this belief, strong belief, that freedom is not this country's gift to the world; freedom is the Almighty's gift to every man and woman in this world. And as the greatest power on the face of the Earth, we have an obligation to help the spread of freedom."

This is Bush saying that he is doing God's work in Iraq. That is a particularly inappropriate claim to make, leaving aside the obvious leaping of the church/state wall. Given that Bush has chosen to wage war in an Islamic country, it is unlikely that there are many Iraqis who are anxious to hear Bush's theological justifications.

Bush's rhetoric is proof once again that the government of the United States is in the hands of a crude and deluded leader, whose war policy in Iraq promises more disasters to come.

"Our work may become more difficult before it is finished," he said.

With Bush's approach, that is a guarantee.

Matthew Rothschild is the editor of The Progressive.

Copyright 2004 The Progressive

http://www.progressive.org/

* It is real difficult to understand how above average IQ people would still support this obviously simple minded,shallow, brain addled person that is trying to portray himself as the competent leader of America.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,848 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 06:01 pm
I'm way above average IQ and I support him all the way, as do the majority of Americans. It's difficult for me to understand why some people oppose him.

I don't have much time, but here's a point that needs to be discussed:

Quote:
What's more, Bush's vow to unleash "decisive force" will only make things worse.

He indicated that he will go after Moqtada al-Sadr, saying the cleric "must answer the charges against him and disband his illegal militia." This strongly suggests that Bush will order his troops to, as one senior commander said, "kill or capture" al-Sadr. And if that happens, all hell could break loose.

In his Manichaean worldview, Bush lumped the Iraqi insurgents in with the terrorists of 9/11. They are all "enemies of civilization," he said, and they share "a fanatical political ideology."

But many of those who are fighting against the U.S. occupation are not Al Qaeda members who want to destroy America and are not subscribers to the "ideology of terror." Rather, many are Iraqi nationalists who want to expel America from their own country because they have seen the brutality of the U.S. occupation.

That's a huge difference, and Bush makes a terrible mistake by conflating the two.

He also seems to have a static view of who the enemy is. He sees it as a finite group of innate murderers and evildoers. He thinks that all he needs to do is kill all the bad guys and victory is his.

But he doesn't understand that his policy is creating new enemies by the thousands every single day.

He warned that if the United States does not take "resolute action" and does not "stay the course" in Iraq, it will "recruit a new generation of killers."

What he failed to grasp is that by maintaining the brutal occupation, he himself is recruiting that generation.

The author is judging Arab civilization from a Western point of view, and that won't work. Sadr is negotiating his surrender right now. He will be a non-issue very soon. The potential new generation of killers will soon see that killing and thuggery are not good career paths. As a result, there will be no more killers generated in Iraq.

Here's an excerpt from an Iraqi blog:

Quote:

Iraqi blog page

Gotta go, bye...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 06:11 pm
Quote:
I'm way above average IQ and I support him all the way, as do the majority of Americans.

I won't question the first part of your statement. I suppose it could be true. But the second part.... are you kidding me?

If the majority of Americans support Bush that would indicate to me that we are a populace of declining intellect.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 06:19 pm
?
"I'm way above average IQ and I support him all the way, as do the majority of Americans."

The above statement is proof that you are not above average in IQ. Also,that you are a blatant liar, as are most Right Wingers.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 06:24 pm
Bush's press conference was an embarassment to America. Presidents should have superlative minds. Bush is average at best, and well below average in a public forum. He is an inarticualte speaker, which accounts for his avoidance of press conferences.

Clearly, Bush has reached his level of imcompetence. His escapade in Iraq suggests a crusade wrought by an immature, obsesseve mind
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 07:32 pm
Quote:
* It is real difficult to understand how above average IQ people would still support this obviously simple minded,shallow, brain addled person that is trying to portray himself as the competent leader of America.

Quote:
The above statement is proof that you are not above average in IQ. Also,that you are a blatant liar, as are most Right Wingers.

Those are the most absurd statements I've seen. YOu automatically assume Tarantulas is lying, and then assume all people who support Bush are stupid. THis is funny because i support Bush (not the war) and I have a very high IQ. I suggest you cut the patisan elitist attitude.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 07:41 pm
Partisan
I will not stop commenting as I wish to do.

Since your IQ is so freakin high how about countering my statements with some intelligent logic.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 07:43 pm
El Diablo, Please do not feed the monkeys. They just end up throwing their feces at you.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 07:49 pm
Re: ?
pistoff wrote:
"I'm way above average IQ and I support him all the way, as do the majority of Americans."

Okay, look. We don't have to like each other or respect each other's point of view. But knock off the insults, okay. That contributes nothing to the discussion.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 07:55 pm
Oops, another drive-by shooting in Lake Wobegone.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 07:56 pm
Quote:
Not because his second sentence was ungrammatical: "This has been tough weeks in that country."

Not because he pronounced "instigated" as "instikated" in his fourth sentence.

O C'mon. We all know bush is no English professor. And for the most part the article just showed Bush isnt good in rhetoric, whcih we already knew.

Quote:
Interestingly, the first question Bush got was on the Vietnam comparison.

But Bush did not want to hear anything about it. "The analogy is false," he said, without explaining why.

Well, once again Bush isn't very good at press conferences. I doubt he would answer many questions thoroughly. However he was right in saying that the analogy would send the wrong message to the troops. The author jumped to the conclusion that Bush implied it was treasaonous when he didnt. Of course troop morale will go down if we compare this war to vietnam, a war which were beaten handily. The other only real point made by the article, besides the point that Bush isnt pacifist, was countered by Tarantulas.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:01 pm
El-Diablo wrote:
O C'mon. We all know bush is no English professor. And for the most part the article just showed Bush isnt good in rhetoric, whcih we already knew.

Neither am I, but then, I'm not the president. If the President of the United States doesn't have to use correct grammar, why should our school kids? There obviously isn't a need for intelligence to hold the most important job in the country. Isn't that the message Bush sends.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:02 pm
OK
Counter the title of my post with intelligent logic.

Also, prove that the majority of Americans agree with W about the way he and his people have handled the illegal invasion of Iraq. Yeah, I realize that probably more Americans agreed than disagreed that the invasion was necessary given the reasons forwarded by Bushco before the invasion. The main reason in my view was that they were led to believe that Saddam was behind 911 Attacks somehow and the scare of WMDs and nexus of Saddam and Osama, none of which can be proven nor disproven 100%...yet.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:08 pm
Quote:
I'm not the president. If the President of the United States doesn't have to use correct grammar, why should our school kids? There obviously isn't a need for intelligence to hold the most important job in the country. Isn't that the message Bush sends.

School dont speak correct grammar and don't act liek they do. 99%people don't speak perfect grammar adn the only ones that do really are usually English professors. Please realize writing and speaking are two VERY different things. We type in correct grammar but most people sure as hell dont speak it. And the difference between instigate and instikate? They are really strethcing there. I mean the pronounce th words and they sound the same.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:13 pm
I just wonder how well you 'anybody but Bush' people would do taking unrehearsed questions which, with almost no exceptions, were not designed to question the president on policy or plans to correct any problems but were designed to embarrass him and put him on the spot.

The press conference was as disgusting a display of partisan journalism as I have ever seen.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:18 pm
Hey, my spelling, grammar and speaking abilities are far from perfect, but shouldn't we hold the president of the United States to a higher standard? I don't want a president that's just like me. I don't want one that's like 99.9% of the population either. I want my president to be highly intelligent and a fluent speaker.

Isn't L.A. where the school system tried to make Ebonics an official language to get the test scores up? If that's where we're headed we're in big trouble. Americans aren't only arrogant, we're dumb too.

Actually Foxfyre, he only took questions from pre-selected journalists, written on a list. The rest were ignored. Everything was rehearsed.

If he can't handle the pressure what's he doing behind the mic?
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:28 pm
foxfrye asks, "I just wonder how well you 'anybody but Bush' people would do taking unrehearsed questions....."

Clearly the poster has no understanding of how this or any other White House works.

Any president, even ADD George, is heavily rehearsed before appearing before the press to take questions.

In Bush's case, Rove and others (maybe Rice and Hughes too) threw question after question at Bush so he could rehearse his replies.

The difference last night and what made Bush come across so poorly is two-fold.

1.: Bush so rarely has press conferences he's out of practice. This assumes he ever had practice.

2.: Rove, I imagine, never dreamed the press would dare to question Bush so forthrightly.

I think the media honeymoon is over for Bush.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:30 pm
I agree that scary describes Bush's performance to a "T."

To think, this mumbling, stammering and gaffawing idiot is in charge of the troops and has his finger on the nuclear button is enough to make me shake in fear.

To my mind, Bush is deranged.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 08:34 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I just wonder how well you 'anybody but Bush' people would do taking unrehearsed questions which, with almost no exceptions, were not designed to question the president on policy or plans to correct any problems but were designed to embarrass him and put him on the spot.

The press conference was as disgusting a display of partisan journalism as I have ever seen.

Again, this falls under the concept that the president should be above par.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 09:57 pm
Aside
Beyond the fact that this person can barely speak, his attempt at logic is sub par. He stated that the Almighty gave America freedom and that it is America's duty to spread democracy.

God according to the bible was not quite a propenant of democracy.

I. Thou shall have no other gods before me.
II. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.
III. Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain.

GW Bush keeps saying the Freedom is a gift from the Almighty. It is America's duty to spread Democracy. The people in Iraq who are resisting Occupation are now considered enemies of Freedom and Democracy. These people are called insurgents, rebels, terrorists, thugs and gangsters. It seems that GW Bush's God is alright with killing these people and/or incarcerating them. God is on America's side because America stands for Freedom and Democracy and all those that do not agree shall be killed or imprisoned if they openly resist. God is on America's side and America's plan for their country. Anyone that does not not believe this must not believe in God, Freedom or Democracy.
0 Replies