Thomas Jefferson (please help me)

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:22 pm
Hey everyone, do you think that Thomas Jefferson was a good Politician and Statesman and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 964 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:24 pm
Check this out:

http://www.pbs.org/jefferson/

Should give you some good ideas that you can use.
0 Replies

Iceflare

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:25 pm
thanks
0 Replies

Iceflare

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:28 pm
sorry guys i didnt know i put it in here
0 Replies

Iceflare

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:52 pm
Please anyone ?
0 Replies

Iceflare

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:53 pm
Please anyone ?
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 07:56 am
It is my opinion Jefferson is the best politician we have been honored to have served us. I give him the lion's share of credit for our country possessing a truly secular form of government. He, more than anyone else, understood that the nation he was watching being born needed normal, everyday men, not kings or gods, to wear the purple robes and crowns. It is the ultimate act of faith in ourselves and the admission that if we are to better our lot in life, we must do it ourselves.

For that alone, he stands first in my book of great political figures.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 01:57 pm
I think that Jefferson made many important contributions. Of course, one would have to start with his authorship of the Declaration of Independence. He took a routine assignment from the Continental Congress and used it to write what is probably the most influential statement of the fundamental rights of man in world history. In 1774, he wrote a widely read pamphlet entitled "A Summary View of the Rights of British America," stating the colonial position for independence and foreshadowing many of the ideas in the Declaration of Independence. During the revolution, he re-wrote the laws of his native Virgina, making many important contributions, such as the abolition of primogeniture (inheritance only by the eldest son). He was also instrumental in the development of the separation of church and state in America, preventing the establishment of a theocratic government. During his presidency, he used his navy to fight the Barbary pirates, rather than continuing the practice of paying tribute to them, and he greatly expanded the size of the United States through the Louisiana Purchase. Throughout his life, he worked to protect the people from the creation of a strong, dictatorial central government.
0 Replies