I want an effective grammar textbook.

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 10:01 pm
I was hoping someone could recommend an effective grammar textbook. I am a native English speaker interested in learning about grammar so that I can improve my college writing skills. I also want to learn rules and definitions of grammar so I can talk about it in technical terms. In Elementary and High School I only learned how to hear correct grammar, but not the rules behind it. I need the textbook to include the following:
1) It must start with the most basic grammar such as parts of speech and sentence structure.
2) It must include grammar rules and definitions. The textbook I am finding just show examples and do not explain the underlying rules.
3) It must have some practice problems and answers.
4) It needs to be geared to the appropriate audience. It cannot be too simple, but I do not want a textbook geared toward linguistics. It can be an ESL book as long as it meets the first three requirements.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 943 • Replies: 9
No top replies

fresco

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2013 11:57 pm
@David Lewis,
I suggest you investigate the difference between descriptive grammar and prescriptive grammar before making such a request
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 12:11 am
@David Lewis,
I can't come up with a specific text, but if you're near a community college, you might check out their bookstore for an English textbook used in their secretarial type courses.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 01:20 am
@David Lewis,
I certainly wouldn't recommend the one what I read.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 01:21 am
@David Lewis,
These are good ones

http://www.amazon.com/The-Gregg-Reference-Manual-Formatting/dp/0073397105/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

http://www.amazon.com/Garners-Modern-American-Usage-Garner/dp/0195382757/ref=la_B001H6UIJE_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386227889&sr=1-1
Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 02:55 am
All of us have our wants . . .

0 Replies

swastik

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 06:29 am
@David Lewis,
I suggest to you "English Grammar and Usage" book. It is very famous for learning and speaking English. It is written by the Larry Beason. In this book many types of the trick for fast learning English by the McGraw-Hill.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 06:33 am
@swastik,
And may I say what a great example you are of the studying of the Larry Beason.

Well done!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2013 06:40 am
@swastik,
Another tragic case of botulism.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 12:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
Those are both god awful ones, BFN.

M-W Dictionary of English Usage